mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Redline D440 Upgrades

Just picked up a barely used 2008 D440 on CL and now I have a geared bike to go with my MC29er. Not big on the metallic root beer brown, but since I got such a great deal on the bike I have money to add some bling (around $500-$600).

The plan is to build an urban commuter bike. Off the bat, I'm changing the pedals to egg beaters and adding Avid BB7 discs front & rear.

Also thinking of changing out bars, fork and maybe upgrade derailleur & shifter too, but need some ideas. If you had $600 to spend what would you upgrade?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I had one... I loved the color when it was in the sun ..

for upgrades... bb7's and clipless are a great start... get your controls set to a comfortable place...

if you don't mind going with rigid i'd spend the rest on tires and a new wheelset.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    I've had my D440 for a few years. All I've put on it is 700x32 tires, new grips, a bottle cage, and Time pedals. For road duty, the brakes work really well, at least on my bike.

For me the biggest issue it has as a commuter slash wanna-be hybrid road bike, is the drivetrain b/c of the small chainring on the crank. I have a 3x9 SLX/XT complete drive train I took off my Niner that I am thinking about putting on it, but I may just put a bigger front chain ring and leave it.

I wouldn't mind an extra set of wheels w/dirt tires on them though b/c I think it would do well on flat/smoothish trails.

renaissance cyclist
    I got my 09 D440 on Craigslist as well, and I started with all kinds of upgrade plans. I initially just did the maintenance that had been neglected by the previous owner (Replaced warn chain/cassette/cables/grips/ brake pads) and put my favorite saddle & pedals on. The Vulpine tires it came with were worn and werenít going to cut it as this was to be used as a trail bike. I replaced them with an Ardent 2.4 in front and a Saguaro2.2 in back (I love that combo, by the way).
    I first though I would replace the brakes and wheels, but I think the V-brakes it came with are the best Vs Iíve ever used and I donít want to replace them, and most good pre-built wheel sets donít have a braking surface. I was going to get a fork, but there arenít many options for V-brakes and the combination of the big wheels with high-volume tires and the steel frame & Fork took just enough edge off. My other Mountain bike was an entry-level full suspension bike what weighed a lot more and felt like a pogo-stick when I stood up to pedal on the climbs. I eventually appreciated the pedaling efficiency and lack of maintenance (no shock to futz with, hydraulic lines to bleed, or front derailleur to adjust) more than I appreciate suspension and Disc brake and I sold my other mountain bike for twice what I paid for the D440. I also thought Iíd be upgrading the drive train, but the range of the 8-speed drive train is perfect for the trails I usually ride, and the X-5 shifter and derailleur have never missed a shift.
    Iíve thought about ordering parts to build my own lighter wheels with rim braking surfaces, and still might. The bottom line, however, is that they did a good job of building this bike with durable, functional parts while bypassing unnecessary bells and whistles that add cost and weight. With the exception of possibly changing out parts that are specific to your particular purpose and body (tires and saddle), I would wait on upgrading until youíve ridden it for a while, because you might find the OE stuff works just fine and save yourself some money by sticking with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Here are some pics of the commuter upgrades on my D440. Avid BB5 brakes with 160mm rotors, Avid FR5 levers, Jagwire cables, WTB Speed V saddle, Gusset Stash bars, Bontrager inForm Satellite grips, Crank Bros Candy pedals, SKS Adventure fender set, brass Incredibell, Maxxis Overdrive 700 x 38 tires, Niterider Minewt 350 cordless light (not shown).

My favorite upgrade has been the Gusset bars and Bontrager grips. Looking to add a rack and rack bag or panniers. Would love to but the WTB Nanos back on for more aggressive look, but won't fit on bus rack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Redline D440 Upgrades-imag0137.jpg  

Redline D440 Upgrades-imag0146.jpg  

Redline D440 Upgrades-imag0148.jpg  

Redline D440 Upgrades-imag0143.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm looking to buy my first mountain bike. It seems that a lot of D440s are being used as commuters. Does anyone ride a one as a full time MTB? There's one on CL locally that I may take a look at. It is currently set up as 1x10. Has anyone ever put a suspension fork on one? Or am I barking up the wrong tree and should look elsewhere? A shop near me has a 2011 Felt Nine Trail at a decent price. I rode it the other day and really liked it, more than other 29ers I've tried. I really like the idea of a steel frame though (my road bike is a Redline Conquest Classic), which is why the D440 caught my eye. I guess I'm debating whether the amount of money and time to make the D440 "trail worthy" would be worth it. If not I'll probably get the Felt (if I don't find something used that I like).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have a Monocog 29er with suspension fork and a rigid D440 I use as a commuter. Frame geometry is same and I love my Monocog. I'm in same boat and want a geared steel mountain bike and saw another D440 on CL and debating if I should buy it and upgrade. As much as I love my Redlines, thinking about the Transition Trans Am to replace the Monocog. The Felt is probably better specd out than the D440.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I turned mine into a commuter when I found something better... but it is a great MTB... works very well with suspension fork...

I think the big reason so many of them showed up as a commuter is the price... at that low of a price it is was easy to buy one and swap on a few commuter parts and not risk a $1500+ bike... the second is the wheelset
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie