mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Help deciding :( SS vs. Geared...

Okay so I really like the idea of riding a SS bike and I do live in souther florida so the only riding I will do primarily is almost no hills at all. And the only place to ride is Markham park, but the thing is, that when I used to ride my other SS bike on a "trail" out by the everglades the vibrations would be very annoying and hurt my arms. So that is the only worry I have with the SS is that for the monocog flight there is no suspension... Anyways this is the bike I am looking to get. It's got a good amount of upgrades.
    2012 REDLINE MONOCOG FLIGHT 29er 17" medium... mint condition! UPGRADES | eBay
    If someone could let me know or tell me if there is anything that bothers them about the monocog it would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Hurt your arms how? Yeah, I guess it can be hard on your body. On my Monocog 29er I run a big front tire and a seat shock. My arms and balls are happy after 1300 miles or so. Anyway, I don't know why we love the monocog but we do. So if it is too rough on you, you have options. Get a front fork shock, seat shock, or bigger tires or all three.
    Specialized Enduro Expert 09
    Redline Monocog 29er 09
    Trek 6700 05

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm saying for rigid with no suspension on the front fork. Like vibrations and such.

mtbr member
    Not sure what type of bikes you have experience with but it might be said that the steel of the monocog is a bit more forgiving than aluminum. But then again if the south fl trails are full of lots roots like some here in Tampa, yeah the you're gonna feel it in your hands. Not sure exactly what you mean by vibrating.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    Not sure what type of bikes you have experience with but it might be said that the steel of the monocog is a bit more forgiving than aluminum. But then again if the south fl trails are full of lots roots like some here in Tampa, yeah the you're gonna feel it in your hands. Not sure exactly what you mean by vibrating.
    Well then I guess it shouldn't really matter

mtbr member
    I've been riding a Monocog for about five years now. You certainly need to reevaluate your riding style when going to a rigid for the first time (no death grip, pick better lines, keep body loose, etc). A higher volume tire and carbon bar helps take the edge off. If it doesn't work out you can always find a nice used air/oil fork in the $200-400 range.

As far as the ss vs geared thing goes...the good thing about that frame is you can easily put a rear der on it if you don't like ss. Not sure if the drive side slider on that has the hanger these days. If not you can source one from a RL dealer or you can swap in Paragon sliders with the hanger.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The bike I was going to purchase sold. Should I just go for the 2013 monocog?

mtbr member
    Regular 2013 Monocog or a 2013 Monocog Flight? Regular Monocog has standard track style horizontal dropouts, not sliders like the Flight. You can add a rear der to the standard Monocog frame but the install won't be quite as elegant since you'll have to get a hanger that is secured via the rear axle/QR and there are no provisions for running the cable. Not a big deal imo, but keep that in mind if you think you may not like the ss.

Before you make the decision on a ss you may want to try forcing yourself to use one gear instead of shifting for a few rides.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What gear would the monocog be on a normal 21 speed bike? And I'm not really worried about the gears since it's so flat here in florida. The bike I was going to purchase sold on ebay last night, so I'm just a bit upset :/

mtbr member
    That sucks...it looked like a pretty good deal too.

What bike are you riding now? Does it have a 3x9 drivetrain?

When I purchased my Monocog it came with 32x20 gearing. I ran that at first because I was a pretty weak rider at the time and, honestly, I was too lazy/cheap to change it out. That gearing really is useless for FL unless you just want to poke around. Currently I have it setup with 32x17 which I feel is a great all around combo for anything the local trails can throw at me (Santos, Croom, Boyette, etc).

I don't know what sort of rider you are or how the trails are at Markham, but if you go with the new Monocog just stick with whatever gearing it comes with for a while. You have to go out expecting not to make every climb or section where you would normally switch to an easier gear. It takes a bit to earn your ss legs and learn the importance of momentum.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I honestly don't know. I went to my LBS and tried the Specialized Hard Rock Sport 29er. I enjoyed it and it costs $679.99 and comes with a 1 year guarantee on the wheels and replaces the tubes as many times as needed and 3 free tune ups worth $60 each. It rides nice, but I haven't seen it on the trail. It's a 3x8 drivetrain. But yeah that is one of my choices.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

If you get the Monocog....

First thing is to reduce tire air pressure to about 23-25 psi in front, 26-28 psi in the rear. You'll have to be mindful of pinch flats, but if you ride smoothly and pay attention you can avoid them. Then replace the grips with large, squishy types like Oury or Odi, preferably the glue on type because they have more rubber for cushioning.

As soon as you can get a big, kevlar bead front tire like a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 or a WTB Weirwolf LT in 2.55 size.

I'd recommend carbon bars before a suspension fork. I use Easton EC-70s on mine with good success. They really dampen the vibration and my hands don't feel as numb after a ride. They'll also lighten the bike whereas a suspension fork will make it even heavier.

I'd reccommend keeping the stock cheap cushy seat rather than switching to a lighter, but less cushy one.

As others have said the best way to improve comfort is to modify your riding style. Stay loose, and pick smooth lines.
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

mtbr member
    I haven't really thought much about it until now. Doesn't the flex of the carbon bars affect you on the steaper climbs as you push and pull on the bars?
    Specialized Enduro Expert 09
    Redline Monocog 29er 09
    Trek 6700 05

mtbr member
    No. The carbon bar only slightly dampens the trail chatter.

Kbman...if you have a 3x8 I would assume your middle ring is a 32t. Throw the front in the middle and pick a rear cog in the 20-17 range. Try riding on any one of those cogs without shifting to see how you like it.
    Signature

mtbr member
    FYI...those Alex DH19 rims that come on the Monocog are easy and cheap to setup tubeless. I wouldn't use the Kenda Nevegals that come on that bike though. Apparently Kenda tires don't get along with sealant. Here is a thread:

Alex DH19 + Bontrager strips = possible success

The tubeless conversion was a success. Bead was super tight and never had any burping issues. Ran it setup like this for a while with no issues.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I decided on going with the Airborne Guardian. Once I get more into mountain biking and such I will definitely go with a Monocog. It seemed the better choice for me personally and might have been challenging, but I FOR SURE want to get one when I have the money. Thanks for the help everyone!