Thread: Brakes

Rider
    Oct 2009

Brakes

I just picked up a new 2007 Monocog from my lbs. I took it out for an hour ride on my local trails. Bikes rides good though as it's been years since I rode a bike without front suspension, I can tell it's going to take a little getting used to.

My question concerns the caliper brakes, especially the rear brake. It squeals loudly when applied. Do any riders know how I may remedy this? Will it correct itself over time (wear in)?

Thanks
    Last edited by toolbag; 11-19-2009 at 04:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Toe-in

Koolstop Salmon brake pads might help, too.

Good luck!
    Ride more!

Rider
    Oct 2009
    Thanks.

I'm thinking of going to disc brakes. Initially, I was excited about the vbrakes but don't like the way they handle when the conditions are damp.
    Last edited by toolbag; 11-19-2009 at 04:16 PM.

habitual line-stepper
    Quote Originally Posted by toolbag
    Thanks, brother.

I'm thinking of going to disc brakes. Initially, I was excited about the vbrakes but don't like the way they handle when the conditions are damp and the conditions are always damp in the mornings.
    i wouldn't say i was excited to get v's, but it certainly wasn't a deal-breaker. my rear howls almost every time, especially under hard braking. the lack of power when wet is more of an issue for me. i've heard trying the salmon pads from kool-stop, but i'm going with bb5's and sd-7 levers instead. with winter rolling in here in the pnw, i need a more reliable set-up when its wet and soggy out (like the next 6 months). good luck!
    Last edited by kanai; 11-13-2009 at 09:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Rider
    Oct 2009
    I like the idea of simplicity and the slight weight savings. I've used disc brakes for so long that I forgot about the issues with vbrakes. Though, if not for dampness, vbrakes would be just fine.
    Last edited by toolbag; 11-19-2009 at 04:16 PM.

mtbr member
    I was all set to try out the 29/SS/steel triple niche bike. But I had to have disc brakes. I also ride in the PNW and more than suspension, the disc brakes are a bigger breakthrough in mountain bike technology around here.

I recently went on a ride with my Cannondale Rush and was frustrated with the ghost shifting going on in the rear derailuer. Needless to say this week's ride (wet and sloppy) will be on the 'Cog.

BTW, I had issues with the BB5s on my Flight. But I spent some time adjusting them properly (they were not set up right from factory/LBS) and now I have quiet, good modulating, powerful brakes.

Hey, cable discs are still in line with the simplistic elegance in my book.
    Just get out and ride!