mtbr member

Rear wheel options for 2005 Monocog

Okay, so I picked up a 2005 Monocog frame the other day and I am trying to come up with rear wheel ideas. It has the 110mm rear spacing. What have y'all done in the past? Should I try spreading the rear triangle to accommodate a standard 135mm hub or should I have a whell built off of a BMX hub. I apprecaite any suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear wheel options for 2005 Monocog-2011-05-22-18.48.46.jpg  

1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you are really patient you might find something on ebay. I did, but then I was looking to replace the stock wheel that was on its way out, so I was riding it while waiting.

Otherwise if you do some searching on the Redline forum, others have spread the stays with good success. One I remember did it with some parts he picked up at Lowes for around $20. Maybe one of them will see this and give their advice.

mtbr member
    Either build a wheel with a BMX hub or find an "old school" type bike shop and get them to re space the frame.

maybe base your decision on cost?
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I had the same issue a few years ago. BMX hubs are 36h, so you will have a hard time finding a rim. It was impossible to find a BMX spaced hub with a disc 6 hole pattern( Formula made one, but I could not get it.) Best bet it to spread the rear. I have heard it centers pretty well just forcing a 135mm in there.

mtbr member
    I was able to spread the rear triangle to accept a 235mm hub using sheldon brown's 2x4 method, fits like a glove!

1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

mtbr member
    put a front disc hub with a Tomicog on it, then a 10mm spacer on the non-drive side. dish the wheel to accomodate for the over-centeredness of the hub and you're done!

if you're not into the fixed-gear mtb thing, your options seem to be nothing. I suggest you ask Redline what they intended for that frame. I don't know why they put disc caliper tabs on a frame for which a disc-ready hub does not exist.