Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31

    Disc not lining up

    I have a 2006 Redline Monocog with 26 inch wheels. I tried to install discs on it and the 6 bolt pattern holes do not line up. Am I missing an adapter or are there different size hole patterns for disc

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    206
    You're saying the discs won't mount to the hubs? I've never heard that. What kind of discs?
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31
    Yes, I tried different disc lying around at your CO-OP, none of the holes on the disc line up with the 6 bolt pattern on the hub.

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,994

    Disc not lining up

    Quote Originally Posted by Elad63 View Post
    Yes, I tried different disc lying around at your CO-OP, none of the holes on the disc line up with the 6 bolt pattern on the hub.
    Very odd. All 6-bolt disc hubs were IS by then. I had the 29" version (same parts spec) and the rotors bolted right on.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31
    The rims are Alexrims DH19 559x18 6061. They have RL on hub, so they must be shock.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    206
    By how much are they misaligned? A lot or a little? Could be a manufacturing defect. They're cheapo hubs. I put discs on mine and another problem is that the surface the disc mounts onto is poorly machined and not perfectly flat. This results in the discs not being perfectly true and rubbing on the calipers. They're cheap crap hubs. If you've got the scratch buy new wheels.
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31
    holes are way off, can not even get two holes to line up. scratched idea for disc going to canti's or v'brakes

  8. #8
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,994

    Disc not lining up

    Quote Originally Posted by Elad63 View Post
    holes are way off, can not even get two holes to line up. scratched idea for disc going to canti's or v'brakes
    Pics please. Something is goofy.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31
    Here are the pics, as you can see the disc center one is way bigger then the disc hub. I have the 26 inch version if that means anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disc not lining up-image.jpg  

    Disc not lining up-image.jpg  


  10. #10
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,994

    Disc not lining up

    Quote Originally Posted by Elad63 View Post
    Here are the pics, as you can see the disc center one is way bigger then the disc hub. I have the 26 inch version if that means anything.
    Have you tried a different rotor?

    Measure the distance between adjacent holes. It should be ~22mm.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31
    ok, thx. I have other discs over at the CO OP. What I intend to do is put discs only on the front and a tomicog on back for fixed, I had a 16t cog and layed the disc down as a pattern, but after it was drilled it didn"t line up. Do you think it's the hub or the disc thats messed up. I tried taking the front off, and it's the same misalignment. Later this evening I am going to line up the rear hub and mark it on a cog as a pattern for drilling holes to make a DIY tomicog.

  12. #12
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,994

    Disc not lining up

    Quote Originally Posted by Elad63 View Post
    ok, thx. I have other discs over at the CO OP. What I intend to do is put discs only on the front and a tomicog on back for fixed, I had a 16t cog and layed the disc down as a pattern, but after it was drilled it didn"t line up. Do you think it's the hub or the disc thats messed up. I tried taking the front off, and it's the same misalignment. Later this evening I am going to line up the rear hub and mark it on a cog as a pattern for drilling holes to make a DIY tomicog.
    Measure!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31
    I have no way to measure mm. Will have to go to store and get a metric tape measurer.

  14. #14
    What could go wrong ...
    Reputation: Zoke2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Elad63 View Post
    I have no way to measure mm. Will have to go to store and get a metric tape measurer.
    this might help

    MM=Inches
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

    While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31
    Latest pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disc not lining up-image.jpg  

    Disc not lining up-image.jpg  

    Disc not lining up-image.jpg  


  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31
    I held the rotor to the hub and tried to line up to sight. Looking at the holes of the rotor they look like they are a little higher above the hub holes. meaning if I drilled the rotor holes on the bottom of the hole pattern they like they would line up.

  17. #17
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,994

    Disc not lining up

    Quote Originally Posted by Elad63 View Post
    I held the rotor to the hub and tried to line up to sight. Looking at the holes of the rotor they look like they are a little higher above the hub holes. meaning if I drilled the rotor holes on the bottom of the hole pattern they like they would line up.
    The best I can tell from your awful pics and the refusal to read the tape yourself, the hub is proper IS spec.

    So, Try A Different Rotor!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31
    Sorry for crappy pics. Will try different rotors tomorrow, good excuse to go to CO OP

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31
    shiggy was right, it was the rotor. I picked up a few rotors and they all lined up perfectly.

Similar Threads

  1. Waterproof Cast Lining - Experience?
    By Zoomy29er in forum Rider Down, injuries and recovery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-08-2012, 05:18 AM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-21-2011, 06:45 PM
  3. Giro Remedy Lining keeps coming off
    By homer99 in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 05:21 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 11:55 AM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 07:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •