mtbr member

monocog 26 vs Surly 1x1, Bianchi SS, etc

I have been riding the piss out of my 2010 Cog 26 and I love it. I have upgraded most of the parts on my bike over the past two years and the final push toward a custom bike is a new frame. since the Monocog is (apparently) straight gauge tubing, it's over six pounds. I am pretty sure I can get a frame that's strong enough for my 140 pounds on xc turf thats two whole pounds lighter but I don't know where to go from here. 26" hardtails are a dying breed of bike these days, and even more scarce as framesets. I am considering the affordable Surly 1x1 or perhaps something domestically made like a Gunnar Ruffian, but those might be out of reach for me due to cost. If I can find an old Bianchi SS frame, that might work too. any other suggestions for a lightweight steel 26" SS frames?

mtbr member
    I have mine built up at about 26 pounds and I feel like it could be a lot lighter with a lighter frame. is anyone else bothered by a 6 + pound frame?

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have ridden my 05' Monocog for thousands of miles. The weight has only bothered me on longer climbs when riding with others. But then some days I have led the pack up the hills, so maybe those extra two pounds really don't matter. If you like the frame, maybe just invest in some lighter wheels for it.

mtbr member
    I have the original Redline hubs laced up to Mavic 517's (sub-450 gram rims) with double-butted spokes and Conti Race King tires. without getting something exotic, i don't think I could make my wheels a whole lot lighter. I also have a Thomson post, Salsa Pro Moto bars, and truvativ stylo cranks with ceramic BB. the only thing left to make the bike lighter is the frame and maybe the rear hub. I just can't get into the carbon fiber thing either, so no carbon bars or posts. all that's left is that porky frame. it rides nicely no doubt, but i have ridden lighter bikes before and lighter does feel a lot better. light steel 26" SS frames are disappearing lately.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Get the frame you can buy new and afford to replace. SS, HT MTB frames are a wear-item in my experience. Surly is the obvious/best choice for replacement.

Then again, there's something very cool about a Monocog. Had a 2007 flite myself, in the brief 26" flite era. Liked it (broke it), but a flite isn't a real Monocog anyway. In your position, I'd spend a bit of the frame replacement cash on crisper brakes (if you haven't already) and a set of slicks for street riding and be done with it. You can't concern yourself too much with performance if you're going to ride steel SSHT.

Do a youtube search for '1950 cyclocross race'. Let roadies worry about 2 lbs. My touring bike has a two pound kickstand.

mtbr member
    I have Avid BB7's and several sets for dirt tires for it. this is a trail-only bike. I have another bike set up for pavement. seriously, the only thing left is the frame.

mtbr member
    Get a on-one scandal with slotted drop outs from Unrealcycles, I think they are about $300 and are 3.5 lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'd caution you against spending a lot of money on a 26 in wheel frame. Go 29er, either with a whole new bike or a frameset and wheels. 26 inch hardtails are a dying breed for a reason. 29ers just work a whole lot better, especially with one gear- the extra momentum they carry gets you up hills and over obstacles much better.
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

I like stuff
    Get over the 2 lbs, if you love it keep riding it. If you have to, get another rig, but dont get rid of MC bcuz you will miss it

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have worked in a shop for awhile. I've owned A: surly 1x1, kona unit, raleigh xxix, gt peace 9r, niner sir9, surly karate monkey, specialized stumpy 29ss, redline monocog 26 umm ok that's it. The redline was my fav and I gots me a new 29er on the way!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Flight 26

My RL Monocog Flight 26 has seen a few reincarnations: SS, full 650b, but my favorite is 26" rear with a 650b front and 1x9 gearing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails monocog 26 vs Surly 1x1, Bianchi SS, etc-dsc03249.jpg  

monocog 26 vs Surly 1x1, Bianchi SS, etc-dsc03250.jpg  

monocog 26 vs Surly 1x1, Bianchi SS, etc-dsc03252.jpg