mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Monocog Chain Tug

Hi-
    My 2010 did not come with the chain tugs attached. This is going to sound stupid, but I am having trouble getting the chain tugs on right. Here is my problem:

Using the picture of the bike on the Redline website as a reference, I tried using the forward hole on the tug. The issue I'm having is that the set screw bottoms out before I can get the chain tight enough. Should I remove a link? If so, from where on the chain should I remove it?

Also, once I have it figured out, what is the best way to get the tire straight? With my old bmx bike, it was always easy to eyeball it. I plan on adding BB7s and can imagine the nightmare it's going to be to get everything straight.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Have you tried the second hole on the chain tug? They might be using a different cog in the picture or they might have a shorter chain, but the easiest solution to try first would be the other hole on the tug

As for disc brakes with horizontal dropouts, eyeballing it should work fine. I eyeball it with hydraulic brakes on my Inbred and hydros usually have a smaller pad gap than you would set up on a BB7

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I ended up removing the half link on the chain. I now have plenty of room to allow for chain stretch.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    If the chain tugs are anything like the ones on my 07 MC, they're worthless anyway. Just take them off and tension your chain by feel and eyeball.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoranbiker
    If the chain tugs are anything like the ones on my 07 MC, they're worthless anyway. Just take them off and tension your chain by feel and eyeball.
    Any reason why you think they are worthless?

mtbr member
    Never had an issue with my stock tensioners. No half links or anything. My new chain is approximately the same length as my stock chain with the original 20t. I'm now running a 32x18 gearing.

You really just need to sit down and play with it. I bet you could ditch the half link and have no issues (most people only run a half link as a last resort). You have more than enough room for adjusting the chain tension by removing/adding whole links and fiddling with the stock tensioners.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The stock tensioner's are fine...

Although I replaced mine with Profiles, the Redline's worked great...

BMX racers have been using this design for years.....

Gate starts produce lots of torque.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monocog Chain Tug-profiles.jpg