mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Looking to do a drop bar conversion

ive got a 2010 D600. i would love the ability to ride it long distance gravel types rides, with a bit of single track from time to time.

im thinking about a set of woodchipper bars. love the functionality of them. the problem i forsee is this. What bar end shifters work with the x5 derailluers? Or am i going to be better off swapping out front and rear derailluers and going to shimano drive train

has anyone done anything like this?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Looking to do a drop bar conversion

Quote Originally Posted by killarbb View Post
    ive got a 2010 D600. i would love the ability to ride it long distance gravel types rides, with a bit of single track from time to time.

im thinking about a set of woodchipper bars. love the functionality of them. the problem i forsee is this. What bar end shifters work with the x5 derailluers? Or am i going to be better off swapping out front and rear derailluers and going to shimano drive train

has anyone done anything like this?
    There are no SRAM 9-sp barend shifters. If you go with Shimano you will need to avoid mtb 10-sp rear derailleurs. The 9-sp Shimano RDs will work with 8-, 9-, or 10-sp Shimano shifters. barend shifters will likely be the lowest cost, but also look at Sora STI brake/shift levers. They can be less than some barends and brake levers.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    There are no SRAM 9-sp barend shifters. If you go with Shimano you will need to avoid mtb 10-sp rear derailleurs. The 9-sp Shimano RDs will work with 8-, 9-, or 10-sp Shimano shifters. barend shifters will likely be the lowest cost, but also look at Sora STI brake/shift levers. They can be less than some barends and brake levers.
    Here is an alternative to a standard brifter:
    [retroshift.com/store/products/cxv
    I haven't used it, but it looks interesting. The good part is that it is compatible with mtb disc brakes. The bad... not compatible with SRAM rear der. The front should be fine as it is non-indexed. The company should be able to answer compatibility issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    so i happened into a redline drop bar with sora brifters and a set of interupter brakes from a cross bike at the local bike coop..........add in a new derauiller, some cables replaced, a few other bits modified........

AND,

i have a drop bar d600...........gonna give abit more of an idea of how it is after a good longer gravel ride tomorrow.......i already am sure i need a shorter stem.....that will come

oh and pics coming tomorrow

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I ran drops on my Monocog for a few years. Your gonna need the shortest stem you can find and I hope you haven't cut the steerer short yet. I have used both the Origin 8 dirt drops and a Nitto Dirt drop bar and liked them both as long as the bike was rigid. The position didn't feel right to me with a suspension fork. I had a Shimano bar end shifter with a full length housing attached to a rear derailer so I could switch from SS to geared in a few minutes.

A warning though. When I got my Pugsley, I built it with the Origin 8 bars off the Monocog and they snapped on the first ride (they were a few years old at that point though). Luckily they broke going uphill not jumping water bars.