Thread: Monocog 69er...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Monocog 69er...

i can score a mono 26 that is my size (ginormous 21"), yet like the appeal of a 29" front wheel...so i said to myself, "self how 'bout a mono 69er?"

has it been done? if so anyone got any info? if not, that what is the consensus?
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I would expect that it would "work" fine

however, although I do own two 29ers, I don't like 69ers at all. If your a solid rider the biggest advantages imo from the 29er platform are the better traction on climbs and the way the rear wheel comes up and over stuff without slowing you down neither of which you get with a 69er. Why not just ride it 26" rigid? I'm always surprised how well mine works when I do take it out.

edit- or with a front fork if you prefer

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    interesting idea, are you thinking about getting a 26'er frame and then putting the 29er fork up front to handle the big wheel? that'll slacken out the HA a bit and raise the BB. IMHO I think you'll fubar the beautiful monocog geometry in the process. does the 29" rear wheel bother you that much? 29" both ends works pretty damn well...

Ride da mOOn Moderator

No good

Bad choice...

...basically tried that with 2 Redlines, a 26er Monocog & a 29er Monocog. It might work if you had or found a custom fork with less overall height.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i am accustom to a kona coiler deelux with a 160mm on the front...i will slack or at least that is what i am accustom too...

my objective initially was to 29 the front and use a lone 650b that i have sittin around...i have got a garbage pale full of components just waiting for a build...!!!

i like originality...26" monocog with a 29" front and 27.5" rear sounds different (ie original)...

i have nothin against a full blown 29er but i am a miser who rides bikes...

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I tried it once on my 26" Monocog. It really felt sluggish compared to the quick BMX feel it has.. I didn't care for it all.

mtbr member
    It will work fine. Just don't use a "29er" fork. Get a 26" rigid fork (White Bros. Carbon) and the 29" wheel will fit in there no problem without screwing up the geometry. I think you'll like 69er set up much better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    may try a surly instigator fork...if not try to place a 29in wheel/tire combo in a surly 1x1 fork...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    It will work fine. Just don't use a "29er" fork. Get a 26" rigid fork (White Bros. Carbon) and the 29" wheel will fit in there no problem without screwing up the geometry. I think you'll like 69er set up much better.
    This sounds pretty good.

The 26 rigid fork would maintain the original geometry a lot better than the 29. It would provide the stability, front end traction and rollability of the 29 if you have the 26. And your investment would be limited to just a 29 front wheel/tire.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Yeah, give it a try. A lot of people are already doing it with their 26" wheeled bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003

Do it

I LOVE IT! Only bike I ride now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monocog 69er...-69er.jpg