mtbr member
    Jan 2012

My New to Me Monocog 29er

I recently picked up a used Redline Monocog 29er on craigslist for $325. The guy had a Rock Shox Dart 3 on it, but also had the rigid fork, which was included. He had some really old BB7's as well but had the v-brakes on it when I bought it, but had rotors on it also.

I haven't decided if I want to put the rigid fork on yet or not. My other bike is a Giant Anthem X 29er FS and I love it, but I blew my seals on the fox fork. Need to fix that.

I've done some mods to the mono thus far.
    1) Installed Avid Elixr 3 on the front (take off from my Giant--I upgraged to XT on it)
    2) Ghetto tubeless on the stock DH19 and Exiwolf tires
    3) WTB Rocket V seat, just installed last night
    4) New chain
    5) Trued wheels
    5) General clean up and lube

Mods in the works:
    1) Install Avid Elixr 3 on the rear (will be the take off from my Giant)
    2) Thinking about an 18t for the rear cog
    3) Maybe carbon handle bar (if I go rigid)
    4) New grips
    5) New headset when the stocker wears out

I'm not sure what year it is....06-07? It is the turd brown and I love the way it looks. I recently taught my little girl to ride a bike (no training wheels...yeah) and I wanted a quick beater bike to ride around with her (the FS is such overkill for that).

The pic is from it's maiden voyage with me.....it rides great and SS is awesome. My Giant might see much more garage time. However at 6'4" and 250lbs I remembered why I have a FS after the first ride. I need to learn to ride the mono better and use my body more as the suspension.

I am totally hooked on the SS and can see much more riding in the future....might even start commuting to work on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

tao
    succinct
    I like the brown ones. Go rigid.
    plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I have a Turd Brown 2006 edition...
    ...good luck, looks like ya got plans.

All of my R-Lines are rigid in case it matters, but I just like to ride rigid!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You can also consider a lightweight carbon rigid fork. I put a White Bros Rock Solid on my Mono and the handling is much improved. It's also lighter. The stock fork flexes a lot in corners, despite its stout appearance. Also think about a modern pipe spindle crankset. I put a Shimano Deore unit on mine, taken off another bike. The single chainring bolts right on.

Carbon bars are a great idea, lighter weight and better vibration damping. Get a lighter stem while your at it. Don't hold your breath waiting for the stock headset to wear out. Mine's still fine after 4 years of heavy use.
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    nice bike, what chain is ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. Glad to hear the headset might last.

I've started riding it to work. I'm not real happy with the DH19 wheels so I'm going to convert a left over Giant S-xc2 wheel set to be compatible and run those. However tubeless saved me on first commute. Had a 1 1/2 inch screw go through the edge of tread and Stan's sealed it right up. Was a different story when I removed the screw though.

The chain is a SRAM 1/8 singlespeed. It came with a 3/32 chain that was starting to rust. I haven't had a problem with the new chain at all and runs perfect.

mtbr member
    I was never happy with my headset. It always seemed to have a little play in it. I replaced the caged ball bearings with loose ones (added more balls because no cage, fit as many as would fit then remove one). It has been rock solid ever since.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Nice ride! The DH19 wheels are heavy but tough. I put mine through tons of abuse in the 3-4 years I had them. The rear finally developed a little play and I made that my excuse for a custom wheel build.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

New Additions

Haven't been on this thread much since getting the bike, but I've done some other stuff to it.

1) Ditched the Avid brakes, couldn't stand the noise and constant adjustments. Upgraded to SLX.
    2) ODI grips
    3) I've got one SXC2 wheel on, but need to get the right stuff to convert the rear hub before putting it on. Not the lightest, but is the cheapest since I have them laying around collecting dust.

Also including a pic of the screw that went into my tire from last post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New to Me Monocog 29er-img_0974-800x598-.jpg  

My New to Me Monocog 29er-img_0832-800x598-.jpg