mtbr member
    Mar 2009

hmmmm..interesting

I'll be quick....
    I was on the verge of buying a monocog 29er today, i didnt do it yesterday cuz my dealer closes on sundays. That may be a good thing cuz Ive come across possible a new plan. A
    Surly 1x1 650b.
    How do you all think they compare? Framewise, i believe they should both be bullet proof, right?
    If im planning on running a 650 with some 2.5's or so, wouldnt that be almost comparable to a 29er with 2.1- 2.3's...ish, just id have more meat on my tires. Im planning a winter bike inspired by both a bmx and a pugsly. ha!
    The redlines chainstay clearance is an issue for me.
    Im just wondering if there's something I'm missing.
    The surly will cost me about a 125 bucks more.
    if you type in on flikr "surly 1x1 650b", these bikes r so killer!!

just wondering your opinion....

Disabled Vet
    Keeping in mind you're asking a predominently Surly question in the Redline forum,LOL,the Surly's are pretty nice frames for a decent price,I've yet to hear anybody truely disappointed with one. Donalson has/had both a d440 and a Karate Monkey and liked both,so he has more experience with the similarities/differences of both than I (Mark,chime in?).

IMHO,tho,while 650B definately intriques me,I'd personally just go with the Monocog 29er...for one,I'm WELL pleased with both my d440 and older Monocog (that I've owned for years),and no issues finding parts/tires/etc. I guess it would all depend on how easy 650B parts are to find in your neck of the woods. Hopethishelps
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll