Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    The Anthem does look a bit greener than I remember...I can already tell the Monocog will be a blast to ride. My short ride through the parking lot made me feel like I transported back to being a 9-year-old with my first cool BMX bike.

Funny thing is my wife came up with the idea for the Monocog all on her own after the Anthem suffered a few recent mechanical issues (toasted a bottom bracket and snapped a pivot bolt after 9-months of ownership). She wanted me to have a second bike that was fun to ride, was relatively low maintenance, and could hold up to as much abuse as I could throw at it.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    She wanted me to have a second bike that was fun to ride, was relatively low maintenance, and could hold up to as much abuse as I could throw at it.
    she picked the right one.

they are a lot of fun to upgrade. you can do as much or as little as you want. i would recomend some bars with some sweep like the space bar, mary, luv handle, etc. they make hammering up hills more enjoyable for me.

mtbr member
    Not sure what I'll do with the bar. They do seem a bit wide compared to the bar on my Anthem (I hacked approx 1-inch off each side of the stock Easton). Guess I'll get a few rides under my belt and figure out where to go from there. I'm kind of leaning towards a carbon bar though.
    Signature

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Look what followed me home from the store this week

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    ]My Mono9 , converted to 3X9 with XT gears and LX crankset .
    Celebrated 690 Km's on it yesterday.
    Love it .

image0.jpg

image5.jpg

image10.jpg

[ATTACH]347603[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images

You know, for kids
    only stock bits are the frame, fork, seatpost, and seatpost clamp

disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    Hows that rear hub working for you? Looks cool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I hope you didn't have to drink that PBR in order to get the bottle cap.

mtbr member
    4-5-07 027

mtbr member
    How did you get that PBR cap to stick on there?
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcutterx
    4-5-07 027
    Is this the 08 Flight or did you powder coat something???

mtbr member
    its a custom powder coat. that frame was the ugly green when i got it.

mtbr member
    How did you get that PBR cap to stick on there?
    i am going to guess its the niner YAWYD (you are what you drink) top cap
    http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=398&page=1

loud hubs save lives
    replacement frame, wearing an M-29 and 9 gears.

Tactical Wheel Man
    Little off the farm here but she's still a REDLINE! First BMX machine in 18 years. Couple shots of the new steed below.

Picked her up tonight from the shop, made some minor adjustments (removed reflectors, adjusted seat, adjusted bars and gave everything the once-over) and took her out for a little rip (2.5 mile ride). First impression: This thing is light as a feather, smooth as glass, pedals effortlessly, handles incredibly well, looks like $1MM, brings back vivid memories of riding BMX as a kid and wheelies just like my old Mongoose Expert circa 1988 - 1990 (back when Gooses were bike shop bikes). At one point I was cruising down a suburban neighborhood street with the sun just setting and I pulled one up and rode it for approximately 50 yards when I had to finally reel in the rear brake due to near flippage. Do I like the bike better than my TREK 6500 all-mountain race setup? Ehhhh, tough question...real tough question... They're both extremely capable at what they were designed for and both exhibit incredible quality and craftsmanship. I'll enjoy years and years and years of solid use out of each. There's a local track that hosts a lot of races and I'm thinking about getting back into the fray. I have 3 kids and they're all into riding so it's great to be back on a BMX machine, which is what they ride. Pretty happy camper right now on the pedaling front.

Let me know what you think:

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That Redline Proline 24 rocks! I have a Proline 20 and I was thinking of getting a 24, but decided to get a monocog instead. Redlines rock!

mtbr member
    Here is my old Flight - I got it via a buy it now ebay auction as a frame and fork combo and built it up from parts I had laying around and stuff I bought via the mtbr.com classifieds. I really liked it, but wasn't able to keep it for long. I miss it a bit:

Expert Crasher
    I sold my 26" FS frame, fork and another frame then embarked on my Ebay journey to piece together this work of art. Purpose - to replace my commuter bike (circa 96 Raleigh M60, my first MTB), serve as a CX candidate if I do that again and pull duty as a loaner for my Dad when he comes to visit. It also was a place to use most of the parts I'd taken off other bikes and had cluttering up my bike shelf.

