mtbr member

Carbon fork on a MC 29er?

Anyone have any thoughts on running a carbon fork on their Cog? Does it change the ride characteristic that much? I'm toying with the idea of buying an On-One Superlight fork, but looking for feedback before I commit to anything. I'm running Nevegals front and rear. Would a larger tire (2.5) up front be a better and cheaper option? I love the rigid ride, just looking to tweak it and dial it in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I put an on one carbon fork on my 2010 monocog - It hasn't made a huge difference in handling - probably steers slightly quicker, but it's hard to tell as I changed the stem length at the same time. Ride seems to be better though and it has shaved some weight of the bike. Also added extra bling which is nice! I got the fork off ebay for cheap, I'm not sure I would pony up the full amount for it given the slight benefits. If I had to choose what to replace first, I would throw money at the tyres and wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon fork on a MC 29er?-img_3728.jpg  

habitual line-stepper
    nice monocog! what is the A-C of that fork? iirc, the stock fork A-C is longer than most aftermarket options. the shorter A-C would steepen the front end.
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think the A-C measurement is 470 - pretty sure it is the same as the original fork. The offset is 47mm which is 10mm more than the original fork, but the wheelbase measurement (as specified in the redline geometry specs) has not changed - I am not sure what is going on here, but presume that it has something to do with where the rear wheel is placed in the track end.

I was looking to increase the speed of the handling with this fork, and have read on MTBR that a larger offset would make the difference - it didn't.

A mate of mine has a KHS which rides like a big BMX, but the fork has made no noticeable difference. I replaced the original 90mm stem with a 75, but this didn't help either. Tonight I put a 50mm stem on and it was real twitchy, so I am now looking for a 60 or 65mm stem. I reckon that should be just about right.

habitual line-stepper
    i had to dig through my email inbox, but i asked someone at redline/seattle bike supply and they said the stock A-C is 484 mm i've got a 19" with a 90 mm stem and 710 mm handlebars, and it works great for my type of riding. your monocog looks great, good luck dialing it in!
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.