Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Figured out the photos!

The MC26 has had a lot of changes and will soon be some strange 4 or 5 geared monster. The 29er is pretty much stock right now, except for the Ninja.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    See you at the trailhead!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Here's my new D660 in 21"

It just arrived the other day. I have two rides on it so far and love it. I came from a 2007 Giant Anthem 2 fully slung machine so I wasn't sure if I could go to a hard tail. Twenty-Nine inches of rolling stock have made me a believer.

Don't believe the Hype...
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    only stock bits are the frame, fork, seatpost, and seatpost clamp
    That's Awesome. What kind of Motor is that? That looks very clean. Is that the 2.35 Big Apples? How are they?
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

mtbr member

my d440........

Slow but unsteady

Redline D-460, stock so far

Disabled Vet

my newest redline...a project!!!

here's my newest,an '07 flite frame/fork i picked up that'd never been built up.this is gunna replace my rocky mtn blizzard as my gearie 26er ride,makin me all redline all the time (till i finnish puttin my old trek 6000 back together as a spare or raodie).

it may take a little while,tho,i gots to sell some stuff to finance it,but i'm plannin a 1x8,w/ a convertable travel boinger and fat tires
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

You know, for kids
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard
    That's Awesome. What kind of Motor is that? That looks very clean. Is that the 2.35 Big Apples? How are they?

heh, I'm the motor! That big hub is a Nuvinci CVPT internal transmission. They are 2.35 Big Apples and I love them but I'll be switching to 2.0 Marathon Supremes in a couple of months after riding the Big Apples for 1.5 years now.

here's the latest pics with rack, waterproof panniers, and fenders. I have since added a Axiom Hudson trunk bag. I think I'm done adding stuff to it, for now...

Last edited by madcap; 07-29-2008 at 05:44 PM.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    My new baby... very similar to stinkymutt's

Ride da mOOn Moderator

2008 Redline Monocog 29er 2x9 hybrid

Compilation of:

2008 Redline Monocog 29er
    2007 Redline Mono 9
    2006 Redline Monocog 29er

So I had to do it!

I liked the Mono 9, but I liked the frame angles and feel of the Monocog 29er SS more!

So here's the result from combining a new 2008 Monocog 29er frame with parts from the other bikes and some other parts.

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 08-14-2008 at 04:37 PM.

mtbr member
    how did you get the derailleuer hanger on there?

here is the latest incarnation of mine.

upgrades include
    eno crankset
    avid bb7s
    vassago odis fork - doing the 1st ride on this over the weekend.
    thompson post
    and i am back to a more traditional bar after snapping my origin 8 space bars in two. my next upgrade will probably be a boone cog.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

CA1976:

I used an old school steel derailer hanger from an old Ross bicycle I had in the shop and machined it a bit. As a stop so the axle wouldn't slide forward under power on the cog side I put a little nut in the slot of the chainstay that's held in by the skewer. I also placed an old school chain tensioner(tugger) on the opposite side, and used a bolt on skewer.

I will try to get close up pics of this stuff, but remember it's really old school and jerry rigged for now just to see if it works like I thought it would. If all goes well I'm going to machine little pieces to fit the chainstay slots to keep the rear wheel aligned and epoxy them in. This way the wheel will be back a bit, but still give me the shortest chainstay position with the wide tire.

I like your set up does it climb well?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    CA1976:

I like your set up does it climb well?
    thanks. i tested the fork yesterday afternoon, and i was very impressed. i think it climbe really well. i also put some new tires on yesterday that had me feeling glued to the trail. i think i am finally getting used to the more traditional bars which helps. for the first year or so i rode it with a space/mary bar. after breaking the bar in two, i am a little afraid of bendy aluminum bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

here's my little friend

These are old images but, I can't remember how to downsize the pics to fit the parameters... the first is stock and the second is how I turned it into a commuter for the winter. i am now working on putting the drop bars on for singetracking. Got a sorta high rise stem. Interested to see if the bars give enough leverage for climbing...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

