boba fett on a bike

My Redline Monocog Flight SS 29er build thread

Just before the holidays I picked up a brand new 08 Redline Monocog Flight 29er frame at a LBS for a good price. I've been riding in my adult life the past 2 yrs and I'm hooked. This will be my first build. I will probably take the frame into a LBS to get certain things done for lack of tools or fear of screwing something up.

Christmas (which was also my birthday) has came and went. I didn't buy anything for my Redline build because I was waiting to see if I would get anything for it as gifts.

My gf got me a set of cheap and heavy, but strong wheels. My thoughts are wheels can always be upgraded later (and I will). It also doesn't hurt to have a 2nd set of wheels if I decide to start racing sometime in the future.

WTB Dual Duty FR rims w/ Shimano hubs.

Okay so now I need to get serious about piecing this thing together. First off I'm trying to build a really good bike on a budget. Is that even possible?

Let's talk forks...I'm going squish. I haven't decided on 80mm or 100mm of travel. The Reba or Fox has gathered most of my interest. I had a Reba on my 07 GF Rig and I also have had a couple different Fox forks on my Specialized bikes.

If I want to save some money...I've read some good things about the Manitou Drake after searching here. It's on sale at Jenson for $235 right now. It looks like the only model they have left has the 20mm Thru Axle. My hubs have the regular QR. Can I still use that fork with my wheelset? Any benefits to the 20mm TA?

Another option I've been thinking about is buying a leftover bike on sale and then parting it out...swapping over the parts to my frame and selling what I don't need on e-bay and CL.

Thanks for the comments and criticism ahead of time.

-Todd

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Go with the Fox Forx. I've owned Rock Shox and can tell you Fox is much better IMO. You can get a used one for about $350 if you're patient. That's what I did. If you want I've go my rigid fork which matches your frame I can sell you. $100 shipped and paypal'd

mtbr member
    I ran a REBA for a couple years on my prior 26" wheel bikes. My first Fox is on my '09 Paragon. REBA is much smoother and much easier to setup compared to my Fox. Guess it comes down to personal preference.

Have fun with your Redline build. You can be on a budget and still build a great bike...you just need to be patient. Buddy of mine has found unbelievable deals on Ebay, Craigslist, and through local MTB groups/clubs.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Congrats on the frame. Are you thinking on going SS?

What What!!!
    Mar 2010
    BountyHunter, how did that build go, I am interested, I am about to do the same thing, any advice to give? Should I buy a complete Redline Monocog Flight SS 29er then upgrade the components? Let me know, and do you have anymore pictures?
    Thanks

boba fett on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Man
    BountyHunter, how did that build go, I am interested, I am about to do the same thing, any advice to give? Should I buy a complete Redline Monocog Flight SS 29er then upgrade the components? Let me know, and do you have anymore pictures?
    Thanks
    I actually picked up a complete 08 Flight off ebay a couple months ago. I was looking for a bike for parts to use on my build and found a deal I couldn't pass on. It's in great condition so I didn't want to make it a donor bike.

I'm still trying to decide what to do with the build. I've been collecting parts.

Here's what I've picked up since I started this thread:
    -Fox F29 FIT RLC 100mm
    -Cane Creek S3
    -(2) Maxxis Ignitors and (2) WTB Prowler SLs
    -FSA crank arms
    -32t Shimano XT chainring
    -XT BB

I have some extra stems, bars and some other stuff I've accumulated over the past 3 yrs I can use. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I can see myself converting the complete rigid to 1x9 and building the frame up SS with the Fox fork. I just want to ride the rigid more first before I decide to build up the other frame. I change my mind a lot when it comes to bikes so I want to make sure the geometry is right for me. The weather here in the Midwest has been brutal. I doubt I'll even be able to ride any of the local trails for at least 1-2 more months.
    Last edited by Bounty Hunter; 03-11-2010 at 01:19 PM.

boba fett on a bike
    Back from the dead...

