mtbr member
    Aug 2014

First mountain bike and new to forum.

I purchased a 2014 Redline Monocog a couple weeks ago. I have put about 40 miles on it so for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First mountain bike and new to forum.-redline.jpg  

First mountain bike and new to forum.-redline-2-.jpg  

First mountain bike and new to forum.-redline-3-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have a couple of questions for some of you that ride the monocog. 1st how hard and exspensive would it be to upgrade my brakes? Also my hands get numb after a couple miles into my ride. What would be a good handgrip? Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Keep on Rockin...

Nice looking bike

Numb hands....

Raise your bars if possible (looks like you may be "spaced out" though). Tilt the nose of your saddle up just a bit. Shorten your stem (buy a cheap short, riser stem) works well for riding rigid by unweighting front. If you get a shorter stem push your seat back a bit.

Oury grips - no questsion.

Brakes - what are you runninng?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First mountain bike and new to forum.-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yes,I have been tilting seat up and down, forward and back. I was getting some pretty good butt pain. I got that resolved. These handgrips are very hard, they have no cushion at all. As for as the brakes go, I don't know what they are, other than just mechanical disc. They are the factory brakes. I rode a Specialized Crave the other day. It had hydrolic disc, they were very nice and would stop you on a dime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Shimano Deore m615s are good value. Same pads and almost the same power as XT/SLX.
    Shimano Deore M615 Brake Lvrs + Post Mount Calipers (set), Brakes, BRAKES MTB
    This is a little complicated, but that's how you get the best price.
    Change the currency and destination at the top of the page. $95.05
    They are moto style-- left rear. Call and Jenson will price match and send you the US orientation.
    You can use your existing rotors.
    Ergon GS1 grips can be rotated to move your weight to the back part of your palms to get rid of numbness.
    Last edited by eb1888; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:48 AM.

Justa Dude
    I still get numbness occasionally. Mine is due to gripping the bars too hard during the rougher sections. I could be as simple as that for you as well. Try and conciously check your grip occasionally and see if this could possibly be the case. Just starting out on an unfamiliar bike and terrain could be causing an overcompensation in your grasp.
    BUT! If you feel that grips are the issue....
    I haven't tried the Ergons. My riding buddys like them once they found the perfect angle of installation. They might be the ticket for you.
    I prefer ODI Rogue. They feel sooooo good!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for all the advise. I did look at some Ergons today at the bike shop. I think I am going to give them a try. The more I ride the better things feel. I am proud I went with the Monocog. The crew at the bike shop told me, that I would like it even more by going tubeless. But that = $$$$$.