mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Best upgrades to your Monocog.

Upgrading Monocogs is common, and I'm wondering what people consider the best upgrades they've made as far as performance. Mine are the Avid BB-7 brakes and SD-7 levers. They were necessary because the old rim brakes had pretty much stopped working after 3 years. After that the Easton EC-70 carbon bars. They dampen a lot of vibration and make the bike a lot more comfortable to ride. Then the Shimano Deore cranks and BB I took off my other bike. You'd be amazed how much more efficiently the bike pedals with a decent modern pipe spindle type crank. I also put on a used White Bros Rock Solid (carbon) fork. It lightens the front end, improves steering precision and cornering stiffness, and improves the ride a little bit too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best upgrades to your Monocog.-blowhole-101512-002.jpg  

I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

mtbr member
    A cheaper way to improve braking is replacing the brake pads (Koolstop Salmon work great) and cables (use compression-free housing like Goodridge).
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Best cheap upgrade was brakes. I scored a complete set of hardly used BB7 brakes with rotors, levers, etc for $65 about three years ago.

Best upgrade overall was my wheelset.

Signature

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by asphaltdude View Post
    A cheaper way to improve braking is replacing the brake pads (Koolstop Salmon work great) and cables (use compression-free housing like Goodridge).
    True. Eventually the bushings will wear out and you'll need to replace the brakes entirely. I went through 3 or 4 sets of pads before finally upgrading to discs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I built mine up from a frameset that I got cheap, but the things that I like that are maybe "upgradess" are: on-one mary bar, BB-7 (on the front - still have V-brake in back), and a Niner steel fork. Also, I recently got a new front wheel with a Stan's Flow. I love this bike and need to get out on it more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

'10 Monocog Flight

for me, adding stans arch ex tubeless w racing ralphs and secondly adding xt brakes. Those two really turned my cog into something special.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have a stock Monocog with BB-7's. What grips do you guys like to give my hands some relief? Or would a carbon bar be the biggest help?

mtbr member
    ESI grips are on all my bikes. I refuse to run anything else

http://www.amazon.com/ESI-Grips-MTB-.../dp/B00554FMUY
    Specialized Enduro Expert 09
    Redline Monocog 29er 09
    Trek 6700 05

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well carbon bars are great but they're going to cost you. I got my AC70s for $80. It cost $20 to have them cut (you need a special saw to cut them right). I also bought a new, lighter stem while I was at it, and new grips. About $200 overall. You'll also want a torque wrench to avoid overtightening the pinch bolts. The best grips would be ODI or Oury.

mtbr member
    You don't need a special saw to cut carbon. Just tape where you want to cut, make a mark, and use a fine tooth blade in a standard hacksaw to make the cut. Obviously you want to make sure it is square.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well let's say a fine toth blade is a special blade.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The latest upgrade is new wheels. WTB Frequency i19 Comp rims laced 3x32 to a Hope front hub (with interchangeable axles) and a WTB cassette type single speed rear hub with double butted DT spokes and brass nipples. The only stock parts left are the frame and seatpost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best upgrades to your Monocog.-blow-hole-031613-011.jpg  

mtbr member
    It's all about brakes and tires for me. I have been pretty happy with a used set of Deore hydraulic brakes I picked up. I also upgraded the fork to an On-One Carbon this year and I like the way it makes the steering feel and a little dampening is nice at the end of long descents. If I could just figure out why my fork is creaking so much now... Any thoughts by chance?

One of my major complaints about this frame is the 26.8 seat-tube diameter. I would like to upgrade to a lay-back post but options are limited in that size. I am wondering, have any of you found any good deals out there? I know you can get the Thompson in 26.8 but they're a bit expensive for a post that probably won't ever fit on another frame I may own.

I love my Monocog though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shankes3 View Post
    It's all about brakes and tires for me. I have been pretty happy with a used set of Deore hydraulic brakes I picked up. I also upgraded the fork to an On-One Carbon this year and I like the way it makes the steering feel and a little dampening is nice at the end of long descents. If I could just figure out why my fork is creaking so much now... Any thoughts by chance?

One of my major complaints about this frame is the 26.8 seat-tube diameter. I would like to upgrade to a lay-back post but options are limited in that size. I am wondering, have any of you found any good deals out there? I know you can get the Thompson in 26.8 but they're a bit expensive for a post that probably won't ever fit on another frame I may own.

I love my Monocog though!
    I do love my Thudbuster ST

Welcome to Thudbuster.com
    Specialized Enduro Expert 09
    Redline Monocog 29er 09
    Trek 6700 05

Just Ride
    For my cog I bought new a couple months back, I've replaced the brakes with the BB7s and SP7 levers off my old bike. Picked up a pair of Hans Dampf tires (trail star), and a pair of ESI chunky grips. Next on the list is wheels. Thinking WTB i23 laced to Paul hubs. Still saving for those wheels.

The cog seems to have a nice solid frame ripe for upgrades! As it sits its a fun bike to ride. But let it lose some weight and it'll be even more fun!!!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you build up a nice set of wheels I'd strongly recommend that you get a front hub that allows you to convert between 9mm and 15mm axles because you never know when you'll want to upgrade to a suspension fork, and 15mm is the only way to go in that case. I don't know if Paul makes such a hub, but I know Hope does because I have one. It's a super well made hub with bearings that spin forever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Who has upgraded their cranks/bottom bracket and what did you upgrade to?
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Misfit DiSSent SS
    Sette Razzo

Just Ride
    I might be going with Sram X9 or X7 next year. But will probably hold off till I can get the XX1. Regardless it'll be a removable spider. With a GXP style BB. Seems like a GXP should fit, but if someone could confirm that would be great!

Anyway, have my wheels being built this week. Should have them by the end of the week! Pretty stoked about em. WTB frequency i23 laced to phil wood hubs. Pretty heavy for hubs, and the rims aren't the lightest. I actually ride my bike off drops and jumps, blast through rock gardesns...crash. I'm not into racing so durability is far more important than weight!

*update*
    pic!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best upgrades to your Monocog.-new-hoops.jpg  

Last edited by Cormac; 08-03-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Shimano Deore crank and BB off another bike. It's a cheap crank but still a lot lighter and stiffer than what the bike came with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    Who has upgraded their cranks/b
    ottom bracket and what did you upgrade to?
    Shimano Deore Crank and BB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    BB7 brakes, bontrager mustang wheels and rocshox reba all scored from a gf rig I bought really cheap that was too small for me. The shock isn't necessarily an upgrade and I still sometimes run the rigid fork.