Thread: New bike

mtbr member
    May 2013

New bike

Just picked up a new 2012 redline d610 on clearance for $550. Think I did pretty good as the 2013 specs have not changed other than the crank. Anyone have any suggestions for a wheel set that would be a good upgrade from the stock ones? My budget is around 3-400 and I primarily ride trail. Not a ton of jumping, but would like something pretty sturdy. Not sure how much of a difference tubeless would make in performance and weight.

Thanks,
    John

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New bike-uploadfromtaptalk1371666389595.jpg  

Just Ride
    From what I hear going tubless saves a bit of weight and offers nice advantages to handling. Lower pressure = better traction = better climbing. I dunno, that's my take on it anyway. Enjoy the ride!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    You may be able to find a decent wheelset at that price. I would suggest trying to stretch the budget a little further to the $400-500 range. I've seen new Stans Arch EX wheelsets with the ZTR hubs go in that range in the past. You can also get a pre built set with Hope hubs and Arch hoops from Chain Reaction in that range.
    Signature

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: New bike

Thanks for the info. I have been checking out that site. Are those wheels pretty durable for someone around 190lbs?

Any opinion on how much of an improvement the mavic crossride's would be over the stock DH19s?

I've been having trouble finding the weight of my current setup. Seems like cross rides would be pretty close in weight.

I know the cross rides would not be able to run tubeless also without a conversion kit too.

Thanks again,
    John

mtbr member
    At your weight either would probably be fine. Flow is a little wider than the Arch. If you like to err on the side of caution the Flow would be your best choice between the two.

Pretty much any tubeless ready wheelset is going to require a conversion...which in most cases is just a wrap of tape and a valve. I guess there are a few out there that don't require any tape (Crank Bros comes to mind).

I'm not familiar with the Mavics, but that stock wheelset on your bike is likely in the 2300-2400 range.

EDIT...forgot tubeless conversion requires sealant as well. UST wouldn't require this.
    Last edited by A1an; 06-28-2013 at 07:32 AM.
    Signature

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: New bike

Thanks for the info Alan.