Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    729

    Upset This !#@%&**#-ing sucks !!

    my 1st ride after being sidelined by a bad cold for a week and I get this:

    "There is improved anatomic alignment of the comminuted distal radial fracture.
    Again seen is the ulnar styloid fracture"

    Yesterday i thought it was just the radial fracture. Long story short: was riding my usual ride the day after x-mas, theres a couple short ledges, about 2' each, that are in quick succession. This is a normal ride for me, normally i do these without giving it a second thought. For some reason my front wheel stuck, i think there was a loose rock in the middle of thr trail, and i went OTB and landed after the second ledge, so i had that xtra 2 feet of falling distance. I had done it so many times i must have gotten complacent, evidently i needed to be farther back over the rear wheel.


    i'm already tiring of taking pain pills. Anyway, I guess I'll be on this forum for a while sharing my misery with the rest of you. I'm keeping this short because I'm not very good at typing with one hand. My wrist looked pretty deformed after the crash, was told the radius bone was at a 45 degree angle. They were able to pull it back into place in the ER
    (which hurt like a bastard despite the meds they had me on), but doc says he thinks i need surgery cause its rotated. Will post more details as I find out more

  2. #2
    Forgiven
    Reputation: road dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    426
    Sorry to hear. Get well soon and keep us all posted.

  3. #3
    Double-metric mtb man
    Reputation: Psycho Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,483
    Here's hoping you heal up quick and can be back on two wheels soon
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

    Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

  4. #4
    AKA Dr.Nob
    Reputation: gumbymark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    887
    Broken wrists are a trend around here. Since I did mine about 4 months ago 4 other people have done theirs and another 5 had a try but just were not cool enough and only ended up with sprains and bruises.

    If your really lucky you might get a very cool titanium part, unfortunatly they can't be seen unless there is an xray machine around.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882

    That's a distal radius fracture

    I had the same thing, only I fell backwards off a ladder. When I looked at it my hand was going down and my wrist was going up. I said "that's busted". I can feel your pain when they tried to "reduce" your fracture (push it back into place). They stuck a needle down into the bone to deaden it then pushed like a sumb!tch. That's my new standard for pain. Read all about it here:

    distal radius fracture--4 months later
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    729
    Thanks for the encouragement. I'm hoping to be back on the bike in a couple months.
    Is that an underestimate ? Any longer than that I'll be getting pretty out of shape.
    The most annoying thing about this is i wasn't trying some rad new technical downhill,
    this was just a rough section on an everyday ride. No heroics involved here.
    Maybe I'm just crash prone.

  7. #7
    Forgiven
    Reputation: road dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    Thanks for the encouragement. I'm hoping to be back on the bike in a couple months.
    Is that an underestimate ? Any longer than that I'll be getting pretty out of shape.
    The most annoying thing about this is i wasn't trying some rad new technical downhill,
    this was just a rough section on an everyday ride. No heroics involved here.
    Maybe I'm just crash prone.
    Can't speak to how long it will take to recover, everyone/injury is so unique. A few months does sound reasonable. Healing a right ankle myself that is painfully slow.

    Sounds like car crash syndrome.. That is, most accidents happen within a few miles of home. Too familiar with the trail I suppose. It happens bro, don't let yourself get down.

    As for fitness, don't worry. When the pain starts to subside hit the indoor trainer. At least you can get quality base work done at no risk..

    Hey, another thing. Last year we traded a few posts about my purchase of an Epiphany. What frame did you end up with??? You seemed partial to the Chumba at the time...

    And until we're riding again at least we've got MTBR to keep us entertained!
    Last edited by road dirt; 12-29-2007 at 10:52 AM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by road dirt
    Can't speak to how long it will take to recover, everyone/injury is so unique. A few months does sound reasonable. Healing a right ankle myself that is painfully slow.

    Sounds like car crash syndrome.. That is, most accidents happen within a few miles of home. Too familiar with the trail I suppose. It happens bro, don't let yourself get two down.

    As for fitness, don't worry. When the pain starts to subside hit the indoor trainer. At least you can get quality base work done at no risk..

    Hey, another thing. Last year we traded a few posts about my purchase of an Epiphany. What frame did you end up with??? You seemed partial to the Chumba at the time...

    And until we're riding again at least we've got MTBR to keep us entertained!
    Yes, I have a membership in a fitness club which I had only used a few times up to now,
    its just so much more fun being outdoors doing what we love, riding.

    The Epi was at the top of my list for awhile. Then after a few exchanges with derby and
    others who trashed the whole concept of ICT as its presented by T.E., anyway, I decided to look elsewhere and ended up settling on the XCL. Who knows, the Epi might have been better for my style of riding. How do you like it ?

  9. #9
    Forgiven
    Reputation: road dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    Yes, I have a membership in a fitness club which I had only used a few times up to now,
    its just so much more fun being outdoors doing what we love, riding.

