mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Some D440 Questions...

I'm heavily considering the Redline D440 for my first bike in 15+ years. I'm a heavy clyde (6'1", 350+lbs), so I like the idea of going for a fully rigid cro-mo. Anyhow, one of the first things I plan on doing is getting a custom hand-built wheelset (either locally or from mikesee). I had a question regarding axle options... which is: what are my axle options for the D440? I'm really trying to pick up all the different terminology and standards... so bear with me if I'm asking a stupid question. Also, any clearance issues with going with a fat tire like the Big Apple 2.35"? I emailed redline last week, but haven't gotten a response, so I thought I'd try here... Thanks!

Apr 2007
    I'd think you'd be fine with the stock axle set up. Wheels would be the main concern, but I'm sure a custom builder can hook you up.

You shouldn't have any issues with Big Apples. I had a Monocog, which has the same geo, I believe, and it had ample room even with the stock WTB 2.3's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Do you happen to know what the stock axle setup is?

Apr 2007
    Just a regular QR up front and thru axle out back. Pretty stout set up, IMO. If you choose to go with the thru axle up front, it shouldn't be a problem. I'd contact Redline just to make sure, though. I don't remember what the fork looks like.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I'd think you'd be fine with the stock axle set up. Wheels would be the main concern, but I'm sure a custom builder can hook you up.

You shouldn't have any issues with Big Apples. I had a Monocog, which has the same geo, I believe, and it had ample room even with the stock WTB 2.3's.

no problems with tire clearance, i used to run a wtb weirwolf 2.55 on the front with no problems.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    What about the upgrade-ability of this bike? Will there be any issues going to a front suspension fork down the road? Does this frame/bike have any limitations I should know of when it comes to upgrades? What about just turning it into a single speed down the road?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Take a look at the "show your redlines here" post. Lots of nicely upgraded D440s. Post #416 show one suspended and single speed. I believe the only way to go single speed is to use some sort of tensioner as they did.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I run a Rock shox reba 100mm on mine so you should be fine.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'