actually, not quite stock

I guess I did add the barends and the BB7s

Disabled Vet
    kool commuter digs!when i actually worked close enuff to home to be possible to ride to work last year,i did up my '04 26er monocog w/ slix,rack/trunk,and lights and rode it to n fro too!let us know how the drops do off road...w/ a set of cross tires,wouldn't that be like a monster cross bike?i had been tinkering w/ that idea myself.sometime betweenst now and spring,i'm lookin to buy a monocog 29er (i ride the d440-my 1st 29er-so much i don't wanna go back,but i have the SS itch...my 26er needs a partner),but had been curious about the whole monster cross thing,but wanted to do it on the cheap (in case i didn't like it+i dig functional yet inexpensive),so i may would buy a second one used.....uh,sorry so long winded,but that's why i wuz asking =)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

monstercross

Hey LHT-hey I did the monstercross thing last year by leaving the mtb tires on and adding the drops with the stem that is pictured in the commuter pic. That stem doesn't have the rise to use for singletrack but it worked pretty well for cross. I only did one race-I had to go check out the WWCXWC in Portland last year and figured I should try it, I raced the beginner group. That was a ton of fun. I used a 32:16 ratio. Very cool. I hope to more of the same this fall.

I would highly recommend the MC29er. How can you go wrong?

keep em rolling

mtbr member
    Here's my 2007 Monocog 29er. All stock except for the brakes, levers and grips. I put on some Ergon grips, Avid FR-5 levers and a Deore V in the rear and an Avid SD-7 on the front. I actually like the feel of the Deore better than the Avid so I am going to swap ou the front to Deore also. Love the way the bike rides on my rooty trails. It doesn't want to turn as well as my 26 but really enjoying it.
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm new to 29ers but am looking to buy the Redline monocog. I'm not sure if I should build up a frame with spare parts I have, or just buy the complete bike.

Anyway I have a spare set of XTR v-brakes and XT levers, will those fit or do 29ers take some special brake?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    only thing special on a 29er is the tires and rim can use 26er bits fo
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

mine

blurry bit. mobile phone pic.

bb7's rest stock. love her

1x1

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Your Brooks...

Quote Originally Posted by tha1000
    My new baby... very similar to stinkymutt's

What kind of riding do you do, in what kind of climate and how does the Brooks hold up? Looks great in the photo. Just wondering if it is sensitive to water/mud?

drunken pirate
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Disabled Vet

Hope better late then never?

Quote Originally Posted by alpka
    Hey LHT-hey I did the monstercross thing last year by leaving the mtb tires on and adding the drops with the stem that is pictured in the commuter pic. That stem doesn't have the rise to use for singletrack but it worked pretty well for cross. I only did one race-I had to go check out the WWCXWC in Portland last year and figured I should try it, I raced the beginner group. That was a ton of fun. I used a 32:16 ratio. Very cool. I hope to more of the same this fall.

I would highly recommend the MC29er. How can you go wrong?

keep em rolling
    sorry it took me so long to see this...this site is sooooooo slow on my last century pc w/ dial up,i shy away from this particular thread (took me almost 26 minutes to see it...ugh),a new pc/hi-spd coming soon tho

anyhoo,thanx for the info.nope,nobody could go wrong w/ a monocog (new '08's were sellin for only $450 at my lbs!).i plan on gettin a new one by spring.nothing wrong w/ my old one,but after riding the d440 almost exclusively since june,i'm hooked on 29ers
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Alpka,

I ride mostly southern sandy single track in South MS and red clay single track in West TN when I'm up there. The brooks is awesome. It is sensitive to water/mud. But it's been so dry this summer, that I haven't had much of a problem with it. I do carry a plastic grocery bag in my camelback to tie over it incase of a gully washer, lol. I've got the bottom coated with wax, proofide. It's a very comfortable saddle. The leather squeaks a bit and it is heavy as a brick, but I can literally ride all day without a complaint from my rear end.

There's a tread discussing the pros and cons on the 29er forum. It seems, you either love it or hate it. No middle ground.

BROOKS Saddles. Anyone running one for their mountain bike?
    Last edited by tha1000; 10-07-2008 at 08:36 AM.

mtbr member
    i posted them in a different thread, but i thought they would go good here too.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast