boba fett on a bike

Monocog Flight 29er tire setups

I'm curious what tire setups all of you are currently using. I bought a complete 08 Flight off ebay and the guy rode it on paved trails only ( ). Well...the stock rear Ignitor inner knobs are pretty worn down. I'm wondering if I should just get another or go with something else.

Is anyone using a bigger or more aggressive tire up front? Tubless?

Apr 2007
    I fitted WTB 2.3's in the back with no problems. Looks like there will be enough room for 2.4's. I'm definitely running 2.4's up front (if not bigger). Might do the same in the back. Looking at Mtn King's or SB8's.

mtbr member
    Small block 8 in the back, ignitor in the front. Seems to be a good combo. Will most likely put a small block 8 on the front as well once things dry up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Funny, I HATE the Ignitor up front, but feel it works pretty good in the back. I tend to ride the Mono when it's wet, so my usual front tire is a Kenda Nevegal.

I feel the nevegal is much more predictable, especially at the edge of traction.

And I love the SB8, that's my XC race tire.
    11 Flint
    08 Monocog Flight
    06 X-Caliber
    96 F400 (SS townie)

08 Schwinn Sierra TDM (gravel tandem)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm300
    Funny, I HATE the Ignitor up front, but feel it works pretty good in the back. I tend to ride the Mono when it's wet, so my usual front tire is a Kenda Nevegal.

I feel the nevegal is much more predictable, especially at the edge of traction.

And I love the SB8, that's my XC race tire.

I kept the ignitor on the front more out of laziness to try something different. A guy that I ride with has used the sb8 rear/nevegal front set up for awhile now and is pretty happy with it. Might be time to experiment!Cheers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kbporter
    A guy that I ride with has used the sb8 rear/nevegal front set up for awhile now and is pretty happy with it. Might be time to experiment!Cheers.
    I use that front/rear setup on my 26" trailbike and it's been great, just took a few rides to adapt to the weaker braking bite of the SB8 (had a Nev on the rear before that). The SB8 locks up a bit easier to it takes some feathering and a little more caution to use as a rear...but...rolls super well..
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Apr 2007
    I found that the Nevegals were pretty heavy. But for the front, shouldn't matter much. I might try that set up, too.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Conti MK 2.4 up front and a WTB Stout 2.3 out back for the winter/spring.

Probably switch back to the WTB Prolwer 2.1 for the rear once it dries out - just wish they'd make a higher-volume version of that tire, thought I may switch to an Exiwolf 2.3.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Apr 2007
    jcaino - I'm running Exiwolf's right now and I'm not too impressed. I seem to slip more on hardpack dirt. Nevegals I ran previous didn't have this problem.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    The ignitors are good all around tires. Lots of grip in most conditions. The aren't the fastest rolling tires though. I want to try a SB8 out back with something wider up front at some point.

boba fett on a bike
    I picked up a set of new takeoff WTB Prowler SL 2.1s at a LBS today for dirt cheap. I don't know anything about these tires, but for the money I can't beat trying them out. I will mount them up when I go 1x9 on my rigid Flight with the new Dual Duty rims + Shimano hubs wheelset. I still need a rear derailleur, chain and a shift lever.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter
    I picked up a set of new takeoff WTB Prowler SL 2.1s at a LBS today for dirt cheap. I don't know anything about these tires, but for the money I can't beat trying them out. I will mount them up when I go 1x9 on my rigid Flight with the new Dual Duty rims + Shimano hubs wheelset. I still need a rear derailleur, chain and a shift lever.

They're a great tire - I used them last year, getting a Conti MK 2.4 for the front when I wore the rear out (then swapped the remaining Prowler to the rear) It's about half worn, so is waiting until summer to see duty again. They're a great all-rounder tire which saw just about every kind of condition you can imagine. They roll well, grip well (even when wet, at lower pressures), never had a sidewall issue, etc. I just wish WTB would make a higher volume version of the same tire.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ignitor up front
    Crossmark out back

Crossmark seems to to work well in wet or dry conditions and is a reasonable weight and fast rolling. Though the SB8 is a good tire, the crossmark has been more dependable for me.

mtbr member

+1 for the Nevegals

I run them front and back (reversed in the back, they hook up like a demon) on my Monocog 29er.

wheelmanron
    May 2009
    I run a pair of CST Caballeros on Kris Holm 38mm rims. Stable and I can rail through turns.

I like dirt
    Running WTB Weirwolf 2.55LT up front and Geax Seguaro (sp?). Been riding hardpack, dead leaves, sand, roots, rocks, steeps, and the combo has been nothing less than awesome. Corners hard, is predictable, and rolls quick. I ride rigid fork and the weirwolf gives a little cushion.