mtbr member

Should I switch from Monocog to Flight?

Maybe this is a little redundant but I saw a good deal on a flight frame. I am very happy with my Black Monocog 29er. I love taking Strava segments from people who are riding bikes with shifters and shocks. I really made a mistake a few weeks ago by clicking on the SS form topic "how much does your SS weight." I think the only heavier bike I saw on there was the custom 36er. Now I wonder if I can go faster if I can start dropping weight off the thing. Maybe the frame isn't the best place to start. Or would it be a savings at all?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I switch from Monocog to Flight?-2012-08-10_18-11-01_75.jpg  

Specialized Enduro Expert 09
    Redline Monocog 29er 09
    Trek 6700 05

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    run what you brung.........that is sexay

mtbr member
    Why not upgrade the wheelset or something? I have the same vintage Monocog in XL down to 26.1lbs with some not so weight weenie upgrades.

Signature

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    Absolutely not. Just get a new wheelset and only if the rear hub lets go. Shut up, nut up, and pedal that biatch -- no offense intended. Oh yeah, and take a dump before you ride.
    Drink beer all day

mtbr member
    As harsh as that was, you guys are right. I do love my ride. I feel like a circus clown on my geared 26er(until I get to the big hills). I still have those lame DH19 rims on there. If I take a few pounds off I surely will happy enough to stop dreaming about 20lb SS bikes.

Edit: any suggestions on a $500ish dollar wheel set?
    Last edited by EstebanRapido; 08-21-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    Redline Monocog 29er 09
    Trek 6700 05

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    check in with Dave from speed-dreams. i think his lower end custom sets are around $600, but he builds wheels the right way and to your exact specs and riding style. uses the best stuff too to include Stans, I9, DT Swiss, ect...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EstebanRapido View Post
    As harsh as that was, you guys are right. I do love my ride. I feel like a circus clown on my geared 26er(until I get to the big hills). I still have those lame DH19 rims on there. If I take a few pounds off I surely will happy enough to stop dreaming about 20lb SS bikes.

Edit: any suggestions on a $500ish dollar wheel set?
    I would go with a custom build. Mine was in the $500-600 range including the $70 labor to build but I got a smoking deal on the hoops (WTB Frequency i23...was able to get two for the price of one) and I think I saved about $70 on the Hope hubs thanks to a holiday special going on at CRC at the time. I paid a little more for the DT comp spokes via my LBS than I could have paid online but I wanted my builder to double check my measurements and order what he needed to get it done.
    Signature

mtbr member
    I think I'm gonna build up a custom rear wheel but in the meantime I found a great front wheel for a good price. Easton Haven 29er Front Wheel - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!

Oh and I replaced the handle bars with some junk I had sitting around in the garage for a savings of 6.5 oz!
    Last edited by EstebanRapido; 09-11-2012 at 05:18 PM.
    Redline Monocog 29er 09
    Trek 6700 05

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've been riding a Monocog 29 for four years now. For a long time I just left it basically stock, changing tires, grips, etc as needed. I loved the bike and figured "how could it get any better?" But as parts started wearing out I began replacing them. First the brakes (Avid BB7s). They made the bike heavier but stop a lot better and a better bike overall. Then I got a good deal on a used White Bros Rock Solid. fork. It made the front end lighter and stick a lot better in turns, and also ride slightly better. Then Shimano Deore cranks and BB I took off my other bike. The new cranks made the bike lighter and pedal more efficiently. Then Easton carbon bars and a lighter stiffer stem. Much better tracking, lighter front end and much better vibration damping. The bike still has the heavy stock wheels which I'm going to replace soon because the hubs are wearing out. Other than that only the frame and seatpost are stock. Is it a better bike with the new parts? Absolutely, and I wonder how I rode it stock for as long as I did. Lighter, more nimble, better stopping, better vibration damping. I'm already toying with the idea of replacing the frame with a Flight Monocog, because the relatively slow steering of the Monocog is starting to hold me back as I improve as a rider. I loved the geometry at first, but now I want something quicker and sportier.

So I'd say if you can get a good deal on a Monocog Flight frame, buy it. And as good as the Monocog is it's even better when you but better parts on it. Also improve the parts, starting with the wheels. One of the good things about a Monocog is the parts are so cheap and heavy you don't need to spend much to get something better.
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!