Lost my signal...

Toolset for the Monocog?

I've been reading through threads and threads about tools and toolsets, and I'm wondering if anyone here has ever compiled a list of the tools specific to the Monocog?

Typically I'm of the mindset that a kit is less expensive in the long run over buying each tool separately, but all the kits I've looked at typically contain tools I may never use.

When riding I have the prerequisite bike-oriented multitool, a couple of adjustable wrenches, and a pump. But, I want something more comprehensive for the garage. I've had a buddy use his tools to help me tighten a rattle I had in the bottom bracket area, so that's what convinced me to start the collection. That, and I really need to learn more about the bike. But, that's another story...
    Redline Monocog 29er - learning the joy of SS one hill at a time

habitual line-stepper
    the only things i'll need to add to my hydration pack when my 2010 monocog arrives are some open-ended wrenches/adjustable wrench for the nutted rear axle and maybe a 29er tube or two. otherwise i have a starter tool kit from sette i got last fall that has all the essentials. only thing i've added was cable cutters, though i do need isis/octalink crank-arm pullers.

i was able to build my 26" HT with the aforementioned set. starting small, working my way up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kanai
    the only things i'll need to add to my hydration pack when my 2010 monocog arrives are some open-ended wrenches/adjustable wrench for the nutted rear axle and maybe a 29er tube or two. otherwise i have a starter tool kit from sette i got last fall that has all the essentials. only thing i've added was cable cutters, though i do need isis/octalink crank-arm pullers.

i was able to build my 26" HT with the aforementioned set. starting small, working my way up!
    Your kit didn't come with a crank puller? The current starter kit does, did it change? I added cable cutters, chain ring nut tool to my Sette Kit I purchased. Rounds out the kit so you basically have everything you need for every job except for the larger tools like headset press and things on that nature.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Lost my signal...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtolds
    Your kit didn't come with a crank puller? The current starter kit does, did it change? I added cable cutters, chain ring nut tool to my Sette Kit I purchased. Rounds out the kit so you basically have everything you need for every job except for the larger tools like headset press and things on that nature.
    That's part of what I'm trying to figure out - the crank remover on the Sette ST-21 kit says it's for ISIS and Shimano. Is that what's on the Monocog 29er?

I'm assuming the kit you're referring to is the ST-21. Or, is it a different one?
    Redline Monocog 29er - learning the joy of SS one hill at a time

habitual line-stepper
    it is the st-21. it does come with a crank puller, but it only worked for me on square-taper bb/cranks (which i believe is stock on monocog 29ers). i tried it with the fsa cranks on my mkiii to no avail. buuut, since i'm still a total newb, i passed over the adapter for isis/octalink (i always wondered that piece was for, thanks mtbr!). so i guess i'm set, and can remove, clean, lube and tighten up those creaky fsa's.

i think jerk chicken has a thread floating around for a DIY headset press. worked like a charm for me.

mtbr member
    it is the st-21. it does come with a crank puller, but it only worked for me on square-taper bb/cranks (which i believe is stock on monocog 29ers). i tried it with the fsa cranks on my mkiii to no avail. buuut, since i'm still a total newb, i passed over the adapter for isis/octalink (i always wondered that piece was for, thanks mtbr!). so i guess i'm set, and can remove, clean, lube and tighten up those creaky fsa's.

i think jerk chicken has a thread floating around for a DIY headset press. worked like a charm for me.
    Yeah it should work for Square taper, Truvativ Isis, and Shimano Octalink.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    the only things i'll need to add to my hydration pack when my 2010 monocog arrives are some open-ended wrenches/adjustable wrench for the nutted rear axle and maybe a 29er tube or two.
    Ah...that reminds me. I should put my new spare 29-er inner tube somewhere on my bike. I flop back and forth from my 26 and 29 so I should probably look into strapping the respective tube onto the seatpost!