mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Monocog Flite chain tension screw replacement?

So I had my bike into a LBS while on a trip because I forgot to bring my toolbox, and the mechanic over tensioned the chain tension screw...when I went to loosen, the bolt snapped. I've never been too thrilled with the screws - I'd prefer something beefier. Anyone know of an aftermarket option? Preferably something that uses an allen key head. I've found both the the head and nut are easy to strip. Here's a picture of the dropout so you can see what I'm talking about.

HOV
    mtbr member
    The tensioner screw is a M5-0.8. I use it in a 40mm length; look for an allen head drive screw labeled as M5-0.8x40 and you're set. I had to find mine "aftermarket" because my frame only came with one.

While you're at it, you can upgrade your slider screws too.

I'd like to find some M5-0.8 threaded knurled nuts to act as the tension screw lock, so they can be cinched down by hand.

The pic below shows my setup, the only difference now is that I switched out the hex head screw for one with allen drive so I don't have to carry any extra tools on the trail. Paint wear is courtesy of the former owner.

Sliders by Locuscope, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nice setup. I think a trip to the HW store is in order. I will post pics. You've got me thinking now. Maybe knurled head with hex socket for the tension bolts. Or a dog point head. Didn't even think of hand tensioning but that would be nice.