I'd decided to move forward on my build. Hopefully I can finish it within a month. I need some suggestions on a 1x9 setup. I already have an FSA crankset, XT BB, and an XT 32t chaninring. Do I need a 9 spd chain and which would you suggest? Also I will need one shifter, a rear derailleur and hanger.

I treated the frame with Framesaver tonight.

boba fett on a bike
    I just picked up my Flight today from the LBS! I had them install the headset and crankset.

I'm going to do some work on it tonight and hopefully get most of it done. I ordered an X9 right (rear) shifter and X9 short cage rear derailleur today and hopefully I'll have those by next week. It's raining daily here so it's not like I can ride the trails right now anyways. :P

Hopefully you guys don't mind all the pics. I'm just excited for this build to be done!

boba fett on a bike
    Here's a list of the specs so far...

Frame: 08 Redline Monocog Flight 29er
    Fork: Fox F29 FIT RLC set at 100mm
    Headset: Cane Creek S3
    Stem: Easton EA70 100mm (might change that still)
    Handlebar: Salsa ProMoto flat bar, 5 degree bend, super wide...710mm!
    Grips: Oury Lock On
    Brakes: Avid BB7s with Speed Dial 7 levers
    Rear Derailleur: X9 short cage
    Shift Lever: X9
    Cassette: 08 Epic takeoff Shimano 11-34t
    Chain: SRAM PC-991
    Crankset: El Cheapo FSA RPM (for now)
    Chainring: Shimano XT 32t
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT
    Wheelset: WTB Dual Duty rims with Shimano M525 hubs
    Tires: Kenda SB8s (I also have new sets of WTB Prowler SLs and Maxxis Ignitors)
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    Seat Collar: undecided

offroader
    Dec 2008
    It's looking pretty Sweet!

For the seat collar, the size is hard to find, I think 30.0 should fit, but redline quoted me 29.7 (I can't remember the exact number because I don't have email access.) I ordered a 30.0 from my LBS and it should be here soon. In the meantime I took the clamp from my Mononcog non flight.

Good idea on the frame saver. I'm thinking of picking some up for myself.

boba fett on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    It's looking pretty Sweet!

For the seat collar, the size is hard to find, I think 30.0 should fit, but redline quoted me 29.7 (I can't remember the exact number because I don't have email access.) I ordered a 30.0 from my LBS and it should be here soon. In the meantime I took the clamp from my Mononcog non flight.

Good idea on the frame saver. I'm thinking of picking some up for myself.
    Thanks Java! For now I stole the collar off my other Flight. Get back to me if you would on fitment after you try the 30.0.

I had another LBS build me up my Surly Cross Check last year and they used Frame Saver. They're big into steel bikes so it gave me the idea to buy some for the Redline.

So last night my friend and I did some work on the Flight build and the hardest part we deal with was installing the tubes and Kenda SB8s. We had a helluva time. The front tire went on fine, but it didn't seat all that well. When we spun the wheel it looked lopsided. Then the rear tire...tightest fit I've ever seen. We pinch flatted 3 tubes and decided to give up. I brought both wheels and tires into LBS today. Turns out for the lopsided front they just said it wasn't seated right and they fixed it up. They did have a tough time with that rear tire, but after awhile they got it. What I learned is to use the air compressor more instead of the floor pump and continue to boost up to max pressure to get new tires seated properly.

What tire pressures are you running in your SB8s?

boba fett on a bike
    More pics...ALMOST done! It's definitely not a lightweight. The frame is a porker at 5.5 lbs. After riding it for awhile I can see myself going to a lighter crankset, cassette and a light, but strong tubeless wheelset.

boba fett on a bike
    I did a 25 mile road ride today on my Surly Cross Check...and got two rear flats. Then I still had energy...or so I thought. I picked up my Redline at the LBS (they installed my X9 shifter + short cage rear derailleur) and I went to one of my favorite trails. Sadly I got 2 miles in and my body said no more. It was a windy and hot summer day here. I can't wait to ride the Redline more though. It came out heavier than I had wanted it to at 28.79 lbs, but I can change that (all it takes is money).

So I started adding up my build and it came to just under $2000. Kind of sad when you figure in that I went cheap on a few parts. I'm learning the hard way it costs a lot more to build a bike. I paid less than $2k for my 08 Epic Comp brand new. Oh well...

Now for the pics...

Two of my favorite bikes side by side

I'm really happy with the X9 short cage rear derailleur and shifter. 1x9 is so simple, yet effective.

Finally...right where it wants to be

Last edited by Bounty Hunter; 05-23-2010 at 10:09 PM.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    5.5lbs for a steel frame is still respectable. My Geared Flight is about 27.5 lbs and my SS is 24.5 the stock wheels are boat anchors you could probably shave close to 1lb just by upgrading those. The build looks great. I'm thinking if I ever decide to go custom in the future I want the same geometry of the flight that I own.

boba fett on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    5.5lbs for a steel frame is still respectable. My Geared Flight is about 27.5 lbs and my SS is 24.5 the stock wheels are boat anchors you could probably shave close to 1lb just by upgrading those. The build looks great. I'm thinking if I ever decide to go custom in the future I want the same geometry of the flight that I own.
    I agree those stock wheels are very heavy on my rigid SS. The WTB Dual Duty rims with Shimano hubs I'm using on this 1x9 build aren't exactly light either. I am a clyde right now at 235 lbs (unfortunately). My goal is to get back down to 200-210 lbs. It sucks...my legs are getting very strong as well as my lung capacity, but I can't seem to shed any of the 25 lbs I added over this long Midwest winter. I'm definitely going to have to concentrate more on diet and add in more weight lifting and jogging/running.

After my short ride on the new build I immediately noticed I felt a little cramped in the cockpit. I really couldn't figure it out until I got home and compared both of my Flights next to each other. The Thomson seatpost I'm using on the 1x9 doesn't "layback" any compared to the Ritchey Pro seatpost on SS.

I feel most comfortable on 17-18" / Medium frame sized bikes, but we all know how they can all feel a little different. I'm going to try the Ritchey Pro seatpost on the 1x9 next time I hit the trails and report back. Other than that I really love the build. I'm using the widest and flattest handlebar I could find and that's been interesting. I've got broad shoulders so it feels pretty good. I haven't hit any trees...yet.

Did I catch a niner?
    How do you like that Cane Creek S3? I just picked one up for my new Inbred build. And are you able to keep the Ourys from slipping? No matter what I do I get them to twist I tend to torque my hands around my bars.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

boba fett on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    How do you like that Cane Creek S3? I just picked one up for my new Inbred build. And are you able to keep the Ourys from slipping? No matter what I do I get them to twist I tend to torque my hands around my bars.
    I took some advice here and picked up the S3 on ebay (new) on the cheap and so far so good. The Ourys I have are lock ons so no slippage issues.

The more I started riding this build the more I'd like to drop some weight from it. Easy fix, but it'll cost $$ so it'll be a few months at least. I also decided to use a different seatpost because the Thomson I have isn't "set back" so I felt a little bit cramped. Other than that I've loving this build!

-zd
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for posting up all this...I am looking hard at a monocog, and thinking of upgrading along the lines as you have (fox, wheels).

dig that color too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Weight

Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter
    More pics...ALMOST done! It's definitely not a lightweight. The frame is a porker at 5.5 lbs. After riding it for awhile I can see myself going to a lighter crankset, cassette and a light, but strong tubeless wheelset.

Drop the shocks and go rigid adn you will shave 3-4 lbs.

boba fett on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ccd1977
    Drop the shocks and go rigid adn you will shave 3-4 lbs.
    See the exact same bike in the background of the pics...only SS and rigid? I own both. Sadly my back cannot handle riding rigid off-road. I tried it a few times, but my previous injuries started to bother me again.

Bicycle Addict
    Your build came out really nice man. Excellent color scheme too!
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Well done! What size is the frame?

mtbr member
    Nice Bike!

boba fett on a bike
    Thanks guys! Frame size is 17".

Apr 2007
    Nice build! Look into Stan's Flow/Arches wheelset. Light and strong.