    The Epi was at the top of my list for awhile. Then after a few exchanges with derby and
    others who trashed the whole concept of ICT as its presented by T.E., anyway, I decided to look elsewhere and ended up settling on the XCL. Who knows, the Epi might have been better for my style of riding. How do you like it ?

    Ahh, the gym.. ugh.. I actually don't mind the elliptical trainers and spin classes. The views are OK too..

    The Epi is awesome. Yeah, people bash them but it's been the real deal. It really is a do everything bike, other than the obvious. I come from road bike and XC roots so it's perfect for where I ride and how. Set it up with new XTR, a Talas, Mavic and Ritchey. It came out pretty sweet. Light and wicked fast. I do like the looks of the Chumba too. Seems SOLID.. I've got a few buddies that ride the IBIS Mojo. Dude, that bike is crazy. I was way suspect of carbon, but I think they got it nailed. DW-link seems to propel you forward. It's almost strange.

    So, the wrist sore?? Make sure you take the meds. Pain killers suck, but anti-inflammatories can help a ton.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by road dirt
    Ahh, the gym.. ugh.. I actually don't mind the elliptical trainers and spin classes. The views are OK too..

    The Epi is awesome. Yeah, people bash them but it's been the real deal. It really is a do everything bike, other than the obvious. I come from road bike and XC roots so it's perfect for where I ride and how. Set it up with new XTR, a Talas, Mavic and Ritchey. It came out pretty sweet. Light and wicked fast. I do like the looks of the Chumba too. Seems SOLID.. I've got a few buddies that ride the IBIS Mojo. Dude, that bike is crazy. I was way suspect of carbon, but I think they got it nailed. DW-link seems to propel you forward. It's almost strange.

    So, the wrist sore?? Make sure you take the meds. Pain killers suck, but anti-inflammatories can help a ton.
    Pain is a little better, I'm trying to stay off the pain meds as much as possible. I see the doc tomorrow. Hope i wont need surgery, but what they've said so far is I probably will,
    so I'm not optimistic about that. Whatever I need to do though, I want to get it over with
    as quickly as possible so I begin the healing process.

    I've got kind of an AM build on the XCL, Pike 454, DHX, probably around 32.5 - 33 lbs.
    I agree with you about the dw-link. I had a chance to ride one about a month ago - an mkiii
    - and the acceleration you can get with those is very nice. I noticed a tiny bit of pedal
    feedback which some have blamed on not having the sag exactly precise. Still a great ride, tho. I haven't ridden anything yet that does as well with technical climbing and traction as the XCL. On long, seated granny climbs it can feel a little sluggish, though.
    I guess the perfect bike hasn't been designed yet.

    Yes, thats a benefit of going to the gym is the views. How far are you along with your
    healing ? Did you have to have surgery ?

  11. #11
    Forgiven
    Reputation: road dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    Pain is a little better, I'm trying to stay off the pain meds as much as possible. I see the doc tomorrow. Hope i wont need surgery, but what they've said so far is I probably will,
    so I'm not optimistic about that. Whatever I need to do though, I want to get it over with
    as quickly as possible so I begin the healing process.

    I've got kind of an AM build on the XCL, Pike 454, DHX, probably around 32.5 - 33 lbs.
    I agree with you about the dw-link. I had a chance to ride one about a month ago - an mkiii
    - and the acceleration you can get with those is very nice. I noticed a tiny bit of pedal
    feedback which some have blamed on not having the sag exactly precise. Still a great ride, tho. I haven't ridden anything yet that does as well with technical climbing and traction as the XCL. On long, seated granny climbs it can feel a little sluggish, though.
    I guess the perfect bike hasn't been designed yet.

    Yes, thats a benefit of going to the gym is the views. How far are you along with your
    healing ? Did you have to have surgery ?

    Glad to hear the pain is subsiding. Being injured sucks. I mean really sucks. I forget how good I have it when I am healthy. I've never had surgery but could be facing it this go around. It's my right ankle which is supposed to be my good one. Well, I twisted it hard at work and in the process of x-rays and evaluation they found a cyst that may have to be removed. I was also told that I have significant arthritis in the right joint. Ugh. It's been almost 5 weeks and I went for a half hour spin on the rollers a few days ago and felt OK. I'm going to give the Road bike a go for a light spin tomorrow morning to see how things are. The pain is gone until the late evening. A sign I'm not fully healed. I see the DR. next week and probably off for an MRI and then a true foot Doc. Worst part is my left ankle needs arthroscopic from past injury. It's overdue, I need to grin a bear it. I do function well now, am on 'light' duty at work and camp on the couch at home.. My wife has been a champ. Before Christmas she handed me a stack of Christmas CD's and said 'here, make yourself useful and load these in iTunes' and walked away laughing. It was pretty funny..

    The Chumba sounds NICE... My Buddy just built the IBIS up AM. The thing rocks..

    Don't be afraid of the pain meds if you're really hurting. The thing I've learned about being injured this go around is how tense the rest of my body got. I believe pain med use for simply the first few days to week helped. Long term would blow..

    Any plans for where you're going to ride next year??

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •