Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    Disabled Vet
    That's a sweet looking d440,Helmsdini!!! I LOVE that fork!

You take a toothbrush to yer ride before you take it inside???

In a minute,I'll show you mine inside tonite after today's slimefest
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Disabled Vet
    Here's mine,after yet another parts swap (I put those RF Turbines on,LX front mech,and old left shifter for a 3x8,but I'll be going down to 2x with a bashgaurd sometime this year).

(Helmsdini... ....I need to borrow that toothbrush )
    (Actually,she'll make me clean it tomorrow or over the weekend,and if it weren't dark by the time I got home,and I pulled the "you or the bike,which one sleeps outside tonite?" card )
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    LOL NICE!! That ODIS up front looks great- how did it perform on the trails?

Our trails werent nearly that nasty today. I typically use a big scrub brush, but I couldnt find it today so the old toothbrush came out
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

Disabled Vet

Smile

Well,I have some initial thoughts,but I won't call it a full reveiw,since my planned 15025 mile ride got shortened to a lil over 8 miles (I didn't want to risk damage to the trails,since they seemed to get worse the farther in).

Before I ever got past the gravel parking lot,it was obvious the ODIS was a much smoother riding fork,and this was verified on a rocky/rooty section on trail. I detected 0 flex during any part of the ride (braking,ruff spots,turning,etc),but I'm about 160 lbs,so I expected as much. I also noticed turn in was noticably quicker,but it never felt twitchy,even at speed (I did hit 23 MPH at one point,but the thickness of the mud kept speeds fairly low...that and my been off the bike lots lately ). I definately recommend it,especially if one thinks of their stock RL fork as harsh,or their steed a little sluggish in tight turns/woods.
    Last edited by longhaultrucker; 03-08-2009 at 11:01 PM.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Disabled Vet
    PS: I think,since I'm anal about my drivetrain being well cared for/lubed,that the scrub brush is what mine's gunna get. Usually I clean every nook after a ride like this,but I got lots going on this weekend (including a rather ambitious b-day party for my daughter....ambitious in that the wife has to work,and she normally runs these things).
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Helmsdini... for frame size... it's all about top tube length... if you don't feel cramped or overly stretched out then i'd keep rolling whatcha got...

steve... you should be able to use the redline bash with those cranks... thats what i'm doing with my truativ cranks on my KM...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Disabled Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson

steve... you should be able to use the redline bash with those cranks... thats what i'm doing with my truativ cranks on my KM...
    Nah,the RL's are 4 bolt,the RF's are 5
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    LongHaul--glad to see you got a chance to hit the trails and try out the new fork! I imagine it was a little difficult to assess the flex of the fork while slipping and sliding in the mud.

Anyway, I think I need to exchange my stock RL fork for an ODIS--monkey see monkey do....! Where are you riding with all that snow?

Disabled Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot
    LongHaul--glad to see you got a chance to hit the trails and try out the new fork! I imagine it was a little difficult to assess the flex of the fork while slipping and sliding in the mud.

Anyway, I think I need to exchange my stock RL fork for an ODIS--monkey see monkey do....! Where are you riding with all that snow?
    Blacksburg's (VA) Pandapas Pond area.THey'd had 5-6" of snow the week before,but it was close,if not over 60 degrees F while I was there. There's a few sections of rocks and roots there,and I rode those a few times to getta feel for the fork. It's definately a better feel than the stock RL fork,without being flexy,and it quickened up the steering a little without being twitchy. For the $,I highly recommend it. Vassago was a nice group to deal w/,and I've found that a renewed old friend is now a Vassago dealer ta boot! (he may be able to get you a killer deal,plus he's way kool too.If interested,PM me for his email).(BTW,no,I don't have anything to gain there,but I only promote things/people I really believe in )

And thanks for being happy for my getting to go! Rides aren't the regular part of my week as I'd like yet (I'd love to ride a little every day ),and I probly won't ever feel up to something like a DH race,but I'm expecting to at least get back to XC...and it seems it may be slow going,but it is going that direction
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Less yapping an more snapping... (of pictures that is)

Disabled Vet
    Yap yap yap yap........er...sorry

'11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

offroader
    Dec 2008
    That's what I like to see.. the dirty kind.

Disabled Vet

... and if we just ...

LOL! Hey,we're guys,right? We're 'sposed to like dirty pics!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Disabled Vet
    I just put my avatar on my bike...now it's serious

'11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

i like the dirty pics

looks good, glad to hear the odis works for you. i had some wheels arrive today, still have a bunch of parts enroute. will be doing the build thing soon too!

small world lonhaul, my mother lives in b-burg, we may need to get together for a ride later in the season.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    might want to shorten that brake cable a smidge if you like the paint on that new fork ...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Disabled Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by mik13
    small world lonhaul, my mother lives in b-burg, we may need to get together for a ride later in the season.
    Yeah,that's a most definate!!!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Disabled Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    might want to shorten that brake cable a smidge if you like the paint on that new fork ...
    Yep,got it covered. Thanx!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    May 2006

Monocog has evolved........already

Already made a few changes to the Monocog after the first ride!
    Have built up some Mavic 717's on Deore Hubs (bought them cheap with trashed hubs and built them in to new hubs) with Maxxis Ignitor tyres. Ritchey spd's and to offset the weight loss I had to replace the lovely Salsa seatpost clamp with a big Fireeye BMX one! But at least the saddle stays up now, I think this was because of the long seatpost, which does flex a little.

Really has bought the bike to life, although I wouldn't think I have saved much weight it rides much lighter, those all important first couple of revolutions of the cranks really gets it going, the Ignitors are surprisingly good in mud too, didn't expect that! Way more predictable than the big Enduro's on there first. I think I am pretty settled on stem hight so will chop the steerer soon to get rid of that spacer. I think that will be it for a while, just ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbmoto
    Already made a few changes to the Monocog after the first ride!
    Have built up some Mavic 717's on Deore Hubs (bought them cheap with trashed hubs and built them in to new hubs) with Maxxis Ignitor tyres. Ritchey spd's and to offset the weight loss I had to replace the lovely Salsa seatpost clamp with a big Fireeye BMX one! But at least the saddle stays up now, I think this was because of the long seatpost, which does flex a little.

Really has bought the bike to life, although I wouldn't think I have saved much weight it rides much lighter, those all important first couple of revolutions of the cranks really gets it going, the Ignitors are surprisingly good in mud too, didn't expect that! Way more predictable than the big Enduro's on there first. I think I am pretty settled on stem hight so will chop the steerer soon to get rid of that spacer. I think that will be it for a while, just ride it.
    Dig the color!!

Also- you would be surprised how much weight you probably save switching out Redline components. As people have said- everything on these bikes is overbuilt. Look at regular MTB bars and then pull the end plug out of yours and look at it. It is about twice as thick- matter of fact the Syncros on the D440 is an all mountain bar. The seatpost is the same way, and probably everything else on the bike. They are heavy, but built like a brick outhouse. If you wanted to sacrifice some durability for weight, you can definitely do it on the RL bikes.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

mtbr member
    where does one find gold nuts like those on the rear?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    any good hardware store should have them (aka a local mom and pop... big ones may have them but the mom and pops always seem to have a lot more assortment then home depot or the likes)... they are a coating that prevents oxidation/rust...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hardware store bolts would probably do the biz but I used these.

Nice and tight and grippy, together with DMR chain tugs I get no movement and it is still relatively QR.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Should have said, this is where you can get them.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=6282

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

in the wild

heres a few from yesterday and on from a few weeks ago

374491757_1292458839_0.jpg

374492482_1292461489_0.jpg

0308091129a.jpg

weather has been too nice for this time of year here

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast