mtbr member
    May 2010

Monocog 29'er questions

After 5 years of no riding, I am finally going to climb back in the saddle. I suffered an accident on my last bike (Cannondale) which broke my left arm, wrist and collarbone. IT WAS A NASTY WRECK.... I hit an Oak tree on a downhill at about 35mph. My Cannondale's frame broke completely in half !!
    I am 40 now and about 30lbs overweight and need to get active again. I went ahead and ordered me a new 2010 Redline Monocog Standard. I should have it in a week or so. I know the frame and fork are "tank tough" but am curious about the rest of the components like the headset, bars, stem, BB, cranks, wheels, etc.
    I have a (like new) set of Shimano XT V-Brakes w/ levers from my last bike(destroyed Cannondale) that I will immeadiately put on my new Monocog. They should be a good improvement over the stock Tektro's and the fact that I already have them is really good. I was thinking about a set of BB 7's but I already have a great set of V-brakes and might as well use them.
    How about the other components ? I am not looking to cut weight as this will be my "work-out & sweat" ride. I want/need DURABILITY first and formost as I am hard on my gear. Price and weight does not concern me as much as quality/durability does. I do not mind paying for quality but if the Redline factory components are tough and hold up well then I will just swap out my brakes and maybe a new handle bar & grips to start. I appreciate any & all advice you fellow Monocoger's can throw at me.
    I also want a good "bash plate" for my front ring.......any suggestions ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ride it till it breaks and then replace the broken bits with better bits. No point throwing out components that are already in place and working unless they don't fit you (seat, bars, stem,pedals) or you are looking to save weight. Oh, but get a set of clipless pedals, you can pull up!

habitual line-stepper
    www.bbgbashguard.com

but to be honest, the stock truvativ piece has held up fine for the past 7 months on my '10 cog. i was thinking of removing it all together because i'm tired of cleaning out mud and pine needles from between the guard and chainring.
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I did not realize that the Monocog came with a factory installed bashguard. I have never seen a Monocog before (other than pics). I just ordered one on the good reputation. I should have it by the end of the week. How are the cranks & BB ?...... sturdy/strong ?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have an 08 MC and I'm probably now going to change out the headset and change out the bottom bracket (or maybe the whole crankset). Both the headset and BB are pretty cheap, so expect them to go out first.

For brakes, the stock Tektro's are actually pretty good. But I had a pair of XTR v-brakes in my parts bin, so threw them on there. I love them.

habitual line-stepper
    Quote Originally Posted by crazdgunman
    I did not realize that the Monocog came with a factory installed bashguard. I have never seen a Monocog before (other than pics). I just ordered one on the good reputation. I should have it by the end of the week. How are the cranks & BB ?...... sturdy/strong ?
    meh, they work. entry-level square-taper cranks, nothing special. i've worn off some paint from the crank arms, but they've held up well to riding this past PNW winter; no creaks or groans. i've got a couple different cranksets laying around for the inevitable death of the stockers (fsa isis or RF x-type).

other than that, all my "upgrades" have been for fit, not performance (saddle, stem, handlebars, grips, pedals). if i splurge, it'll be on a wheelset that will eventually make its way to a banshee paradox... a guy can dream, right?

enjoy your monocog

edit: actually, i added bb5's and sd7's, since the v-brakes weren't cutting it in the wet, if that counts as a "performance upgrade"
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My 08 has had some issues. The bottom bracket only lasted a few weeks, the chainring bent after a couple of months, the rear wheel never would stay true, and the seatpost clamp gave out in the first few months. I never had any problems with the stock V brakes though, I really hated to have to switch to a disk up front when I replaced the fork.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Well I have already picked up a set of Oury grips and will change to Shimano XT V-brakes and levers since I already have them. I am thinking of throwing in a Chris King or Cane Creek S3 headset just for the sake of having better stuff in there. I would like to know what would be a rock solid BB & crank set to use ? I will run the stock rims until I bend'em then upgrade to a higher end wheelset at that time.

Is dang happy!
    Skip the V brake swap and go straight to BB7, you will not regret it. After the third adjustment and a stem (upgrade) the stock headset has held up fine for three years now. Wish the BB would fail so I can stick something lighter in.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I had considered that but have been told by others that putting disc brakes on a Monocog standard (not Flight) with the basic horizontal dropouts does not work/align very well and can be a real P.I.T.A. What is the general consensus on this from you guys who have tried this ?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    At least try out your XT vbrakes since you already have them. No sense on spending $100 when you don't have to. If you do ride in wet weather a lot, it might be worthwhile to go discs, though.

For cranks, I really like my SLX cranks on my other bike, so that's what I'm going to put on the Monocog. Got mine for $100 on craigslist--pretty much new.