mtbr member
    Mar 2010

How much is this worth?

I am trying to sell a 5 week old 2010 monocog 29er SS. It has less than 8 miles and is literally in perfect out of the box condition. How much is this thing worth? I want to be fair when I sell it. I currently have it for $500 and I paid $583 with tax. I then added Or8 bar ends and a 18T cog. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I believe retail price is $499. It depends how soon you need to sell it and if you are willing to ship it. If you are only selling it locally, you have to figure out the market value and availability for your area.

If retailers in your area are selling them for $500 or above, then you can probably get somebody to pay about $400 to $450 depending on the bikes condition and upgrades.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The retailers in Florida from 9 listed and unlisted stores included the one I purchased it from has them going for $500 - $550. It is in literally new condition and maintained from shop with the only thing making it used is 8 road miles. I will continue to have it listed here in the MTBR classies and see what happens. I will take this advice on pricing. Thank you.
    Last edited by ccd1977; 05-07-2010 at 03:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    $550 is expensive. I could have sold you one for $400 + shipping. Anyway, good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cooljavy
    $550 is expensive. I could have sold you one for $400 + shipping. Anyway, good luck!
    That is what another poster said but when I called his bikeshop they had id for $100 more at $499. Besides, $550 is the going rate in Florida for some reason. That is what Redline is quoting when the LBS calls. So we will see.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    That is sick cheap but NIB means not assembled too, no LBS tuning etc. If price is what you want, then online bike shopping is big. Look at bikes direct. However, I am not a mechanic and do not have the tools to rebuild a bike and repack bearings for a NIB product. This is the cheapest bike shop in my area. $500 built up, assembled and comes with lifetime service. This is just what I prefer since I don't have $100;s in tools and years of mechanical expertise.

http://bikeworks.com/product/redline...er-62575-1.htm

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I got my plain old monocog for $350 off craigslist

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

redline

Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    I got my plain old monocog for $350 off craigslist
    what year and was it new?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You're not going to get your money back out of it. Why are you selling a like new bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
    You're not going to get your money back out of it. Why are you selling a like new bike?
    I Understand that . I paid $603.84 with minor additions out the door but am selling for $500 so I am not trying to get the money I paid for it and have the receipt.

I am selling because after 17years, I felt the mountain bike was the only thing to hold my weight @ 360lb. The LBS told me I needed a MTB as well. IT was a hasty buy and I should have gone with SS roadie like I wanted. SO I am just trying to sell it more than the 1/2 its worth since that is what LBS are offering me. I tried to return the bike. I tried trade it in but to no avail.

I appreciate your advice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If you want to use the bike for road riding, you can get a set of slick tires. The Big Apple ones are great for a 29er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Really? I dont know much about them. Will they roll like a road bike? If so, can I turn this monocog into a street bike somehow?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    yes, i have heard good things about the Big Apples, but there are plenty of alternatives. Take a look at these reviews:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...1_1564crx.aspx

feel free to PM if you have further questions.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Stock Monocog

Cost me a whopping $175 on CList in nearly new condition. I have since spend 800 on parts for it, ohhh it my baby.

Apr 2007
    I say it's worth $350-$400. That's if it stays local. If shipping is involved, that'll drive up the cost by $50-$75 (or whatever shipping is). You also have to factor in that the second owner doesn't get the lifetime frame warranty.