mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Monocog 29er Facelift

I gave my 2010 monocog a facelift. I started by getting the frame powder coated, added some BB7 brakes, new crankset, and chain. The big project was tackling my our wheel build with Hope Pro2 hubs and Stan's Flow rims. I have to say the wheel building was a very fun and rewarding process. I had some general direction and spoke sizing help from a friend of mine and used Gerd Schraner's "The Art of Wheelbuilding" book and it was much easier than I thought it would be.

I know, the wheel set cost more than the rest of the bike. But I love the frame and the wheels make such a big difference.

Not that I am going to or trying to win any weight contests with this chromoly frame, but the total rig comes in at 26 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monocog 29er Facelift-picture-002.jpg  

Monocog 29er Facelift-picture-003.jpg  

Monocog 29er Facelift-picture-007.jpg  

Monocog 29er Facelift-picture-009.jpg  

Monocog 29er Facelift-picture-011.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    She's a beauty....dig that color! I have the 2010 Monocog and just purchased some Chris King wheels for it...awesome bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    that color is so much better than the stock dark blue and all the decals. i spotted a haro in that very color at my lbs and i really like it. it really stands out and im sure the pictures dont do the color justice.
    ive got parts ordered for my 2010 facelift but im thinking about brown. a really nasty looking brown that will dissuade potential thieves. im debating on leaving the old vbrake hangers and braze ons or taking a grinder to them before powdercoat. also i like the black forks as its got me thinking about my own project plans.
    did you upgrade the headset? i noticed you kept the stylos stem. i think i will also. I chopped about an 1" 1/4 off each side of the bars and wow what a difference it made in the handling.
    anyway great job i really like what you have done
    ryz

ps that color reminds me of this classic british sports car...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks. I did change the headset to a budget orgin8 model. I have a race face 6 degree stem on order that I will replace the stock stylos with. I left the brake bosses braze-ons and power coated over. I just dis not want to mess with cutting a piece of the frame. I like it without the decals. It is funny, on the trails I often get people asking questions about what kind of bike it is and often think it is a boutique frame. Little do they know how afforadable it is.