Thread: Redline sizing

Smarter Than He Looks

Redline sizing

I'm 5'9" w/ 33" inseam, so I'm a little tough to fit. I like to stretch my legs, but also a short cockpit. Seems like most bikes I feel most comfortable on a Medium (17-18") but a few, esp C-dales, the Mediums seem cramped and I prefer a Large - 19." My road bike is a 54cm.

I'm considering ordering a Redline D660; should I go with M(17") or L(19")?

edit to add: This would be my first 29" bike, all sizing experience is with 26ers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm 5' 11" with a 33" inseam and just picked up a 19" Monocog29 of ebay. The bike is big, but I like a big bike and I needed to shorten the stem to make it feel right. I also believe a 17" would be the choice of most riders of your size and likely be your best choice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm 5'10", 34" inseam and got the 17" D660. I could have went either way though, 17" or 19".
    The top tube length on the 17" is 18mm shorter and the stem is 10mm shorter compared to the 19".

mtbr member
    I was fortunate enough to have a local dealer with both a 17" and 19" to test. Both fit but I felt better on the 19. The 17 felt a little cramped. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and a rather tall torso. Standover clearance is less than I'd like but the toptube length is good. I made a conscious choice to buy the bike to ride not to fall off of and land on my boys ... ideally, I'd be riding an 18".

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm 6'0" with a 33.5" inseam and picked up a 17" on Ebay. At first I was really kicking myself because I felt cramped and should have gone with the 19". I put on a longer stem with a higher rise (120mm 20degree rise) and that helped significantly. Ideally I'd probably be on a 19" but I don't think the difference in geo between the two is a deal-breaker...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I ride a 19" frame (mono9)
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

boba fett on a bike
    I'm 5'9.5" with a 30" inseam and I ride a 17" Flight 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by john.wilkinson@datacon.at
    I'm 5' 11" with a 33" inseam and just picked up a 19" Monocog29 of ebay. The bike is big, but I like a big bike and I needed to shorten the stem to make it feel right. I also believe a 17" would be the choice of most riders of your size and likely be your best choice.
    I too am the new owner of a 19inch Monocog 29er. I am 6'2' and a 32" inseam. I think I will need to fit a shorter stem too. It is a very long bike fitted with a long stem at the factory.
    I also have the seat set to the maximum height yet I think the stand over height is a little too close for comfort. I think a 19inch frame is a little big for me.

I think for me maybe a 17inch frame would have been a better choice but I would have needed a 400mm (15.75 inch) seat post. This would give me more stand over clearance and the correct seat height.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just put a D660 together last night and for some reason it seems smaller than my Flight (nice bike by the way). They both are 19". I am 6' with 34" inseam. I think you should get a Large, you can always get a shorter stem. If you are in the Boston area, you are welcome to try my Flight and maybe the D660 if I still have it by then.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cooljavy
    I just put a D660 together last night and for some reason it seems smaller than my Flight (nice bike by the way). They both are 19". I am 6' with 34" inseam. I think you should get a Large, you can always get a shorter stem. If you are in the Boston area, you are welcome to try my Flight and maybe the D660 if I still have it by then.

Well, the geometries are different, so I would expect them to feel somewhat different. Not huge differences though..

The D660 has a slacker seat tube angle (73.5 vs 74), and a longer top tube (23.75 vs 23.7)

This should actually make you ever-so-slightly more stretched out on the d660, given the same stem and seat/seatpost setup.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.