mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Looking for a Mono9/MC Flight

I've scoured the net for a few days now trying to find a Mono9 or MC Flight in a Large and haven't had any luck. From what I've gathered, Redline MTB's aren't sold in Southern Ontario so buying local is out of the question.

Any idea why Redline went from the higher-quality tubing of the Mono9 to the 4130 tubes on the D440? I'm hoping to find a used Mono9 or MC Flight and convert it to 1x9. That being said, does anyone have a lead on either a complete bike or frameset?

Thanks!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 17" Mono9 frame to sell, probably too small for you though if youare looking for a large..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah the medium would be too small, I used to have a 17" monocog flight and found it to be too small for my 6' height & 34" inseam...

Anyone out there selling a large/19" complete/frame?!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Have you tried any shops in the Detroit or Buffalo area depending on where you live?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm in Toronto so only 1.5hrs from Buffalo but I called a couple shops there and neither have any Redline 9ers in stock. I'm not having any luck finding any online Redline retailers. Right now just searching the crap out of CL/Kijiji/Ebay, hoping to come across something in my size, all I seem to find are mediums!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    I hear you. I have been looking for a used Flight 29er in a 19" for weeks. I have found both flights and d460's in 17", but don't know where all the 19"s are.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm trying to wrap my head around why Redline stopped selling the Mono 9, seems like it was a perfectly spec'd 1x9 with the Sanko tubing and tall. Now the only bike they're making with the higher-end steel is the MC Flight, but converting that to 1x9 means a new rear hub

I just found a shop in Indiana that has a couple 2010 19" MC Flights in stock, selling for $699 each..with shipping to the border that'll run me $800 all-in, which is what I was hoping to spend on a geared version but still not bad...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I love my flight!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the link, just emailed the seller. $780 is a bit much to ask considering I can get a brand new (with warranty) 2010 MC Flight for $800 tax-in. The only upgrade on that bike are the Juicy's...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Yea I would go for the new one also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hmm decisions decisions. Truth is I'd feel like an idiot paying $800 for a stock bike whose frame hasn't changed in 4 years when there are upgraded versions (albeit used) selling for $550-$600, just not currently any in my size. I'm expecting delivery of a new trailbike soon and this Flight would be my #2 so I might just hold off and see if I can find a used one over the winter.

You've got a great build on that Flight slayer, if I find the bike to be versatile enough to be my "one bike" I'll probably build something similar up, but right now full-squish allows me to ride everywhere and anywhere....
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Keep watching Craig's list, you'll find one. I sucked it up and bought a new one, done many upgrades but kept it rigid and single speed, my #2 cross country bike. My #1 is a 2x10 cannondale carbon flash 2, much different animal. Getting additional bikes past Financial (wife) is easier if they each serve a very different purpose
    2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 2
    2010 Redline Monocog Flight
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2011 Cannondale Jekyl Ultimate

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    woohoo found one! it's on its way...

http://www.505recyclery.com/2010/09/...peed-29er-500/

going to order up some decals and paint it (the raw steel would rust pretty quick up here). how are BB5s? I know they're not as nice as the BB7's but are they really crap? I've got Hayes Stroker Rydes on my DJ bike that I can swap out. stoked!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    spend the extra few bucks and get a set of bb7's. They are WAY better. My 07 Flight had bb5's on it until a few months ago... I found a good deal on a used set of bb7's and sold the bb5's. I can't believe I waited so long...

mtbr member
    Sweet! enjoy that flight. I took mine to Ray's last night and had a blast but think I need a DJ now. The flight just didn't have the fun factor a dedicated DJ would have. Time for me to get rid of the Voodoo canzo 29er frame

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah I brought my trailbike to Ray's the first time I ever went and quickly learned that a dedicated DJ bike or BMX pumps the fun-factor up bigtime. Last year a similar indoor bike park opened 10mins from my house (just north of Toronto) so now at least there's a bit more to look forward to when the snow starts falling...

I'll post some pics of my new MC once I get it painted proper, can't wait to get out on it
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    this thing RIPS!!! Couldn't be happier to join this club of very happy MC owners

ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Looks great! I take it you painted it as soon as you got it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks!

I didn't have much of a choice to paint it, the original owner had stripped it down b/c he didn't like the 2010 color scheme and left it at that but with the amount of snow we get here I couldn't just leave it naked. Two coats rust-inhibiting primer, two coats white and three coats clear - took a while so it better last! I was worried it'd take a while for the decals ot get shipped from Seattle Bike Supply but they arrived 2nd day.

I can't wait to get riding, maiden ride is tomorrow morning at a buff & flowy local trail that should be wicked fun on a rigid 9er...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    That is beautiful. I'm always a little disappointed with how my boring black MC 29er looks. And you got a great deal on it too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The black can be made to look pretty fly too, I know someone with a black Misfit Dissent and it's kitted out with a bunch of gold bits, looks awesome.

My MC came with some very hardpack-friendly tires but since I'll be riding it through the fall/winter/spring I'll need something with a bit more bite - any good tire suggestions for loose and/or snow/mud? Anyone running Panaracer Rampages with success?
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Damn, that looks great. You've inspired me to paint mine. Now to decide what color.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider
    The black can be made to look pretty fly too, I know someone with a black Misfit Dissent and it's kitted out with a bunch of gold bits, looks awesome.

My MC came with some very hardpack-friendly tires but since I'll be riding it through the fall/winter/spring I'll need something with a bit more bite - any good tire suggestions for loose and/or snow/mud? Anyone running Panaracer Rampages with success?
    Looks great in white with red decals!

Specialized Purgatory Control 2Bliss 19x2.2 front and Captain 2bliss 29x2.2 rear.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...