mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Can you add gears to the 2010 Monocog?

Hello Redline Fans!

I'm looking to get back into biking after some time off and I really like the monocog 29er. I really like the monocog's geometry with the shorter chainstays and longer top tube, but I want to run gears like the d440. Can the 2010 monocog's frame somehow hang a rear derailleur?

Thanks for your help.
    Manjo

mtbr member
    Yes you can run gears. You'll just have to order a "geared" right hand side sliding derailleur hangar.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    Yes you can run gears. You'll just have to order a "geared" right hand side sliding derailleur hangar.
    I think he means the non flight. You can run gears but you'll have to do some "customization"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    At some point I'm planning on making mine a 1x5 or 6. There's lots of threads describing how to on here, do a search.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I am not talking about the Flight. My LBS said it can't be done, but when I looked at the pictures in the "Show your Redline" post, I see a lot of regular Monocogs with gears. Maybe it's not that easy in the 2010 line and I should just consider the D440.

Manjo

Disabled Vet
    You'll save yerself lots of "customization" (read:mods,fab work,jeyy-rigging,etc) and headaches if you just buy the d440. Price is amazingly close. Never regretted buying mine

'96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Did the D440 really go from a 445 mm chainstay to a 455 mm in 2010? Could this be a typo? I wonder why they made this change.

Disabled Vet
    I hadn't even seen that (haven't looked too closely at the 2010's geo since I have an '08). Weird. Seems to me that a 10mm difference wouldn't be much though. Might be noticable,might not,depends on the rider.
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Guy in our club has a like new base model Monocog for sale in my size...however, like someone posted above..I will probably want to add a few gears. Can it in fact be done without cutting or drilling the frame for a derailleur mount? Suggestions MUCH appreciated on conversion...love the geometry of the bike, but just know I will want more gear options.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have done it. You need something like this

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=20611

Use that in place of the drive side tensioner. Add derailleur, shifter, and ziptie full length cables. If you want more than 3 cogs, you will need a different wheel.

Details of what I did.

2006 Monocog - geared conversion?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    bhc...hey, thank you very much! What a cool way to get a few more gears. Explain what you mean by "if you want more than 3 cogs, you will need a different wheel"? Assuming that is all the current width allows with the Monocog wheel?

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jimx200
    bhc...hey, thank you very much! What a cool way to get a few more gears. Explain what you mean by "if you want more than 3 cogs, you will need a different wheel"? Assuming that is all the current width allows with the Monocog wheel?
    I am assuming you could get 3 cogs on the stock wheel. I don't have the stock wheel, but still a SS hub. I put on two SS cogs, but they are wider than regular cogs from a cassette. Maybe you could fit 3 cogs off a nine speed cassette. So if you want more, a regular wheel that could fit a full cassette would be needed. If you noticed, I didn't bother with a front derailleur, just use the "kick the chain down" method. Of course if you need to shift up, you have to stop.

If I plan on riding with the need for more gears, I have a geared hardtail, and for serious pain I have a SS. So this is just an odd bike for some fun exploring in the hills, built up like a tank.

mtbr member

found something that may help

Misfit Psycles had this hanger for their bikes, here is the link
    http://www.psyclestore.com/products/...ur-Hanger.html