mtbr member

Another D440 question. Suspension fork.

What is the D440 built around for suspension? Would 100mm do good?

I tried emailing redline support, but it seems they do not even have a MX record setup for their domain and my mail bounced back to me.

Apr 2007
    IIRC, 80-100mm should be money.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I run a Rock Shox Reba Sl 100mm and seems fine.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Cool.. Looks like I might be in for a wait now. Bike developed a nice creek the other night, i pulled the usual stuff. pulled bottom bracket, cleaned, lubed and rebuilt, pulled seat post (had a noise from the seatpost in the past). And with all that out, the noise was still there. Seems to be coming from the downtube itself. Visual inspection everything looks fine along with welds. Taking the bike to the shop tomorrow to have them check it.

Big time sucks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    could be your saddle, mine does it sometimes but I don't bother changing it.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Bottom bracket and seat post were removed from the bike.. I even removed the water bottle cage bolts.. Noise def. comes from the down tube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Headset mabe?
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    the noise was coming from around the middle of the tube (where it was loudest). I had no headset noise when I checked. But my test for that was turning the bars back and forth, then locked the brakes up and pushed forward on the bike with no noise there.

Guess I can pull the front off the bike after work and check that to make sure.

mtbr member
    Well, since the shop couldn't replicate the noise, nothing got done. I did pull the front apart and clean and lube the headset. Guess this week I'll get what is needed to remove the cups and reinstall so I can clean and lube those. After I do that, I'd pretty much would have taken the whole bike apart and put back together trying to find this noise. Kinda sucks for a bike that I picked up on 3/31...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Did you ride it hard at all and I mean smashing into rocks or something? I have seem cracked frames where it looks like a hair pin crack and the paint is still on. I really doubt you cracked that frame though because they are pretty strong and durable after a year and a half of abuse from me. I ride mine over some of the biggest boulders in PA and race it a lot.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Nope.. No crash, no jumping, etc. This is my 3rd Redline, none of the other's had any issue and the other ones I rode like I stole it.

So, i'm just hoping it's some badly seated headset cups. I've got some new bit's on the way just cause.. New crank set and headset..

But yeah, if it is a hair line crack(which i hope not), I'm prob not gonna know till later on. I'm really trying to remember when the noise started. It might have been on the first ride, but I know for sure the 2nd ride it was making noise. Till I figure this all out, I'm really not riding it much.

mtbr member
    Well.. Drama solved. Took it back to the shop, same noise.. as before (i got my new bits installed just to verify it wasnt something there). It's a lateral noise on the frame, only when putting force on the right hand side, and it seems like it's coming from the TT/DT/HT area.