SoCal mtbr

Monocog Flight frame weight (size sm)

I just picked up a 2011 Monocog Flight frame and should be starting my build soon. The frame (no headset or seatpost clamp just the frame itself) weighs 5.44lbs as is.

Edit to include photo since I know we all love to see a pic..
    Last edited by arashi; 01-27-2011 at 08:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Might I ask where you were able to score a 2011 frame?

SoCal mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by haager
    Might I ask where you were able to score a 2011 frame?
    I bought it new/used. Some guy got a warranty replacement and he needed the money more than the replacement frame and I was the lucky one to swoop in on the deal

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What size is that frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    love the color combo

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have the same frame, but it is a large. It was also a warranty. I just recently noticed that the mounts on the down tube are not aligned correctly (the top mount is off center to the right) and are placed so that I cannot mount two water bottle cages (they overlap) . Of course this is not a huge problem, but it is really disappointing. Iíve been riding Redlines since I was a kid, and feel like their quality has diminished. I know that there can be problems with any bike, but my new frame is a warranty and it is not even right. At least the issue does not affect the ride which is pure awesome. I do plan to take it up to my LBS and see what they think. If I can get a new one sent while I keep this one then I may do that otherwise I will likely just live with it.

SoCal mtbr
    Ok I just finished her. Please excuse the gigantic pedals, I put them on so my friend could take her for a spin. With my XTR pedals she comes in at 23.1lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monocog Flight frame weight (size sm)-monocog1.jpg  

Monocog Flight frame weight (size sm)-monocog2.jpg  

Monocog Flight frame weight (size sm)-monocog3.jpg  

Monocog Flight frame weight (size sm)-monocog4.jpg  

Monocog Flight frame weight (size sm)-monocog5.jpg  

Customer: How spicy is medium?
    Waitress: It's "medium"...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looks like you built yourself one very nice monocog. Wish I were man enough to ride ss.

SoCal mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tiki
    Looks like you built yourself one very nice monocog. Wish I were man enough to ride ss.
    Thanks man! I felt the same way about SS until I actually rode one myself. You won't believe how efficient a bike can be when you eliminate things like the rear derailleur, suspension and weight. My Niner RIP9 is 9lbs heavier than my Monocog Flight! My SS doesn't replace my RIP9 it's just a different type of ride. It makes the trails I ride on a regular basis a whole new adventure! Besides it makes me appreciate my RIP9 when I get back on her, she's like a Cadillac!

Monocog Flight = Fast uphill.
    RIP9 = Fast downhill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    nice build! looking at getting back in the game and was thinking this same rig (old school bmx'er from way back in the day). what was the final weight and component list... or is that a "secret ingredient list"

SoCal mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by pl-24
    nice build! looking at getting back in the game and was thinking this same rig (old school bmx'er from way back in the day). what was the final weight and component list... or is that a "secret ingredient list"
    Thanks!

Small 2011 Monocog Flight Frame
    White Brothers Rock Solid Carbon Fork
    Specialized Phenom Expert saddle
    Easton EC70 Flat Wide XC bar
    Easton EC70 27.2 400mm seat post
    Thomson 100mm stem
    Ergon GX1 grips (replaced the ESI grips in photo)
    Hope Tech M4 brakes front and rear (yes, I know it's a lot of brakes but I love them and that's what I run on my RIP9 so there's no adjustment when going from one bike to the other)
    Chris King headset
    Hope bolt on seat post clamp (replaced Salsa bolt on seat post clamp in photo because the Salsa read anodize doesn't match the Chris King headset and from personal experience the Salsa anodize fades quickly)
    Shimano 980 XTR pedals
    2010 Shimano XT crankset and BB
    Spot 32T SS chainring
    Surly 20T rear cog with Surly spacer kit to run with 9spd rear hub
    Sram 870 8spd chain
    Sun EQ27 29er rims run tubeless with Stans yellow tape and sealant
    Hope Pro2 front hub (because there are rubbing issues against the fork with some other hubs (including Chris King hubs) and Hope 2 piece brake rotors)
    Chris King rear hub with stainless steel drive shell
    DT Comp spokes with Red anodize nipples
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front tire and Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 rear tire

Ok, I think that's everything....Final weight is 23.1lbs with pedals

mtbr member
    Laaaa.....from the dead. OP - how do you like your monocog flight thus far? I'm reading there have been some issues with weak frames (near top tube and chain stays?).