mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Monocog 29er sizing???

Im about 6 feet tall with a 32 inseam, I stood over a 19 in Cog and it I had only about 1 inch clearance

Sound too big? Any thoughts from anyone out there around my size?

thx

mtbr member
    You can ride either a 17inch or a 19 inch. Test ride a 17 inch.
    These threads may help one two remember a flight has a shorter top tube than a monocog
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

WNC Native
    You'll be right on the 19" frame. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and have owned 2 19" Monocogs. 17" would definitely have been too small!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Another 2 cents
    I still don't think a 17inch will be definitely too small. If his inseam really is 32 then he should be able to ride a 17" with a lot of seat post showing. Which you need if you want your bars level or lower than your seat height. If you like riding in the "beach cruiser" position or the "sit up and beg" position as some call it. Getting a frame that is too big allows you to ride this way with ease.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nitrousjunky and I are almost the same height and inseam. I'm 5'-10.5" and 32" inseam. I test road a 19" Monocog Flight and a 17" D440. The 19" Flight felt big and very awkward to stand over. The manager at the LBS immediately said, "You'll need a 17," when I stood over the 19" Flight. (Of course, I was in my Chuck Taylors which have no real sole to speak of.) The 17" D440 felt much more comfortable. Both in riding and in stand over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

thanks

thanks for the opinions. i wish i could try the 17,but the LBS has a 19 half off and no others in stock. the size is really close for me, still not sure what to do. Lets put it this way, when i stood over the bike, "the boys" just barely touched the top tube. I also felt really stretched out on the bike, but this could also be that i am coming off about 5 years straight of riding a DH bike.

?????hmmmmmm

mtbr member
    I'm also 6'0" with a 32" inseam and just picked up a 19" Flight, although I only have 1 ride in, it feels right to me, I wouldn't say I felt stretched out on it but it did feel more roomy than my 18" 1x1, granted the geometry on those two frames is completely different....I'm pleased with the 19" and feel like the 17" would be too small.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm 5' 11" 33" inseam and ride a 19" and shortened the stem to 85mm. I believe both both 17" and 19" would fit you and it comes down to riding style and preference. If you ride a lot of tight singletrack and technical stuff then go 17" if you ride more straight, open trails, go 19". Ether way you may need to make some adjustment in stem and handlebars for perfect fit. If at all possible test ride both and then decide.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoegold
    thanks for the opinions. i wish i could try the 17,but the LBS has a 19 half off and no others in stock. the size is really close for me, still not sure what to do. Lets put it this way, when i stood over the bike, "the boys" just barely touched the top tube. I also felt really stretched out on the bike, but this could also be that i am coming off about 5 years straight of riding a DH bike.

?????hmmmmmm
    If the 19 a real good price that make sit hard BUT it must fit you.

Try getting the shop to adjust the seat (forward/back) for you. See if you can get them to fit a shorter stem eg 60 to 90mm. Imagine the bars were a little shorter (0.75 of an inch each side) just hold the grips towards the middle a bit. Wide hands make you closer to the bars. Lots of people are happy with very little top tube clearance. I have very little on my 26 but some is important too. Don't make your decision based purely on price because you may regret it.