mtbr member

Stock Monocog wheelset weight?

Has anyone weighed the stock wheelset on their Monocog? They feel heavy compared to the Bontrager Rythm Comp wheelset on my other bike but I don't have a scale to verify just how heavy they are. Trying to figure out if it is worth the money for a 2100g wheelset build with Flows and Hope hubs.
    Signature

Apr 2007
    They're heavy. Not that strong, either. The Flow/Hope will blow the stock ones out of the water. They're not even in the same league. Like Ugly Betty vs. Adriana Lima

mtbr member
    True. I'm actually looking at the SunRingle Charger Pro wheelset now. Although probably not as good as the custom build with Hopes it is better for my budget.

As cheap as this stock wheelset is I haven't had any real issues with them. Had the hubs submerged a few times over the last four years and I have never serviced them...still spin smooth and fast. But, like you said, they are lead anchors.
    Signature

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    True. I'm actually looking at the SunRingle Charger Pro wheelset now. Although probably not as good as the custom build with Hopes it is better for my budget.

As cheap as this stock wheelset is I haven't had any real issues with them. Had the hubs submerged a few times over the last four years and I have never serviced them...still spin smooth and fast. But, like you said, they are lead anchors.
    Don't know much about SunRingle, but look at Flow/ZTR combo. I almost bought the Crest/ZTR earlier this year for $375. I'd still like to get them, but have to fund another project first. A friend with the Flow/ZTR combo loves them and has had no issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have been looking at a wheelset upgrade on my Monocog 29er too and went through the same thought process to justify the money to make sure I was not spending hundreds $$ to shave 100 grams. I weighed my wheels and found the front was 1125 grams (not including QR) and the rear with the bolt and cog was 1485 grams. I figure I can drop atleast 700 grams pretty easily. Thats a lot of rotational weight.

mtbr member
    my 2010 26" came with Alex DH19 rims, which are pretty darn heavy. I rode them a few times and replaced them with Mavic 517 rims, which allowed me to re-lace the wheels using the same spokes. I dropped a ton of weight off the wheels this way. combine that with some Continental Race King 2.2 tires, and the bike has lost a lot of it's heft.