mtbr member
    Aug 2010

2011 vs 2010 D440 help

I have been eyeballing the D440 for a little while now and was planning to put down a deposit at my LBS really soon. Then the 2011 is released and I am now a bit unsure. I havenít seen pricing yet, but I assume it should be about the same, with maybe a small bump for the additional gears, shifter, derailleur, etc. Styling wise, I prefer the look of the 2010 over the 2011 , and the geometry appears to be the same. What I am looking for are opinions on whether I should head to the LBS asap and place an order for a 2010 while I can, or just wait it out and order a 2011?

From the specs on the Redline website, these are the differences I see on the 2011 vs. the 2010.

Shimano FDM 191 Frt Der vs. No Frt Der
    SRAM E400 28-32T Crank vs. Redline Alloy 34T Crank
    WTB Exi Wolf 29x2.3 Tires vs. WTB Vulpine 29x2.1 Tires
    Kore Riser 6061 31.8x680 Bars vs. Syncros AM 20 OS Riser 31.8 x 20mm Rise Bars
    Kore Race 34 Stem vs. Syncros AM 31.8 Stem

So the big question is, do I bite the bullet now, or wait and get the 2011? I donít think the extra gears is necessary for me, but it could be a nice bonus. How do the tires, bars and stem compare? The color isnít a deal breaker for me, but I definitely prefer the dark blue to the gray and white. Though it is growing on me a bit.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or recommendations you may have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    One day, 24 views, and not a single thought? A bit disappointing.

mtbr member
    Nope No thoughts. Seems like a good bike. As to differences between bar and stem etc. Toss a coin same same
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The crank on the new one is 28-38 (not 28-32, that would be weird).

I'm going to get next year's. I like the styling of this year's better too, but I want mine to function as a commuter/tourer/backup mtb for visitors, so I have no problem going to the double up front. As far as the rest of the changes, I'm pretty sure they're negligible.

That being said, if you can get a much better price on this year's, go for it. I'm pretty sure that my shop is going to push next year's on me, though, and I'm not going to fight it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    rton20s...hope you don't mind a slight thread redirection?
    i've been shopping for 1 of those super-low priced 29er monocogs that everybody but me seems to be able to find. a shop i stopped at earlier today had '10 d440 in my size. when i really think about it, i am not all that dedicated to ss & maybe would not mind having a few gears. he wanted $550+tax which seemed awfully hi to me considering it is last year's leftover of a model that saw a lot of changes in '11. so i walked.
    am i being unreasonable & passing up a good deal?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It's not a smokin' deal. If it seemed high to you, then you made the right decision not to buy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've pretty much settled on an '11 D440 myself at this point. Just waiting to get enough cash up to pick up that plus a Specialized Ariel for the wife. $600 is what I was quoted to order one of the few remaining 17" '10 D440s from SBS by my LBS. They had to toss in $50 for a special order delivery fee. That is why I skipped on the '10. $550 is regular price around here. Unless you really want that specific bike markaitch, I would skip it.

Apr 2007
    If I were in your position, I'd go for the 2011. It is more cost effective, because if you decide to get gears up front later on, it would be that much more tacked onto the $550 figure.

tmw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Have a 2009 d440 (black) - 3500 + miles on it and it is great bike (of course it has a few upgrades). Good luck on your choice

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Go with the 2011. I have the 2010 and the tires aren't even fit to ride the trails with, you only have a single ring up front plus the newer model has a better crank, and there are other things that are a bit better. I love mine in fact I have racked up about 1300 bucks upgrading. I have a reba sl fork, upgraded to x7 shifters BB7 brakes and a double crank, plus lots more. Either way the bike is basically the same and the older one has cable bosses for everthing you need and want.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    I'm looking at the 2010 myself, just due to it's $100 cheaper. I have spare parts around, so upgrading the crank is easy. I've converted most of my bikes to 1 ring up front, never found a need for 2 or 3.

I am not fond of what the '10's have for tires, but I'll replace em. Other then that, the $100 savings are disc brake upgrade for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yeah I would go with Avid BB7's
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Is upgrading to disc brakes on the d440 a DIY job, or would I need to have a bike shop do it? I honestly have no idea what it entails as I am a beginner and haven't ridden a bike in 10+ years. I ended up purchasing a 2011 today (should be able to pick it up tonight). I asked the sales guy about the cost of going to disc brakes, and he said it'd be around $200 for BB7's installed... so I'm wondering how I do it for closer to $100?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Its easy, if you have disk tabs on the frame and disk hubs, your good. Just mount them up and then run your cables and finally center the pads. I think there are a few good vids on youtube.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'