mtbr member

a dumb rant deleted

dumb rant posted earlier, was in a bad mood
    Last edited by mjsca07; 01-30-2007 at 02:33 AM. Reason: dumb rant

Double-metric mtb man
    Sorry if you feel ignored....

I'm a dang canuck and am still riding despite the cold and snow. It's a challenge (heck, some days a downright b!+ch) and I hate to rub the fact in, especially if you're out of commission with a busted wrist. I do hope you heal quickly and can get back out riding soon.

When I don't ride (which is generally when things get below -15C for a stretch), I usually tinker on the bike as I've been bitten by upgrade-itis, do stuff on the computer, read, do some crafty stuff, volunteer with a first aid volunteer organization and work. Pretty boring, in a way.

It can be frustrating in a forum aimed squarely at injuries, but who knows, maybe some others will jump in and we can expand it a bit.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Broken wrists are topics here

I have one and others have posted their stories. Sorry about yours but you have to stay positive. Read every post on every thread here for as much info you get (like my "distal radius fracture" thread below). As far as the fear thing, I'm still snowbound here in Colorado but when I do start riding real trails again I'm hoping my fear of going OTB doesn't actually cause me to go OTB by being too freakin' cautious, but boy oh boy I do not want to go OTB. I may start being the slowest descender on the planet for this season just to see how it goes. Maybe I'll start looking for rides that I can climb for hours then get picked up at the top so I eliminate the chance of a downhill tumble. Or not.

I just kept on with my life one-handed. As I told everyone everything took 4 times as long to do, my good hand just got so tired and tweaked doing stuff I usually did with my right so I did it all much slower. Through the first 4 months I just kept thinking that "this too shall pass" and sooner or later I could be really two-handed again. I'm there now almost 6 months after surgery but things are still weird what with my left hand twice strong as my right. You're lucky, you can play video games already. I couldn't mouse with my right hand for two months so no games. That was tough.
    Last edited by xcguy; 01-30-2007 at 07:54 AM.

Team Cspine

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by mjsca07
    dumb rant posted earlier, was in a bad mood
    I broke my neck last April in Moab, what're you complaining about?
    Sorry what?

mtbr member

Not a wrist injury, but.......

I've been off the bike for well over two years. First, I tore a flexor tendon in my left index finger and had that surgically repaired. Second, I had a herniated L4-5 disc in my back and had a microdiscectomy to repair that last Oct. It has been pretty damn grueling not being able to ride......could've used the prozac. Luckily, I work quite a bit. I spent a lot of my free time doing a lot of rehab and reading about new and interesting things. Good news, though.......my new ride should be ready in the next couple of days, and I'm so looking forward to hitting the trail for the first time this weekend!

Best of luck with your recovery!

Team Cspine
    That's brutal. What did they do to your L4-L5, take the disc out and put a graft in place?

That's what they did in my case the 2nd time around, put the grafts in between C4 & 5 and C5 & 6 then put the plates over that. Oh yea then they finished up by putting shorter rods and 6 more screws on the posterior side of the same vertebrae!

Wooo! Some fun! Fortunately after the 2nd surgery I was in a lot better shape immediately although it took a couple of months to get over the actual surgery this time. I've been peddling on the trainer for a while to, the only question at this point is how long I can hold my fat head up while I'm riding.

Good luck! Not being able to ride has just about driven me insane to.
    Sorry what?

mtbr member
    Bulletbob, my injury wasn't 1/10 as bad as yours! Need I ask how you injured your neck in Moab? Any injury with the spine is a frightening injury! I'm happy to hear that you are recovering.

I was a hardcore skateboarder for years, during my younger days, and have ridden/raced mountain bikes (DH included).......never been seriously injured doing those activities. Funny, but tennis has abused my body more than every other activity, combined. My herniated disc (L4-5) was the latest. I had a microdiscectomy done............a 3/4 inch incision was made, tube was put in place, and the doctor operated with the use of a light/scope and tools. They pretty much just 'pushed' the compressed nerve to the side and removed the part of the disc that was protruding into the spinal canal and affecting that nerve. It only required a night at the hospital. I can say, after five different surgeries (back, 2 shoulders, hand and inguinal hernia), this one was the most painless one of them all. I was able to walk normally after surgery and was virtually pain free. After four months, my rehab's just about complete. One positive out of this whole ordeal is that I'm now fully more 'in-tune' with my body (ie. making sure I do everything with proper form and posture). I'd just hate to have to go through this again. Props to my surgeron........I'm glad I listened to him rather than friends and strangers trying to play doctor! It's also amazing how far medical technology has come over the past few years!
    I just got my new Yeti 575 yesterday, so I'll be taking my first ride in two weeks! Keep me up to date with your recovery!