Human Test Subject

Redline Conquest Classic

Been messaging lawrencebosox45 about the Metro Classic (2012 version of my bike) and decided to share some pics here in case anyone else is interested.

700 x 35 conti speed kings, did some light off roading with these. Tire clearance is apparently up to 40mm so I'll probably get different tires soon. The tail light is off in that picture because I had an awesome crash in loose sand and lost it somewhere.

Commuter mode. Specialized infinity something tires. They're pretty great but a reflective sidewall would have been nice. Fenders are Planet Bike Cascadias. Brake calipers are bb7s in this pic.

I had a carbon Winwood rigid mtb fork installed which shed approximately half a pound and increased the tire clearance to about 2.5 inches.

Will probably get new 29er Cascadia fenders to go with the fork. The rear I'm going to try to cut it in the narrower sections in the chain and seat stays and see if it fits. Then I'll roll on some fat commuter tires if these bullet proof Specialized tires ever wear out.

Bike's going in on Friday to have a 105 double crankset installed. Swapping out the 53T ring for a 46. Triples are nice but this crankset was 60 bucks new so I couldn't say no.

Getting some new wheels built up too. WTB i19 rims laced to hope front hub and white rear. I'll post a new pic after all the work is done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ^^volsung has been really really helpful with my decision to buy a redline. Thanks man!

I just built up my first bike. I sold off my old commuter bike/hybrid to offset the price of this new bike. I remember buying my beloved hybrid back in 2010 just getting back into cycling. I loved the hybrid because it was comfortable and had disc brakes, fender/rack mounts.

Eventually I realized that I was more into road biking, and loved the drop bar road bikes. My hybrid was used less and less, and I kept lusting after such bike builds like the Traitor Ruben, Soma Double Cross Disc, Salsa Vaya, and the Surly Long Haul Trucker Disc.

I eventually saw the Redline Metro Classic and loved it.

I decided to build up the bike myself. I wanted to swap out the 2012 (now 10 speed) Tiagra Triple for a compact double from SRAM.

The SRAM Apex swap out was smooth and uncomplicated. There were so many videos on YouTube on how to install specific sram parts as well as general bike assembly videos with all the specific things (bottom brackets, derailleurs, ect.).

I swapped out the Avid Road BB5 with Road BB7s. There is a very informative video on how to install/adjust the brakes on youtube from the Volagi (from the Specialized law suit) guys. The inline barrel adjusters were easy enough to install - but I did have to google-fu pictures on how to do so.

The tire clearances look to be huge. I've got the stock 28c tires on right now.. but I know I have my options to go huge for the winter/dirt/trails/ect.

I swapped out the stock saddle for my selle an atomica. I have my older planet bike cascadia fenders and topeak rack ready to be installed. I also ordered some 3M orange reflective tape sheets (you can find them for dirt cheap on eBay) to be applied. I'm looking into those special nuts that are "theft deterrents" because they require a special key to loosen/tighten for extra security.

At least I have a really "all around-er" bike now that I can use for the occasional dirt trail, maybe a cyclocross race, road riding, touring, commuting.. ect ect..

Human Test Subject
    That's f'n hot in orange.

Here's mine now with the new crankset, fork, and wheels. Went with a 105 triple and put the 105 double on my road bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Any idea on weight as you have it now? I'm torn between ordering this or building disc-mullet out of a CC and a simular build. I would hope they're about the same (or mabye the RL a little lighter...)

Human Test Subject
    Stripped down mine is like 26 lbs, but my saddle alone is almost 600g

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nothing like a leather saddle...

Human Test Subject
    I swapped out the saddle for a Specialized Avatar Team I had, took off the crummy Forte bottle cages, and weighed it again. 25.75 lbs about (still had a few things taped on). Then I weighed my tires (Specialized Armadillo Infinity i think) and they're 600g EACH. I mean they're nice and bulletproof, but that's pretty hefty.

So if I were a real weight weenie, this bike could get down to 24.4 lbs or so with diff tires and the stock Tiagra components. Not bad for a tank of a commuter.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    @lawrencebosox45

Where did you buy the unassembled Metro? Did it save you any cash building your own?

Rad bike-I'm sold!

Human Test Subject
    MPLS, if you're actually IN mpls, Erik's and the Hub can order you one.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I've been looking at this bike a little myself. I've seen a couple photos on the net that make it look like the seatstays have 48mm clearance, but that is guesstimating on my end. Where is clearance the tightest? Any photos with a ruler?

Human Test Subject
    I'll try to get one tomorrow, Umarth.

Human Test Subject

clearance

You're probably pretty close, here's my super scientific and ultra accurate measurement.

black tape to kind of show where the fattest part of the tire is

Broke a stupid aluminum fender bolt. taking this pic. I hope the guys at the shop are bored because they're fixing it for me.

it LOOKS like it may be 55mm clearance. I'm not gonna chance that, but I may try a 29x1.95. Been planning on getting a Vee Rubber XCX when they're available in that size, but hopefully I can try one on first.

I have a pre-boner for 2.35 front/1.95 back matching tires.

EDIT - tried on a 700x45 Specialized Burough and it fit. Had a few mm to spare. Seems tighter in the chain stays than seat stays.
    Last edited by Volsung; 06-14-2012 at 07:31 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice Classics! I had a large(!) 44 tire that wouldn't fit the rear, but a true 44 fits fine. 38's and fenders is not a problem.

Here's mine...made some changes: fork, stem, dirt drops, brooks, wheels.

Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Human Test Subject
    Hey cool fork! I think my grey looks awesome then I look at the orange and think it's great then I see brown and chrome and love that too. They did great with the colors on this bike.

My monstercross progress had a slight setback. I tried the Vee Rubber XCX 1.75 and it didn't fit. Thing was a balloon. I ordered a 700x40 Schwalbe Smart Sam (really measures 42) for the back and 29x2.1 for the front. The rear tire hasn't arrived and the front is on backorder so no pics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Is that the stock steerer tube length or did you have to cut it down a bit?

Human Test Subject
    This looks a bit strange but it cushions well.

it's a little slower too, but it makes me smile.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Thanks for the shots. I neglected to comment for a while- sorry.

It is on the my short list of bikes to replace what I have. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What is the rear hub spacing on the Redline Metro? 130 or 135?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It's 135. I really had to stretch my road rack to fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thread resurrection
    Redline Conquest Classic-img_0433e.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice! I'm wondering if I'm the only one that has that color/year with a fork without eyelets on it...

And a picture from yesterday...

Redline Conquest Classic-533954_10151619870066081_87650066_n.jpg
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Human Test Subject
    I put my Specialized tires on my fiance's road bike for commuting on the sandy spring streets and got myself some Conti Touring Plus 700x42 tires for 17 bucks from chain reaction.

After mounting them I realized I could have gone 700x47.