mtbr member

max. tire width on monocog flight

I just ordered a 2009 Redline Monocog Flight and my first change is to add some beefier tires.

Does anybody know what the max. tire width is for the '09 monocog flight?

I am planning on putting some conti. mountain king 2.4s and just wanted to make sure they would fit.

mtbr member
    K i'll just assume the monocog flight can accommodate the same tire widths as the 26 monocog which somebody already asked on this forum.

Another question which hopefully somebody can answer... Does the monocog flight come with an uncut steerer tube? Mine is being shipped to me in a box so assembly is required and wondering if cutting the steerer tube is part of it. Also, are the headset cups installed already?

offroader
    Dec 2008
    2.4 won't fit, I ran 2.35 panaracer rampage and they rubbed my chain stay. I was also running wide rims, Stans flows. Someone else was able to run the same tires with stans arch without rubbing, but the arch is a little narrower. I doubt you'll need to cut your steerer.

think
    Jul 2008
    My wife has 2.2 Nevegals on her Flight and they rub the chainstay slightly. The Mountain Kings are not a big 2.4 but I don't think they'll clear. 2.2 in the back would probably work for you.

mtbr member
    hmmmm interesting. 2.35 panaracer's don't fit with stan's flow rims and 2.2 nevegals don't fit.

Yeah mountain kings are pretty skinny. I run them on my nomad with stan's flow rims. I know when I switched to the flow rims they widen out a bit.

mountain kings have a knob width of 2.38". I've heard of 2.1" nevegals measuring 2.3" knob to knob. And I'm not too familiar with the rampage.

I already ordered them from my lbs so I'll let you know how it goes. I might have a back up front tire.

Disabled Vet
    I'm making an assumption here,assuming that the Flite has the same spacing as the non-Flite,which has the same spacing as the d440 I ride,that said...

I'm running WTB Exiwolf 2.3"ers with no problems (using WTB Speed Disc wheels-but I ran em on the stock Alex rims a few days before I got the WTB's in). A Conti Mtn King 2.4" should fit either as well...I know it says 2.4",but Conti tires run a little smaller than advertised,plus I've both seen em in person (on a Bud's Vassago),and know someone who runs em on the Monocog (non-Flite) with little-no probs. Hopethishelps

Myself,I have my heart set on some new WTB Dissent 2.5's come Spring...but I'm gunna hafta lose the RL if I want em,they won't fit,not even close
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker
    I'm making an assumption here,assuming that the Flite has the same spacing as the non-Flite,which has the same spacing as the d440 I ride,that said...
    Nope, I have the flight and non-flight. The non-flight is much wider..That's where I'm running the 2.35 Panaracer Rampage right now. The non-Flight could probably run the 2.55 no problems. Currently I have the 2.1 Kenda Small Block eights on the flight and I love them. They're about a perfect fit.

Disabled Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    Nope, I have the flight and non-flight. The non-flight is much wider..That's where I'm running the 2.35 Panaracer Rampage right now. The non-Flight could probably run the 2.55 no problems. Currently I have the 2.1 Kenda Small Block eights on the flight and I love them. They're about a perfect fit.

Kool! I did not know that,and food for thought as I plan the purchase of a new frame tax time (I had all but decided on a Karate' Monkey,in part due to tire clearance)...I wonder how much my LBS/RL dealer/Buddy seels the flite frames for (he quoted me already on both a Flite and non-Flite complete)...
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll