mtbr member

d440 disc brakes

Is there any limitation to the rotor size I can use on the front of my d440? Using the rigid fork now and will at some point upgrade to a suspension fork.

And I guess the same could be said for the rear, any limitations?

Disabled Vet
    IDK about a limit,but I've had 185mm on mine for a while with both stock and Vassago rigid forks,and I have a Rockshox Recon Air Solo 1 100mm squishy on order for it now. Hopethishelps
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm thinking of getting one of these bikes and I had the same question. I am thinking BB7's. I saw most places don't include cables and levers with the brakes but could I just use the stock levers and get new cables?

Disabled Vet
    You can use the stock levers AND cables,assuming they're in good condition (not already worn and in need of replacement)...that's one of the beauties of mechanical discs,they're perfectly fine with stock cables if you're on a budget. I ran my d440's stock cables with bb5's until it was time to replace them from normal wear n tear,then just upgraded a bit.

And FWIW,for the money,I highly recommend the d440. She ain't the lightest (the cockpit,ie:bars/stem/seat/post parts particularly are heavy),but she's built like a tank,rides pretty good (steel is real ),decnt and very upgradable components. Love to see pics if you get one
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker
    You can use the stock levers AND cables,assuming they're in good condition (not already worn and in need of replacement)...that's one of the beauties of mechanical discs,they're perfectly fine with stock cables if you're on a budget. I ran my d440's stock cables with bb5's until it was time to replace them from normal wear n tear,then just upgraded a bit.

And FWIW,for the money,I highly recommend the d440. She ain't the lightest (the cockpit,ie:bars/stem/seat/post parts particularly are heavy),but she's built like a tank,rides pretty good (steel is real ),decnt and very upgradable components. Love to see pics if you get one
    The levers and cables would be brand new so I would hope they are in good shape when I'd get it I was just thinking since the stock brakes are V-brakes and sit up at the rim that the cables wouldn't be long enough to reach where the discs are mounted.

This would be my second bike to my Giant Trance X3. I'd look to upgrade things as I found decent deals on things.

Disabled Vet
    Hmmm...well,mine reached just fine,but that was on my bike. I'd check to see if they'll reach before I sprung the $ for new cables you might not need,I got lucky,you might too

On upgrading when deals are found,that's what I did too
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What size is your bike? I'd need a 19. I'm wondering if the cables would work. That would be sweet if they did so I'd save some $$. Thanks for the info.

Hey OP...sorry to hijack your thread a little bit. I've been meaning to ask the question about rotor size for the 440 and never got around to it until I saw your post.

Disabled Vet
    Mins a 17" if that helps
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

Apr 2007
    Cables would most likely be too short. But they're $2 each, so no biggie. Housing will be a little more.

I've got 185 front and 160 rear. Works great.

Disabled Vet
    Yep,185 front and 160 rear,that's what I run too (though I have had both-not at the same time,duh 140mm and a 185 in the rear too)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I found the 160mm on sale. Would that suffice for the front and rear or would you reccommend going to 185 for the front?

Apr 2007
    160 is still fine. I got mine from JensonUSA. 185 and 160 were both the same price (~$50/each).

mtbr member
    Cool, so I could run 185/185 if I wanted to. I'm a big guy so, I think it's a good choice, and since they are all the same price at Jenson..

Apr 2007
    You should even consider 205's in the front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    You should even consider 205's in the front.
    And they would fit properly? I'm pretty big as well. 6'2" and about 210 or so and I wouldn't mind more stopping power. Better to have more than less

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    While I've got your attention I have another question. I'd like to run a rear cassette from 12-36 which is a 9 speed. Is the stock derailure and shifter compatible with that or do I need to buy both or just a derailure or what? I'd like to use as much stock stuff as possible off the bat and not have to upgrade all right away.

Apr 2007
    A friend of mine weighs 200 and runs 160 f/r, so 185 will still be fine. I should have clarified--when you guys said you're big, I was thinking 250lb +.

Regarding the cassette, you should be ok with all the stock stuff. Unless the rear dérailleur is a short cage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    A friend of mine weighs 200 and runs 160 f/r, so 185 will still be fine. I should have clarified--when you guys said you're big, I was thinking 250lb +.

Regarding the cassette, you should be ok with all the stock stuff. Unless the rear dérailleur is a short cage.
    So the stock shifter and rear derailure on the 2011 model are 9 speed compatible even though the stock setup is as an 8 speed?

Disabled Vet
    IDK aboutth der.,it migh could be adjusted for 9 speed use,but if the '11 has an 8 speed setup,yeah,you'll need a 9 speed shifter. I'm running a 2x9 on mine,all Sram X9 (Simano SLX front double der.) stuffs,and I'm running...gasp...twist shifters. Why? They were cheaper,and about half the weight of thumbies/triggers,and I've neither ever had an issue,nor regretted the move.

Bought most all of it on sale between Pricepoint and Jenson a few years ago,deals can be had. You'll also need a 9 speed chain. If you really want a 9 speed setup,and are on a strict budget,you could always buy it as you have a little to blow,set it aside until you have it all,nothing what-so-ever wrong with that,my friend,and you wouldn't be the lone ranger (as MANY of us has to do that from time to time)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    any idea on the weight? Just curious....I wouldn't want to be lugging around something heavier than my full susp. 26" bike

Apr 2007
    Oops. Sorry, forgot you had 8 SP set up. Yeah, what LHT said. You may be able to get used parts for a whole lot cheaper. Look on CL and classifieds here.

Disabled Vet
    I actually have NO idea on weight...I wish I had a scale. Mine "feels" pretty heavy hefting it into the truck or repair stand (and I just added a 4 lb fork... ),but having had them off the bike,I know for a fact,the cockpit,whees and tires (mine came with wire bead Nanoraptors,then I added heavy Exiwolf's,and have heavy CST Cabalerros-wire beads-ordered,LOL!),but she don't pedal,or climb heavy...if that helps
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll