mtbr member
    May 2009

For Redline D660 riders...

This bike looks very appealing for a hardtail 29er. The spec is amazing for ~$1,500. I'm having a hard time finding one to ride, but I do like the way other Redlines perform and a local LBS can order one for me.

Is there anything you love or hate about the bike? Is the riding position comfortable? Also, I'm a little under 6' and unsure about what size to order (17" or 19").

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

19"

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    This bike looks very appealing for a hardtail 29er. The spec is amazing for ~$1,500. I'm having a hard time finding one to ride, but I do like the way other Redlines perform and a local LBS can order one for me.

Is there anything you love or hate about the bike? Is the riding position comfortable? Also, I'm a little under 6' and unsure about what size to order (17" or 19").
    19"
    Very comfortable riding position.

Might take a while to get one. SBS is out of them currently. That' a good sign about their popularity.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Dog Fang chain guide is worthless. Should be replaced ASAP.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DEmbry
    Dog Fang chain guide is worthless. Should be replaced ASAP.
    I have heard about this. There's some replacement chain guide that's better, but I can't remember the name of it. I appreciate the post, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I replaced it with an N-Gear Jump Stop for $10. There are other choices but they will cost you abit more.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    +1 about the jump stop.

With the exception of monocogs, redline 29ers tend to have shortish cockpits. I would bet the 19 is right for you. I am the same height as you, with long legs and a relatively short torso and it fits like a dream with a 90mm stem and 27" bars. But just go by ETT length. if for some reason you like a really short cockpit, get the 17 I suppose.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    +1 about the jump stop.

With the exception of monocogs, redline 29ers tend to have shortish cockpits. I would bet the 19 is right for you. I am the same height as you, with long legs and a relatively short torso and it fits like a dream with a 90mm stem and 27" bars. But just go by ETT length. if for some reason you like a really short cockpit, get the 17 I suppose.
    I rode the 17" and 19" Monocog Flight 29ers and found the 19" to be a little bit better fit.

I can get the 660 for ~$1300 brand new, so I think I might bite. I think they're on backorder still, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

D660

I am in a similar position considering the D660. Please post up your experience as I am not sure how soon I'll go for it/be able to get it. Also, what are your thoughts on the red and white? Like the bike, but not crazy about that. Have you seen any other colors? Also, my LBS quoted $1,500, where did you get $1,300 from? Was that online?

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

2009 D660

I like the 2009 colors. Otherwise the same bike.
    I use them for rentals for taller folks.
    Planning to unload the demos I have soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For Redline D660 riders...-img_3819.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The 2010 model only comes in red/white, as far as I know. I do like the '09 color scheme.

The $1300 price was from an LBS.

Any other riding impressions out there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i'm short (but proportionate) and have a 17" (an '08), and if the cockpit wasn't short i'd never have been able ride this bike. i bought the frame for $85 figuring that i could sell it if i didn't like it or if it didn't fit. once i got it built, and took it for it's first ride, i decided that i will most likely never get rid of this bike. the standover of it cuts it close, but i can control this bike so easily that i've never really thought about it. i've run it as a 1x9, 2x9 with manual shift (i would literally reach down on the fly and move the chain with my hand), 2x9 with a der, and as a 3x9 with a der (current setup). every configuration has worked well.

i have built and sold 2 other 29ers since i had this (17" xxix+g that i ran ss, and a 15" motobecane ss). i bought them because i wanted to ride ss, and i didn't keep either very long because they just didn't have "it". no matter how much i futzed around with them i just couldn't get them anywhere close to how the d660 "feels".

love this bike, and i'd buy another one in a heartbeat, which leads me to ask: is there anyone on here that rides/has ridden the monocog (or flight) that can tell me how the geometry and feel compare to the d660. i'd like a steel 29er, and i just ordered one today, but it's not a redline. if it doesn't work out, i'd like to know if i should just go for the flight.

thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by expostdelirium
    i'm short (but proportionate) and have a 17" (an '08), and if the cockpit wasn't short i'd never have been able ride this bike. i bought the frame for $85 figuring that i could sell it if i didn't like it or if it didn't fit. once i got it built, and took it for it's first ride, i decided that i will most likely never get rid of this bike. the standover of it cuts it close, but i can control this bike so easily that i've never really thought about it. i've run it as a 1x9, 2x9 with manual shift (i would literally reach down on the fly and move the chain with my hand), 2x9 with a der, and as a 3x9 with a der (current setup). every configuration has worked well.

i have built and sold 2 other 29ers since i had this (17" xxix+g that i ran ss, and a 15" motobecane ss). i bought them because i wanted to ride ss, and i didn't keep either very long because they just didn't have "it". no matter how much i futzed around with them i just couldn't get them anywhere close to how the d660 "feels".

love this bike, and i'd buy another one in a heartbeat, which leads me to ask: is there anyone on here that rides/has ridden the monocog (or flight) that can tell me how the geometry and feel compare to the d660. i'd like a steel 29er, and i just ordered one today, but it's not a redline. if it doesn't work out, i'd like to know if i should just go for the flight.

thanks.
    Go for the Flight. They are very similar ride.