mtbr member
    Nov 2009

free hub for 09 cog

i am looking for a freehub that will work with my 09 monocog. redline does not make one with sealed bearings and i would like to upgrade without changing the rear hub. any help would be nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Sort of same boat

I'm dealing with a wobble in my redline rear hub. I'm trying to pull that hub apart and rebuild in hopes of correcting the wobble. I thought that it was a sealed hub?

If it's not a sealed hub, it gives me hope of rebuilding without re-spoking too. Do you know how to pull a redline rear hub apart?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had to order a new free hub from SBS/ Seattel Bike Supply(they are a redline company), it was a $20 part thru the LBS. The free hub bolts to the rear hub via a bolt that the axle passes thru. This bolt is lossen / tighten with a allen wrench. I could not get the free hub as a sealed unit. The wheel bearings were sealed and I reused them, one sets on the left side of the rear hub, the other sets on the right of the free hub as you sit on the bike. Once I got in to it this was not a hard repair. It took me about 1 hour once I had the parts. The allen wrench for the free hub came with the replacement part. I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks. I think I need to pry out the rubber seal, but I don't want to damage it. Its like the ring seal that sits flush on either side of the hub. Does this sound like your hub?

BTW, I have a monocog flight with single speed small freehub.. Hopefully I can correct the wobble thru rebuilding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have the regular monocog, the only difference i see is that the axle is hollow to allow the skewer to pass thru. If this is the case the rubber seals below the cone shaped nuts are easy to remove. The sealed bearings you should take out as a unit, this done by tapping out the axle. This lets the stop on the axle inside the hub push the bearing assembly out as one piece. once the hub is completely disassembed your will have, the skewer, the 2 rubber seals, the axle, a cone nut from the left side of the hub, a nut from the right side of the hub (this does the same thing as the cone nut but allows clearance for the free hub to spin, two wheel bearing assemblys, a free hub, and a rear hub. Other than the rear sprocket and the lock ring for it thats it. From my experence all these parts are replaceable and can be ordered from SBS. please forgive the misspells

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks!

Believe it or not, after reading your post I called SBS and talked to a tech about the hub. He was a total a-hole and wouldn't give me any info. He just told me to go to my lbs like 3 times! I asked him about the seals and he said as far as giving me info on hub disassembly, that he couldn't give me any info and suggested I have my lbs take a look.
    He also asked "Where did you get this bike?" But when I told him I bought it used I felt like the whole vibe went cold. I actually felt like he was accusing me of stealing it!
    I told him some dude was helping me in a forum and that you had bought a replacement freehub from them! Whatever. If I call back tomorrow I might get a helpful person, who knows.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    best of luck

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    These are the seals on the mc flight hub. Can't figure out how to remove them without damage?
    Does this look familiar?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails free hub for 09 cog-photo.jpg  

free hub for 09 cog-photo-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Got the seals out!

Pulled it apart and put it back together. I only had a 10mm wrench, which wasn't big enough, so I didn't get the freehub out. Still the exact same wobble. Since the cog wobbles too I'm thinking it's the freehub or hub in general. Maybe I'll try to take it out any rebuild again.

Really, it's such a simple setup that it's hard to figure out the real cause. I think I'll just move on and respoke with something else.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The allen wrench you need, did come with my free hub. Have you checked the rim. Are the sealed bearings good. On the rear hub assembly I appears that the rear hub would be the last thing to go. IHO

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    How did you get the seals out?
    I am interested in replacing the SS freehub with a multi speed one in my Flight. Do you think this is possible?

From this link:
    http://www.seattlebikesupply.com/cat...s/parts?page=4

This is the standard SS hub:
    REDLINEŽ Redline Cassette Freehub Body For Mono Cog SB Hubs
    144165 - 10mm

And this is the multi speed one:
    REDLINEŽ Redline 8/9SP Cassette Freehub Body For SB Hubs
    143273 - 10mm

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i removed the seals by knocking the axle out of the hub the seals came right out with the sealed bearings.
    i think that the free hub exchange will work both are 10mm and fit the same hub the spacing on the single speed is set up so that the rear sproket when tighten down with the lock ring alines with the front sproket. BYW this is a joytech hub made by them for SBS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by todd buckingham
    i removed the seals by knocking the axle out of the hub the seals came right out with the sealed bearings.
    i think that the free hub exchange will work both are 10mm and fit the same hub the spacing on the single speed is set up so that the rear sproket when tighten down with the lock ring alines with the front sproket. BYW this is a joytech hub made by them for SBS.
    Thanks Todd.

I guess there is only one way to find out for sure. I will order a freehub and give it a try.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Let me know how it goes. How are you hanging the RD. The free hub should only cost 20 dollars. Good luck