lone rider

2010 Monocog, 26 or 29?

Well, I am looking to buy a complete Monocog, seems the biggest issue is the wheel size.

I rode a 29er (07 GF Paragon) and enjoyed it, but the steering felt sluggish to me. The frame was a bit too large, but I still feel the wheels were the culprit in slowing down the handling. I'm hesitant to get a 29" Monocog for similar reasons, compounded by the fact I'll likely get a small frame. Any one experience toe overlap on the small 29ers?

Ideally, I would 650b a Surly 1x1, but that's not in the budget. So, now I'm stuck, would a 26" Monocog be a good choice? I'm worried the ride might be a bit harsh, especially given that I will not be able to run larger volume 29" tires. Does anyone know the A2C measurements of the 26 and 29 Monocog? I have an Origin 8 carbon fork here that might help out sort out some of the rough ride if it is the right size and offset.

TIA
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

adult onset ADHD
    Let me know what happens. I have the same questions as you do.
    I have a GF Kaitai 29er 2007 with G1 Geometry and it too feels sluggish on the trail.
    I am just about ready to order a 2010 26er cog because I know that the 19" will be the right size and feel.
    However, the 29er is the same price and I am having a dilemma, the 26er will perform on the trail just as I expect and if I put on high volume tubeless tires. I can predict the ride.
    the 29er is more difficult to anticipate the ride. the tubing on the frame look a little undersized for a 29" bike, but I am just taking a s.w.a.g. at it.
    Respect your local Woodland Spirits

WNY Mountain Biking Assoc.

lone rider
    Well, I should have a ride report for you, but...

A LBS has a 26 and 29 in stock, but I did not go for a test ride. I was laid off on Friday, so no bike purchasing until I find another job. Let me know how they feel if you go for a test ride.
    --Bill Hicks

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

put it like this

i started with the orig. cannondale with 24" rear and 26" up front...nothing to date has handled as well as that...period....a regular 26" will feel more nimble than a 29er...period.
    After going through 65? mountain and cross bikes I recently got the redline d440 and after my c-dale jekyll it was like starting over and not knowing how to ride at all!

but, i stuck with it as i started noticing things like....man i can't believe the amount of lean i can get in that corner, i actually didn't slip out when climbing that hill, with little to no suspension and a deflated tire, it feels great on the roots and big log piles...and the speed downhill is fastnfluid
    . the nimbleness is coming back as it is taking me a while to actually respond SLOWER than normal with better results...in fact the only 2 cons I have with the niner is its weight and (ability to bunny hop) and wheels seem to need more truing...but i have cheap wheels! but these problems are because im a fatass and broke.

that all being said, I wont be going back to 26"...ever.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've always wanted to see if 650b wheels would fit in the 26er mc. That would be a fun project although adding much cost to the cost effective bike.
    Good luck on the job search.

mtbr member
    Inside of a year, I went from a '96 Stumpjumper FS to a '07 Cannondale Rush 4 to a Monocog Flight 29. (well, I still have all three bikes)

In terms of pure flickability, the 26" Stumpy HT wins. It is the lightest bike and with the 26" wheels, can be tossed around at will. Down side is that it is the most twitchy and you have to be used to the bike moving around quite a bit.

The 26" F/S bike with 69* HA is pretty stable. It likes to go a bit faster and wants to be piloted rather than tossed. It is the least flickable with the longest wheelbase. However, it is the smoothest and most confidence inspiring when the speeds pick up.

The 29" 'Cog is very interesting. It is very fun a moderate speeds. Actually, it is the same speed anywhere; smooth or technical. So the more technical the trail, the more towards the front of the pack I go. The smoother the trail, I get passed by gears.

It has the most traction for climbing, cornering and with the altered riding style, I pass wet root and rock sections with ease. This is where I pull away from the others most notably. I also catch many riders as we enter corners and keep eating ground on them through the corners. Not until we exit and they sprint to the next corner do I lose ground.

It is not quite as tossable as the Stumpy. But with the rigid bike, is very precise as long as I can keep the chatter under control with subtle arm and leg pressures.

I think if I were to go 26", I'd really opt for a suspension fork. But I think the combination of 29 wheels, fatter tires, really compliments the SS's MOMENTUM bike style which is sort of my style of riding.
    Just get out and ride!

Ovaries on the Outside
    Not that I want to revive a really old thread, but I was doing a search an this one popped up.

I have some pertinent information- 650b does fit in the standard 26" MC, but no more than 2.1 Nevs in the back, even with the tire way back in the dropout. I know about the 26" Flight in a bit, but my guess is nope.

lone rider
    Good stuff, thanks for posting up on the 650b information.

I was able to locate a very inexpensive 07' Monocog 29er and picked it up. Steering does feel a bit slow for me from time to time, but overall it is a fantastic bike.

I'll keep my eyes open for a used 26" Monocog, a 650b winter project sounds like fun.
    --Bill Hicks