mtbr member
    Apr 2005

2013 Mono-Belt break in report...

2013 Mono-Belt break in report...-batheat.jpg
    Here's the latest picture of my Mono-Belt...So far, still stock (probably staying that way cause I like it)...So far, 300 miles in, must say that next to my Fatty (Mukluk 2), it's my favorite bike! I guess from all the Fat riding I've been doing, the transition to Single-Speed was seamless, as my strength seems to be getting better every year, and I've yet to need a break during a ride! I love this bike, and other than needing to tighten the belt (too loose from dealer), and installing slime-tubes front and rear after flatting both during initial ride, Bike has been totally bullet Proof! Bike On!!!

mtbr member
    Looks great!
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    What fork is that? It came with the bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mdameron View Post
    What fork is that? It came with the bike?
    It's a Reba-Rock Shox, RL Solo Air...(came stock on the bike)...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That's awesome. Wasn't even an option when I got my 2011 Monocog. The LBS would have put one on, sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Can you please post a few photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Davesnhere View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BatHeat.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	811871
    Here's the latest picture of my Mono-Belt...So far, still stock (probably staying that way cause I like it)...So far, 300 miles in, must say that next to my Fatty (Mukluk 2), it's my favorite bike! I guess from all the Fat riding I've been doing, the transition to Single-Speed was seamless, as my strength seems to be getting better every year, and I've yet to need a break during a ride! I love this bike, and other than needing to tighten the belt (too loose from dealer), and installing slime-tubes front and rear after flatting both during initial ride, Bike has been totally bullet Proof! Bike On!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Monobelt Pics....(not sure what happened to my originals)

I'm not sure what happened to the originals, but here's a few more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Mono-Belt break in report...-belt11.jpg  

2013 Mono-Belt break in report...-beltyy.jpg  

2013 Mono-Belt break in report...-beltmm.jpg  

2013 Mono-Belt break in report...-beltnn.jpg  

2013 Mono-Belt break in report...-belt3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nice looking bike. What size is it and what does it weigh? I have an El Mar, which I love, but it weighs as much as my FS bike with aluminum frame. I have previously owned a monocog flight, and the monobelt looks nice (and comes with a nice fork, stock).

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner...my bike is a 17" (Medium), weight is 26.6lbs w/xtr-trail pedals & Odi Rogue Grips now installed....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We have a Monobelt also. Got it last winter as the only non-rigid Redline 29er SS so it can double as a summer MTB and (with CX tires) a winter cyclocross SS. We put a rigid fork on it for cyclocross.

Love the 'belt. We burned out the BB and rear freewheel in the first four weeks--but it went through 25 wet and muddy cyclocross races in four weekends (I have seven children, and several of us raced it that first month). I also managed to break the belt the first week, but that was from trying to start on a steep uphill from a standing start with my 180+ pounds. RL warrantied it for us, anyway, and we have had no further problem in its next 11 months until now.

My 16-year-old daughter raced it in the High Cascades 100 MTB race last summer--100 miles and 11,400 feet climbing, 14-1/4 hours of pedaling.

Carbon Drive Systems Blog | Gates Corporation

REDLINE BICYCLES ? NEWS ? 16-YEAR-OLD GIRL FINISHES HIGH CASCADES 100 MTB RACE ON REDLINE MONOBELT

And it is still going strong. Great product. This is my favorite winter bike in our Washington/Oregon monsoon season with a non-stock 46/22. The stock 39/22 is a bit low for our winter activity, which includes a lot of cyclocross. No chain to maintain, no chainrings to wear out, and no deraillieur to break. It probably has 1200 miles on it in the last year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    We have a Monobelt also. Got it last winter as the only non-rigid Redline 29er SS so it can double as a summer MTB and (with CX tires) a winter cyclocross SS. We put a rigid fork on it for cyclocross.

Love the 'belt. We burned out the BB and rear freewheel in the first four weeks--but it went through 25 wet and muddy cyclocross races in four weekends (I have seven children, and several of us raced it that first month). I also managed to break the belt the first week, but that was from trying to start on a steep uphill from a standing start with my 180+ pounds. RL warrantied it for us, anyway, and we have had no further problem in its next 11 months until now.

My 16-year-old daughter raced it in the High Cascades 100 MTB race last summer--100 miles and 11,400 feet climbing, 14-1/4 hours of pedaling.

Carbon Drive Systems Blog | Gates Corporation

REDLINE BICYCLES ? NEWS ? 16-YEAR-OLD GIRL FINISHES HIGH CASCADES 100 MTB RACE ON REDLINE MONOBELT

And it is still going strong. Great product. This is my favorite winter bike in our Washington/Oregon monsoon season with a non-stock 46/22. The stock 39/22 is a bit low for our winter activity, which includes a lot of cyclocross. No chain to maintain, no chainrings to wear out, and no deraillieur to break. It probably has 1200 miles on it in the last year.
    Great write-up, including details of your daughter's ultra on the monobelt.

What's required to change the stock gearing with the belt drive? Also, on my old monocog flight, I could really shorten the wheelbase (and effective chainstay length) by sliding the rear wheel forward in the horizontal dropouts. ANy ability to make this adjustment on the monobelt? Thanks.

