Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Monocog Flight....

frame and fork availability?

Apr 2007
    Had my LBS call Redline and they said not until March will try have frame sets available. Fortunately, I was able to get a frame through a member on here for a good price. But I snagged the last one.

Keep an eye on eBay.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    are they selling the frame and fork separately again? I was told a year ago they stopped doing that?

Apr 2007
    From what my LBS said the Redline rep said, they will be. But not until the the supply demand for the complete bikes are met, which they said should be around March.

mtbr member
    Have they started to offer the frame set yet? I would like to get one to go with my 07

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Looking for the Flight Frame. I have a 2008 that I converted back to SS. I want to get another one for a 1x9 setup. Have they started selling them yet?

Apr 2007
    I know Bounty Hunter was going back and forth on building up the second frame he has. Hit him up.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I need a large one. I think he's rides a medium doesn't he?

Apr 2007
    Oh, you may be right. I've got a Large Monocog 29er (non-Flight) frame that you could turn into a SS and keep your current one at 1x9.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Oh, you may be right. I've got a Large Monocog 29er (non-Flight) frame that you could turn into a SS and keep your current one at 1x9.
    I've got a non Flight Monocog also. Looking to add a 3rd bike.

boba fett on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    I need a large one. I think he's rides a medium doesn't he?
    Yeah I ride medium. I'm still on the fence about selling my 08 Flight frame. I almost have enough parts collected over the past few months to build it up.

I was thinking going 1x9 with the rigid and building the other frame up SS with the Fox FIT RLC 100mm. There are a few other bikes that have captured my attention lately and I've been test riding them trying to make a decision on what to do. This is such an addictive sport. So many great bikes...so little money.

You might want to check with my LBS to see if they have any large frames available. PM me if you want the contact info. That's what p nut did. BTW p nut - do you have that thing built up yet?

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter
    BTW p nut - do you have that thing built up yet?
    Actually, sold my frame to CupofJava. I had to build up my wife's bike and didn't have funds to do both. When I ordered that frame, that was the last one they had.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Thanks pnut, I should have the frame built by the end of the week. I'll post pics.

boba fett on a bike
    Thanks pnut, I should have the frame built by the end of the week. I'll post pics.
    Details on the build???

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Details on the build???
    Hmm let's see.. I haven't decided if I'm going to make it a SS or 1x9 for my race this weekend.

2009 Fox F29 RLC 100mm
    either 2009 Avid BB7 or 2008 Avic Juicy 7
    Shimano XT M770 Cranks 175mm w/ 32T SS chainring
    Truvativ Team Carbon low riser bar
    WTB Laserdisc Lite w/ Sun EQ23 rims DT Comp spokes
    WTB Pure V saddle
    Thomson X2 Stem
    Thomson Seatpost

Drivetrain Geared option:
    Sram PG990 9 speed cassette (11-32)
    Sram X0 Short cage Rear derailleur

SS Option:
    WTB Single Duty 18T cog

~expecting to be around 25lbs for the geared and 24lbs for SS

My other Flight is nearly identical, I'm running 34x20 SS which fits me perfectly for most conditions. If its a fast course I might go 32x18 or geared if its really really fast.

Apr 2007
    Good luck at the races! Glad it's being put to good use. Going through serious seller's remorse right now. But I'm almost done with the wife's bike, too, and should be ready to ride by this weekend.

boba fett on a bike
    Sounds like a nice build. So are you using one geared and the other SS?

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Once my Thomson stem and seatpost come in within the next few days the bike should be done. I decided to go with a 1x9 32x11-32
    Last edited by CupOfJava; 04-27-2010 at 11:51 AM.

offroader
    Dec 2008

Apr 2007
    All of the sudden, I have a hankering for some double-mint gum.

Nice build!

boba fett on a bike
    Nice twins Java. Any reason why you went with two nearly identical builds? Why not have one SS? Just curious. Ultimately I'd like to have one of mine rigid or squish 1x9 and the other squish SS. However...I keep looking at other new 29er HTs. The new Scott Scale 29er has really gotten my interest.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Nice twins Java. Any reason why you went with two nearly identical builds? Why not have one SS? Just curious. Ultimately I'd like to have one of mine rigid or squish 1x9 and the other squish SS. However...I keep looking at other new 29er HTs. The new Scott Scale 29er has really gotten my interest.
    I wanted the option of going geared or SS and I also wanted a backup bike. I simply love the monocog flight and the 2008 frame is the prettiest frame out there.

boba fett on a bike
    I wanted the option of going geared or SS and I also wanted a backup bike. I simply love the monocog flight and the 2008 frame is the prettiest frame out there.
    I couldn't agree more about the best looking of all the Flights. Do you have the same Fox forks on both? Are they set to 100mm? Have you tried 80mm at all? You're starting to inspire me.

Not to clutter your thread with OT (and if you'd prefer to keep it to PM let me know)... I've accumulated a few sets of tires now. I see you like SB8s. I have a brand new set of SB8s, my used Ignitors, a brand new set of Ignitors and some new take-off WTB Prowler SLs. I'm wondering if I should experiment with different setups front and rear or just run them as paired sets. I wasn't sure if you've experimented.

Any other suggestions on setup since you know these Flights so well?

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I couldn't agree more about the best looking of all the Flights. Do you have the same Fox forks on both? Are they set to 100mm? Have you tried 80mm at all? You're starting to inspire me.

Not to clutter your thread with OT (and if you'd prefer to keep it to PM let me know)... I've accumulated a few sets of tires now. I see you like SB8s. I have a brand new set of SB8s, my used Ignitors, a brand new set of Ignitors and some new take-off WTB Prowler SLs. I'm wondering if I should experiment with different setups front and rear or just run them as paired sets. I wasn't sure if you've experimented.

Any other suggestions on setup since you know these Flights so well?
    Yea I have Fox F29 100mm RLC on both. I have not tried 80mm. I'm pretty happy with the travel, although I know it's recommended to use 80mm. I like it much better now than before when I had a full rigid setup with the stock fork. I thought about selling the bike before I made the switch to a front suspension.

I really like the Sb8's as you can tell when I like something I tend to get a bunch of them. I thought the ignitors were good tires when I had them, but I wanted something for all types of riding and the Sb8 fit the bill. I've ridden them on snow, gravel, hard pack, roots, rocks, road, and mud and I can't say one bad thing about them. And they're pretty light. I've run Panaracer Rampage in the past and they have as much grip as a 500lb gorilla. I liked them but I wanted something more versatile.

I recommend using wide rim wheels like the Stan's Flow. One regret about the build was I used Sun EQ23's on my wheel build and they're narrow rims. I prefer having a wider footprint when I ride. I'm using the exact same tires on both bikes (29x2.1), but you can tell the flows make the tires look and feel like 2.3. While the EQ23's make them look like 2.1.

Also, don't forget to buy a geared droppout for the frame if you haven't already. They're about $25. I got mine from amazon.com.

Enjoy the bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Bumpin this back up.

Are they selling frames yet? Looking for a 2010 29er Monocog frame in large. I want the blue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast