mtbr member
    Oct 2009

monocog flight 29er OR monocog 29er + $400 upgrades

I've been stressing over this issue lately. I've done a TON of search and reading but was only able to test ride the monocog 29er. I will be looking at the 2009/10 models. For those of you who have tried both models is the flight's sanko frame worth the extra money? how much more handling and lighter is it? This has been asked before in the forums but with not enough details. If any RL reps would chime in I would greatly appreciate it.

Also what upgrade path should I look for if I had extra $400 to spend on the monocog 29er if I want to keep the bike rigid and SS. I have a general idea reading people's forum posts as well as their setup from the reviews. I'm trying to upgrade the most essential component upon delivery to receive a 20% discount, unfortunately the LBS (although very helpful and courteous) does not seem too knowledgeable in this area and has been giving me very generic advice.

I don't want top of the line components but they have to be solid and midtier. So far I've been thinking Avid BB7 + FR5 lever, easton carbon bar, thompson post/stem, stylo cranks

mtbr member
    I would just stick with the Flight. It's a really solid package straight out of the box and the upgrades that you were mentioning will not do much to top the Flight IMO.

habitual line-stepper
    if i could've afforded the flight, i would've gotten it. however, if i was gonna throw $400 at my 2010 monocog, i'd probably go for a stiff, lightweight set of hoops and better brakes. bww has a good deal on a set of mavics laced to xt hubs. brakes, i'd go for bb7's with sd7 levers for a solid, adjustable set-up. even after those, you'd have some cash leftover for personal stuff too, like a saddle or grips. good luck!

mtbr member
    I started with an '06 Monocog 29er and changed the headset, pedals, and grips before 1st ride. Then changed saddle and brake levers after a few rides. Then added bb7's, and avid levers. Then bent the post and changed to sette apx which bent also, so now back on the stock warranty replacement. Then I changed my technique, getting my butt off the saddle so much. Most recent changes have been salsa 17degree bars, titec h-bars, oury grips, 32t salsa ring, 18t cheap cog, salsa gordo/xt wheels, and various tires.

Looking back, the changes that had the biggest impact were: bb7's/levers, pedals, wtb saddle, h-bars/oury's, and different tires. My current favorite tire combo is the wtb nanoraptor in the rear and the panaracer rampage in the front. I kind of wish I would've went with a rear hub with quicker engagement to make up for my sloppy technique.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be really happy with either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks guys so much! very helpful and concise answers just the kind I was looking for!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I would go Monocog and upgrade to BB7's and as Ozmosis said Titec H-bar or J-bar and your preference of grips. I run the J-bar and love it. Cheap 18t cog and your set.
    I didn't upgrade my saddle cause honestly I'm never on it.

After that just upgrade as you feel the need or as something breaks. Honestly just save your money and go Monocog. I guarantee you will be happier in the end.

mtbr member
    I was going for the standard 'cog. But I wanted disc brakes. A set of BB7s were going to set me back $110.

Then I found out for $100 on top of the brakes, I could have a Flight.

I've heard of issues with headset, and wheels going out of true immediately on the standard model.

But so far, after 20hrs of riding, I've only needed a minor touch up on the rear wheels and just some fine tuning with the brakes and gearing (different rear cog).

The Flight comes with upgraded rims, cranks, butted tubing. I am running stock everything...well, except for the saddle. I needed one with a longer rail so I swapped in a saddle that I had already.

Oh, new pedals since I like SPDs.

Definitely worth a large bill for the little upgrades all over the bike.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Just went to my LBS and ordered another 09 Flight today. I bought one back at the first of the year and sold it around the beginning of this summer. Regret doing so. I never had ANY trouble out of ANY of the stock components on that bike. As for the wheels, I flatted on the front during a 6hr race and rode on semi rocky terrain for approximately 5 miles and the wheel stayed perfectly true. Even the tire held up fine. I threw another tube in it and I was good to go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not sure of the 2010's but with earlier models the Flight gave the option of running gears (with a different hanger) whereas the standard 'cog didn't. I bought a second-hand '07 Flight that was stock except for brakes (has Hayes Stroker Rydes) and the only things I've changed are the pedals (spd), grips and stem (for sizing). The bike absolutely hauls!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by traffic002

I've heard of issues with headset, and wheels going out of true immediately on the standard model.
    The only headset problems were from the 07 models and that was on the flight also. Never heard of a problem with the wheels staying true. And mine are staying true.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider
    Not sure of the 2010's but with earlier models the Flight gave the option of running gears (with a different hanger) whereas the standard 'cog didn't. I bought a second-hand '07 Flight that was stock except for brakes (has Hayes Stroker Rydes) and the only things I've changed are the pedals (spd), grips and stem (for sizing). The bike absolutely hauls!
    Good point.

The flight frame is ready to run gears if you want that option.
    Just get out and ride!

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I own both. Go with the flight, it's a much nicer bike and the frame weighs much less. On the other hand if you want to ride an indestructible tank get the Monocog. I love them both equally for very different reasons.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm having fun on my new monocog 29er. Replaced the rear 20 with a 22. In doing so noticed the rear wheel bearings are super stiff. Will try to get that straightened out. The rear hub sonetimes makes a lot of noise during engagement and slow to engage once in awhile. Not enough trouble to replace at this time.

mtbr member
    I had a 09 Flight that was kind of an impulse buy last year, then I sold it a couple of weeks later. Now I wish I still had it after looking at the base models.
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    correct me if i am wrong, I think if you're after a tank (as cupofjava has already mentioned), go for the normal monocog as I believe it is a stronger frame than the flight, you can always upgrade the parts but you can't make the frame stronger.

anyone has any issues with the flight in term of durability?? I'm also considering the flight but would opt for the monocog if it means it can take much more abuse (eventhough it means it will be a lot heavier and less valuable).

mtbr member
    Well, the main difference is that the Flight is double butted and the regular is straight gauge.

Frames usually fail where the Flight would be thicker steel anyway. So I think the "strength" difference is rather nominal.

And if you were to upgrade, wouldn't it be nice to upgrade a nicer frame plus the ability to run gears if you wanted?
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    yeah i agree you should upgrade a nicer frame however I have heard nice frame being more fragile (to compromise weight) and if that's the case for the flight, i would opt for normal cog as I would rather upgrading a frame that will last for a longer time.

If the difference of durability or strength between the cog and the flight is nominal, definitely go for the flight, it's a better bang for your buck anyway. =)

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    For the (07?) green year of the flight, redline had a lot of issues with the headtube gusset cracking. Those seem to have been resolved, but I might still be wary of big drops on that frame. I've never heard of a broken monocog, and there are plenty out there.

That said, I would generally get the flight just because I think the geo is better, not to mention the versatility of the frame (can be geared) and the better parts.