OPC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Redline Monocog headset question

I recently purchased a "White Brothers Fluid 29" fork (Craigslist) for my SS Cog. I need to replace the headset because I lost a part...

So does anyone know if this will fit it? It's the FSA the Pig. There are two sizes one is 1-1/8" 34mm I.D. Headtube and the other is 1-1/8" threadless. I have the stock headset but not sure what the 34mm I.D means in the description...

see link

Amazon.com: FSA The Pig Headset: Sports & Outdoors

thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    34mm is the inside diameter of your headtube/esternal diameter of your headset cups. standard diameter for external cup headsets. It looks like they're both the same style, but one's silver, the other's black.

OPC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks,
    So they should both fit then... I'm getting the black one. I have the 2007ish brown Monocog and I can't really find information on it.

Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    34mm is the inside diameter of your headtube/esternal diameter of your headset cups. standard diameter for external cup headsets. It looks like they're both the same style, but one's silver, the other's black.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just installed the same headset on the same bike. I used the black FSA The Pig 1-1/8" threadless. Opted to have the bottom cup show graphics on the sides and The Pig shown on top from the front. Nice smooth headset. The stock one just crumbled to pieces when I took it off.

Concerning info on the doo doo brown 2007. You can check out 2007 Redline Monocog 29er - BikePedia. It's the best info I've found thus far aside from the all the posts which takes some time to scour through.

Redline Monocog headset question-img_0728.jpg

OPC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thank you so much man! Yup, we have the same dodo paint scheme, I really want to paint it flat black. I will order the black pig today

Quick question, was it hard to remove the old headset?

Quote Originally Posted by jasmorg1075 View Post
    I just installed the same headset on the same bike. I used the black FSA The Pig 1-1/8" threadless. Opted to have the bottom cup show graphics on the sides and The Pig shown on top from the front. Nice smooth headset. The stock one just crumbled to pieces when I took it off.

Concerning info on the doo doo brown 2007. You can check out 2007 Redline Monocog 29er - BikePedia. It's the best info I've found thus far aside from the all the posts which takes some time to scour through.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0728.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	862790

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Headset removal was very simple. When I say crumbled, I mean the internals like ball bearings coming apart...not the headset cups. I opted to make my own tools for the removal and installation. Watch this to get an idea: How to: Bodge your own ghetto mtb toolkit - YouTube.

I used a one inch copper pipe cut into 4 sections, spaced it out, slipped into the headset backwards so that spaced out part goes in last and then "clips" into place behind the cup. Then I used a 3LB sledge and gave a few hits and knocked the cups right out. Using a bike stand made it very simple!

Installation I used a lag screw (8 inch), some washers and a bolt and squeezed the new Pig cups into place...just make sure they go in straight.