Behold - the palate of color and majesty that is below:

- 2007 21" Monocog Flight frame (ebay)
    - 2008 Monocog Flight fork (ebay)
    - worn out Maxxis Crossmark rear / worn out Bontrager Dry X front (this thing's abrasion resistant sidewalls provide enough strength to run low pressures and make the rigid feel not so rigid) - sourced from my tub-o-tires
    - Truvativ Stylo 1:1, 180mm, taken from my Sultan
    - Titec H-bar with the front position cut off, saving 60 grams for those weight weenies who care (I was more interested in removing excess material so maybe I could get away with riding these in a CX event) - used these on my old Rook
    - Thomson stem from old Rook
    - Hayes brakes w/ V7 front/V6 rear rotors, orange Danger Boy levers, taken from my old 26" full suspension
    - Mavic A317s and XT hubs, ebay find, but new items
    - Selle Italia saddle, ebay
    - Thomson seatpost - ebay
    - pewter King headset, from old 26" FS bike

About the only things I bought from a store for this build was an N-gear jumpstop (it's going to end up 1x9 for commuting duty) and the green Salsa liplock.

Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

You know, for kids
    Quote Originally Posted by neoyeti
    Hows that rear hub working for you? Looks cool.

Good so far. I've been commuting with it for several months now. No problems so far and my only complaint is the weight of the hub.
    Last edited by madcap; 04-16-2008 at 07:11 AM.

You know, for kids
    Quote Originally Posted by God of Everything
    I hope you didn't have to drink that PBR in order to get the bottle cap.

Haha, most people have their swill beer of choice. I'm a fan of PBR first and High Life second, but would prefer almost any Belgian or microbrew before the swill. Not a fan of anything Anheuser-Busch or Coors.

mtbr member
    Last edited by wonky57; 04-16-2008 at 06:30 PM.

mtbr member

Don't believe the Hype...
    Quote Originally Posted by sumluc
    I just got this last week!

Really like the look and ride.

dope

Rider
    Thanks, It rides and handles better than it looks!!! I have made a few changes to it, added at NGear Jump Stop and a BBG Bash guard. I really need to update my blog (been to busy riden!).

That D440 is a sweet looking ride too!
    07 Redline mono9
    97 Specialized Hardrock AX

My blog http://readyforaredline29er.blogspot.com/

Lost my signal...

Broken in...

Yesterday I took it out on it's maiden voyage.

A friend and I tried a trail near campus and found it still too wet to ride (trying to be good trail stewards by NOT riding on a wet trail). It's not surprising that it was still wet, given that it's mostly flat.

So, we tried the only other trail in town - a very hilly and technical trail. By my standards anyway...

It's was remarkably dry, save for a couple of drainaige crossings where the dip was a bit wet and muddy. 99.5% of the trail was bone dry. I came off the bike twice, both times in those little muddy dips. A little too much for the 29's perhaps...

Overall I was thrilled at how well the bike did. I may be yet another victim of the rattling headset issue though. I need to ride it a little more to be sure that's where the noise is coming from.

A couple of improvements I plan to make based on her maiden trail ride:

- Disc Brakes: I miss disc brakes, so that may come even before clipless pedals
    - Clipless Pedals: I slipped off the pedals once and the seat hit pretty hard, well, um, there. Ouch.
    - QR for the seat post. See above. I really should have lowered it a bit, but left the tool in the Jeep. Also, since I throw the bike in the back of the Jeep, the wheel and seat need to come off each time I transport it. A pain without QR.
    - A better GPS mount. Homebrew just couldn't cut it.
    - Lose weight. About 20 lbs. That would be off of me, not the bike.

Overall I'm pleased with the bike. Never once did I wish I had a lower or higher gear, which was probably the biggest concern I had initially, especially with the hills. We probably tackled too technical a trail for as little riding as we've done so far this year, but when it's all you have to choose from, you take what you can get.
    Redline Monocog 29er - learning the joy of SS one hill at a time

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast