mtbr member
    May 2010

Headset replacement

What would be a good upgrade on a 2010 Monocog 29'er as far as headsets go ? I know they come stock with a budget Cane Creek. I am thinking maybe a King or Cane Creek S3 or Ritchey pro. What have you guys found to be "bomb-proof" ?

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I never had a problem with my cane creek s-2. I imagine the s-3's are the same or better.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think i will just throw in a Chris King and be done with it. Exspensive....yes but I will buy once and cry once. I like having the best.

mtbr member
    May 2009

King Headset

I have to say that I love the king headset I have on my MC niner. Well worth the moola.

Enjoy the Ride!
    Cane Creek S-3 -- inexpensive, high quality, works great, no problems in the 2 years I've been riding one on my D440
    08 Redline D440 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Cane Creek S3

I upgraded to a Cane Creek S3 on my 2008 monocog 29er. Works great and was inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Same with the S3, $25 delivered off ebay. $5 homemade headset press from Home Depot. Works great. Say this to yourself when considering putting a King on a 'Cog..."I will buy a bearing that costs 1/4 the cost of the entire bike..."
    "
    Last edited by TiGeo; 06-07-2010 at 06:28 PM.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Another satisfied S3 user here. Night and day difference over the POS that came on the Monocog.
    Signature

Apr 2007
    Also a vote for S3. Heard good things about FSA Orbit, too. King is nice (have one on my AM bike), but not worth the $$, unless you really need bling street cred points.

WNC Native
    Cane Creek over CK any day when it comes to headsets (especially on a rigid bike).

S8 is a very nice headset, if you need more bling go with the 100 or 110.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I put on a Token headset. I really like it so far, easy to adjust and real smooth. Liked it so much I bought a second one for a diferent project. Got them off of eBay for under $30 shipped and come in some different colors.
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Put the S3 on mine about 2 weeks ago and liking it very much
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    I just got a 06 monocog and the headset is definitely worn out. I was thinking a FSA Pig because their are inexpensive and heavy duty, but they are also really heavy. You guys with S3's, are you running them on rigid setups or with a suspension fork?
    Contact us with your video production needs.
    mike@arkfilms.com

mtbr member
    08 monocog, replaced the factory cane creek with a fsa pig, beefy, bearings....
    29er go big or go home.

Apr 2007
    Bajamike - Zero problems running rigid or suspension fork for the last three years with S3.

mtbr member
    Well I ended up getting a FSA Orbit MX. I ordered a bunch of stuff from blueskycycling.com and they did not have the S2 or S3. They do have the pig, but I don't think I need something that beefy. I am just trail riding and don't plan on doing much jumping. I've actually been running the orbit mx on my Jamis Dakar for a short period of time and haven't had any problems. It's well built and seems solid. Hopefully it holds up my rigid Monocog.
    Contact us with your video production needs.
    mike@arkfilms.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    In my experiences rigid frames are very tough on headsets. Full suspension has become the norm so headset manufactures have become lazy and even some good ones aren't that good when you put them on a rigid frame.
    2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 2
    2010 Redline Monocog Flight
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2011 Cannondale Jekyl Ultimate