mtbr member
    Jan 2007

bottom bracket for moncog?

im looking to build up a 2008 monocog frame and already have a shimano LX crankset with outboard bearings....

i know the size is a 68 but that it uses ISIS brackets.....

does the monocog have threads to put a shimano crankset in it?

sorry about the dumb question.... i dont have the frame yet or i would just look at it....

thanks

mtbr member
    Yes, you can use an outward bearing Shimano set-up with your Monocog. 68 mm, as you said.
    mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    The threading is the same as almost every other MTB out there (except for really old ones or one with the new BB30). I ran a Stylo 1.1 on my MC29er, and currently run a Stylo 3.3 on my D440. You will be amazed at how much stiffer a better bottom bracket/crankset will feel. Nearly any modern BB will work for either 68 or 73 mm, the only difference is a spacer.

Just for the record, too, the stock BB on Monocogs is a square taper, not an ISIS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

you sound like you would know....

thanks for the respose.... but would you happen to know if the chainline would get jacked up by adding one of these said external bottom brackets???

im reseaching it now and my bike should be here tomorrow and i can fiddle with it than... just wanted to be prepared in case i have to purchase a spacer or 2 for the rear cog...

thanks