Big Tiki

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There is sufficient adjustment in the rear to handle belt tension, but not quite enough to handle a change of gear ratio. The next step up from the stock front 39T is 46T ($66)--and that required a step up from a 113T to 115T belt ($69.00). So the net cost was $135. I believe that 22T is the smallest CenterTrack rear cog available, so reducing the rear is not an option, and 46T is the largest Center-Track front sprocket. There are also non-CenterTrack sprockets, cogs, and belts available, so I assume there are other bicycles (maybe cyclocross) that use larger Gates front sprockets. However, I also assume that the CenterTrack is superior for mountain biking because there is no way for the belt to slip off.

The good news is that this stuff just does not wear like a chain drive, even in our wet, muddy, and gritty Washington (State) winters. We are rather hard on our stuff, each of us going through a full power train on our chained MTB/CX bikes each year, but the belt has performed flawlessly. Except for the first week, when I actually broke a belt (which Redline warrantied for us), and replacing the rear hub with a tougher-than-stock Hope hub, we have had zero problems with the belt drive system.

When Gates did the interview with my daughter for their blog that I linked above, they then sent us a full set of extra belts (113 & 115T), a rear cog, and two front sprockets. So we are likely supplied for years of Mono-belting. It is in demand enough in our household that I may have to buy another soon.

One note on tires: just before the High Cascades 100, we switched out the stock rear tire with a 2.2 Kenda Nevegal to help in the dust of the Oregon high desert (Bend). This worked fine, but we saw after the race that for 100 miles, the side tread had rubbed the paint off the seatstays (or maybe it was the chainstays--I cannot remember at the moment). In the interest of not eventually wearing the frame until it broke and voiding the warranty (to say nothing of a nasty crash if that were to happen), we went back to a slightly smaller tire after that race.

So be sure to check any new fat tires to ensure that there is no point of contact with the frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post

The good news is that this stuff just does not wear like a chain drive, even in our wet, muddy, and gritty Washington (State) winters. We are rather hard on our stuff, each of us going through a full power train on our chained MTB/CX bikes each year, but the belt has performed flawlessly. Except for the first week, when I actually broke a belt (which Redline warrantied for us), and replacing the rear hub with a tougher-than-stock Hope hub, we have had zero problems with the belt drive system.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I have a set of Stans Flow wheels with the ZTR dedicated single speed hub in the rear. I'm assuming this ss hub would work with the belt drive "chain line," but sometimes mechanical issues are counterintuitive. Any thoughts on the ss hub compatibility?

My previous monocog flight had terribly heavy wheels, but once I replaced them and added a suspension fork, the bike quickly became my favorite ride. I subsequently replaced the MCF with an El Mar which I love, but the center-track belt drive is the pinnacle of SS simplicity and has been whispering in my ear. Your glowing review confirmed what I've read elsewhere. Thanks again, and congrats to your daughter.

Big Tiki

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am a bit out of my element with specifics of hub compatibility, so I am not sure on the match. I did manage to build a new rear wheel from scratch (Hope Pro 2 Evo SS Disc Hub and Mavic TN319 Disc Rim) after we went through two stock Redline freehub bodies in the first several weeks on the 'belt.

Even with the Hope, I still notice what feels like a small skip occasionally when grinding up steep hills, and I cannot tell if it is a hub issue or if the belt is actually skipping a tooth. Tension seems to be correct per factory specs (I actually bought the belt tension measurement tool), but maybe there is a bit more than meets the eye.

I also just remembered one other slightly weak part of the Redline system: the split-frame split. These are steel (subject to a bit of rust), very tight, and only 3mm allen socket. After our last wet spring, the head bound so tightly that the allen socket (and wrenches) stripped. We eventually had to cut a slot across the top of the screw with a Dremel tool and use an impact driver to get it out--not something one can do on the trail (we go far enough from the road that we do actually carry a spare belt with us, so being able to replace it in the field is critical, even though very unlikely).

I replaced the stock split-frame screws with new ones: stainless steel, well-greased under the head and on the threads, and long enough to put a nyloc nut on the inside to keep them from backing out. That way, if they ever bind, we can remove the nut use a pair of pliers or vice grips on the inside to turn the bolt out. We have had no further problem in this regard, even when wet, since that change. I am not sure how Redline could improve that, or maybe they just need a specific note on lube/maintenance for those bolts.

Even as a matter of regular maintenance, it would be good to take out those two bolts occasionally to ensure that they turn without stripping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Brain - thanks for the additional info and tips. I like the Spot Rocker split frame design better, but the redline monobelt is a better value (at least for me). A highly skilled mechanic friend had a bike with non-center track belt drive and complained of the belt skipping under load. Between the belt skipping the tooth or the Hope hub's large pawls slipping, I'd bet money the belt's to blame. Sounds like its not much of an issue for you though. Thanks again for addressing the strengths and weakness of this bike. Your candor inspires confidence in making an informed decision to buy this bike. Perhaps their have been some additional refinements in the 2014 model, just revealed at Interbike/outerbike,eurobike, or some other show. Thanks again for generously sharing your time and knowledge.

Big Tiki