mtbr member

New question here. Let's talk about your Monocog to geared Setup

Greetings,

Was hoping some of you could share some pics or info about your experience turning your standard Monocog with horizontals to 1x9 or other geared setup. What was your setup, how'd you like it, and what did you spend? (I don't have much of a spare parts bin)

Flight converters feel free to share but I'd sure like to hear from somebody with the standard cog who used the chain tugs with the d-hanger like these here or something similar.

I have the '11 Cog and I like it so much I feel the need to tinker!

I like stuff
    Dont do it !

mtbr member
    I did it for an 8-day trip in Norway.

DMR chaintug with derailleur hanger (had to file it off a little to make it fit), bought from CRC.

XT rear derailleur
    Deore brifter
    SRAM 9-speed mtb cassette 11-32
    Shimano LX / Alex wheelset
    All from my parts bin.

34t Viavelo and 37t Azonic chainrings up front, no front derailleur (gear change by hand)

BOB Yak QR and BOB Yak trailer. (rental)

It worked just fine. for offroad use I would recommend a front derailleur or chainkeeper though.
    And for some climbs I'd have wished for a lower gear than 34/32.
    Ride more!

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I tried it with my Monocog using that DMR tug. OK for a while, but decided to go back to SS. But I understand that tinker bug. I had mine set up with two chain rings up front. When I wanted to "shift" into the lower ring, I just kicked the chain off the big ring. But to "shift up", I had to stop and manually move it to the upper ring. I ran 3 cogs in the back, thus making it a 6 speed. At that time I lived in a very hilly area, now I live in flatter terrain, thus a SS is just fine.

Apr 2007
    How about welding on a hanger (a la Karate Monkey).

mtbr member
    Wow thanks for all the responses!

@asphaultdude, thanks for sharing your full setup. Jealous of your 8 day hike. Gave me some good ideas and I'll be looking out for some cheap similar parts. Surprised to see that both you and bhc took on 2x9 setups. I didn't think that'd be the way to go, but let's face it, what do I know about having gears? (I didn't know what a 'brifter' was until now..)

@bhc Curious about the last part of your post. When you had the three cogs in the back did you change the rears by hand as or did you have a deraileur do the work? Or did you simply slap on three cogs with spacers onto the stock wheel?

@P nut I guess that's an option, but probably a little further than I want to go at this point. Plus id be worries about having somebody take to my frame with a welder. What if they mucked it up?

@BBXTC.. We'll see! Not totally sure I want to throw money at it yet but it's tempting to have the versatility option.

Why do you guys say you wouldn't feel good about this set up off road? Do you feel like the DMR tugs with hanger won't hold up through something rough?

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

chain tug

The DMR tug has the derailleur thread, so I used that. I did have a different rear wheel, not sure if the stock wheel accepts 3 cogs. Like I said, it worked fine, but really did not feel any need for gears where I am now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I converted my Monocog into a 3x8 with some old spare parts. It doesn't perform as well as a bike that's made for gears, but it's fine for less-than-serious riding.

I used Sunrace friction shifters, an N-Gear Jump Stop chain guide next to the granny gear, and an inexpensive derailler hanger, which I can't precisely identify. I thought it was a joke, but derailleurhanger.com actually exists and has hundreds of the things, so you can probably find one there.

I zip-tied cable casing practically all the way down to the rear derailler. Not the most elegant-looking solution, but it works!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about your Monocog to geared Setup-img_1976.jpeg  

Let's talk about your Monocog to geared Setup-img_1975.jpeg  

Let's talk about your Monocog to geared Setup-img_1974.jpeg  

Let's talk about your Monocog to geared Setup-img_1973.jpeg  

Let's talk about your Monocog to geared Setup-img_1972.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    @asphaultdude, thanks for sharing your full setup. Jealous of your 8 day hike.

Bike worked wonderfully during the trip, not even a flat tire.

Why do you guys say you wouldn't feel good about this set up off road? Do you feel like the DMR tugs with hanger won't hold up through something rough?
    I think the DMR tugs, hanger and rear derailleur will be fine offroad, bike you'll definitly need a front derailleur or chainguide to keep the chain from falling off the front ring.
    Ride more!